The Beer Thread

Yes that would be an appropriate assumption about the states.  

I'm a big fan of beers from the UK as well.  My favorite is Youngs Luxury Double Chocolate Stout.  I got hooked on quite a few UK beers when I was stationed in Europe years ago.

Youngs is a very old brewery and that's a nice beer but heavy, we are now getting a lot of unusual flavoured ales because there are now a lot more female brewers here who are happy to try different things.

I live in hop picking country so am pretty spoilt when it comes to choice, I'm also not far from Europe so it's easy to get the nice trappist beers from France or Belgium

Youngs is a very old brewery and that's a nice beer but heavy, we are now getting a lot of unusual flavoured ales because there are now a lot more female brewers here who are happy to try different things.

I live in hop picking country so am pretty spoilt when it comes to choice, I'm also not far from Europe so it's easy to get the nice trappist beers from France or Belgium

I agree its a heavy beer, which I usually stick to just one or two.

Anyone in or around VT that can get some Heady Topper? I'll send money for a case + shipping.

I need to try this as IIPA's are my favorite style and I just love beer

Every person I know who's tried to ship beer has had mixed results, most of the time it didn't arrive.  Since it isn't legal to ship alcohol across state lines through them, USPS usually confiscates it.  I'm not sure how FedEx/UPS handle it, so you might have better luck with them, but I don't know for sure.  I know it's expensive due to weight.

I think you're best option is to use an online beer store of some kind : http://onlinebeerstores.homestead.com/

I ship beer all the time. Never had it confiscated.

Interesting.  I haven't tried it myself, but all the people I know who've tried have given up.  I know that USPS wants the law to change, they think it'll increase their revenue stream.  http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/02/news/economy/postal-service-beer/index.html

I couldn't get tickets this year :(

I couldn't either :( I had some in my cart but I foolishly had friends convince me otherwise.  Won't be missing out next year though.

Now, I'm not the biggest follower of trying microbrews, but I try to keep up.  Wynkoop's Drunken Pumpkin might be my new favorite pumpkin beer. So flavorful but not overpowering.  Not sure if anyone's talked about it yet, I suppose I could rummage through these pages.

I've shipped beer without a problem a number of times. I've always used FedEx, never the USPS.

JDTG I live in VT and can easily get Heady Topper. PM me. On the off chance you live in San Francisco I'm here until Mon. and have a couple with me.

I always use the USPS. I guess I have been lucky.

So many new Untappd badges...

I'd be so down for some beer swapping.  RVA is blowing up with local craft breweries in the past year. The standout is Hardywood, which has currently has a 100 (Gingerbread stout) and 99 (Hoplar) from Beer Advocate in it's first year of business.  The pumpkin they have now is great.