The Beer Thread

Anyone have any suggestions for good mid-range beers, like <$10 for a six pack. I've been kinda bummed on beer lately. The prices keep going up while the quality goes to shit. Pretty much every time I go to the beer store I end up just picking up Yuengling or Sam Adams Octoberfest because I'm tired of getting hosed by second rate craft beers. I'm also pretty fatigued by breweries feeling the need to make all of their beers the most extreme version of a style. I just want to enjoy a nice beer or two before bed, y'know?

I was thinking about it, and my go to kind of national drink is Magic Hat #9.  I really like it.

This is not cheap by me.  It's like $9-$10 for this 6 pack.  

hmm. regional differences maybe. i usually see it right at $8.99, which is what PraiseMorph was looking for (<$10). I don't think I've ever bought #9, but if memory serves me correct, it's usually 7.99, but it's been a couple years since i worked in a bottle shop. ah, the good ole days, haha.

Did anyone else try the New Belgium 'Sin and Tonic' last night? it was  a collab beer between Kim Jordan  and the Girls Pint Night Out (GPO) founder. 

It was supposed to basically emulate a gin and tonic, but with the base beer being a small-ish IPA, brewed with lime, quinine (the compound in soda water), juniper berries, and dry hopped with Sorachi Ace.

If you like gin, it was awesome. If you don't like gin (this guy), it was hard to choke down. Still a neat idea though

Did anyone else try the New Belgium 'Sin and Tonic' last night? it was  a collab beer between Kim Jordan  and the Girls Pint Night Out (GPO) founder. 

It was supposed to basically emulate a gin and tonic, but with the base beer being a small-ish IPA, brewed with lime, quinine (the compound in soda water), juniper berries, and dry hopped with Sorachi Ace.

If you like gin, it was awesome. If you don't like gin (this guy), it was hard to choke down. Still a neat idea though

Sounds pretty interesting, although I'm not a gin fan.

Is it at all similar to Rogue's Juniper pale ale?

On the NB collaboration note, I had their collab with Dragoon (Tucson, AZ brewery) called Westerbru the other night on tap. It was delicious. It's a hoppy fall lager but seemed more like a hopped brown ale to me (may have had a few before trying it). 

Wasn't a huge fan of Old Man Winter Ale but I'd be willing to try it again it was a long time ago that I had it last. Went on the Lakefront Brewery tour today it was pretty fun. I always enjoy going on brewery tours though, best ever really has to be Milwaukee Brewing Company, it's basically open bar for like 2 hours and pint glass for $10.

Wasn't a huge fan of Old Man Winter Ale but I'd be willing to try it again it was a long time ago that I had it last. Went on the Lakefront Brewery tour today it was pretty fun. I always enjoy going on brewery tours though, best ever really has to be Milwaukee Brewing Company, it's basically open bar for like 2 hours and pint glass for $10.

The 2XMas was good.  Not as strong of a taste as Great Lakes or Thirsty Dog.  I would like to try the Old Man Winter Ale though.

Sounds pretty interesting, although I'm not a gin fan.

Is it at all similar to Rogue's Juniper pale ale?

Not really, i can get behind some Juniper Pale, but this was hitting all the qualities of a gin and tonic, not just that juniper bite. Sin & Tonic probably isn't a bad beer, just not good beer for me, haha.

my wife and i just joined the craft beer monthly club at a local shop.

we got a really nice beer glass for joining, and this month's selections were:

ommegang game of thrones take the black stout

karbach krunkin pumpkin

widmer barrel aged brrbon '12

stone ruination ipa

pretty excited to see what comes next

my wife and i just joined the craft beer monthly club at a local shop.

we got a really nice beer glass for joining, and this month's selections were:

ommegang game of thrones take the black stout

karbach krunkin pumpkin

widmer barrel aged brrbon '12

stone ruination ipa

pretty excited to see what comes next

I have a lot of beer drinking aquaintances from the Houston area that keep posting pictures of Krunkin Pumpkin on their instagrams and I am insanely jealous. I've never tried it, but I've tried Hopadillo, and it was fucking delicious. I assume Karbach knows what they're doing.