The Beer Thread

Although the thing I like about the 90 Minute IPA is that it doesn't taste a whole lot like an IPA. If it's overly hoppy, I probably won't be into it.

out of  curiosity, what do you think falls into that category of too hoppy?

At this point I actually try to avoid most IPAs just because they're just not my favorite. Not all of them are too hoppy though, and some of it depends on the weather too; if it's really hot out a nice hoppy pale ale isn't too bad.

I seem to remember Saranac being pretty hoppy, some of the Lagunitas ones are a little much for me most of the time, but I do enjoy them occasionally. Double Mountain has some that are a little much for me too aaaaand...I think they went out of business, but Amnesia had some that were over the line for me.

People seem to be obsessed with IPA anymore though, that's most of what I'm referring to.

It sucks that I won't quite be 21 when I'll be in Seattle and Portland in a few weeks.  I've been drinking legally here for over two years, but I won't be able to try out all the local brews on the trip.

That's a super bummer. I sometimes forget about drinking age being lower in Canada, even though I used to take advantage of it when I lived in upstate New York.

People seem to be obsessed with IPA anymore though, that's most of what I'm referring to.

Seriously, people need to stop with IPAs. There are other beers out there.

I think IPA fatigue has set in, a lot of the smaller brewers by me are entering the market with different offerings and I've seen a decent swing towards saisons, sours and other esoteric and heritage styles. 

I'm cool with IPA's but I'm happy to see a lot more lower ABV versions hit the market. I'm worn out on the 7% to 10% stuff. 

I think IPA fatigue has set in, a lot of the smaller brewers by me are entering the market with different offerings and I've seen a decent swing towards saisons, sours and other esoteric and heritage styles. 

I'm cool with IPA's but I'm happy to see a lot more lower ABV versions hit the market. I'm worn out on the 7% to 10% stuff.

The Founders All Day IPA is a great one. I believe it's 4.7%. Perfect lawn mower beer.

Yeah, Lakefront just put out an India Session Ale and it's pretty alright. Definitely will give it a go on some 90 degree July day. ALSO, HERE'S A THING! Normally I'm not too big on mixing juice into beer, BUT IPA WITH A SPLASH OF GRAPEFRUIT JUICE! TRY IT! IT'S FUCKING GREAT!

Yeah, Lakefront just put out an India Session Ale and it's pretty alright. Definitely will give it a go on some 90 degree July day. ALSO, HERE'S A THING! Normally I'm not too big on mixing juice into beer, BUT IPA WITH A SPLASH OF GRAPEFRUIT JUICE! TRY IT! IT'S FUCKING GREAT!

Yeah I saw that the other day, and almost pulled the trigger just because it was vinyl related haha.  But decided to hold off until the beer fridge goes down some.

Anybody from North Carolina ever have Foothills brewery? They have some seriously fantastic IPA's, definitely a brewery I see far bigger things for in the coming years. 

yeah, Foothills has some seriously gross offerings (Sorry Torch Pilsner and Hoppyum), but all in all, their beers are real solid. Jade is one of my top 5 IPAs in the state. Plus every year Sexual Chocolate (and BBL Sexual Chocolate) get released, the beer world's collective boner gets real big, haha. I just looked and given how saturated they are in NC, I was surprised to find out they are only in 4 states (and DC, but DC doesn't count. they get everything).

as far as super awesome (and newer) breweries in this state, y'all should keep an eye on

-Fonta Flora. (They're making some of the coolest beers running right now. And almost all of them are super sessionable and unique but beer first. So think Dogfish stuff, if they focused on making good beer then adding weird shit).

-Haw River Farmhouse Ales. Almost open, but everything I said about FF. Plus the owner has some pretty ambitious ideas for sours, and brettanomyces beers in general.

-NODA Brewing. Just won a gold medal at this years World Beer Cup in the IPA category over 224 other entries (aka fucking insane for a small NC brewery).

Burial - These dudes are basically brewing all week to have enough beer to be open on the weekends haha. Their system is only a little bigger than my homebrew setup, but they are killing it. 

Starpoint - Makes a Wheat/Rye Double IPA that I think is fucking awesome. (Disclaimer: I've also been known to brew here  :D)