5296.png

Your favorite band’s favorite band, Self Defense Family enjoys a distinct renown within the punk community. Well-respected and critically lauded but difficult and idiosyncratic, the band has done things their way almost to a fault. Eschewing sing-alongs and easy anthems in favor of personal lyrics, they stand apart from their contemporaries in punk and hardcore. Their strangely tense guitar-work framed within otherwise hook laden songs lends the band an unmistakable sound. Opting to be heavy in emotion rather than heavy in sound. Led by vocalist, lyricist, and personality Patrick Kindlon, Self Defense Family have extended their branches to organically include touring and session musicians. Allowing them to evolve into a musical collective with more than ten active members at any given time. Interestingly enough, no member of the assemblage has played every show or played on every recording by the collective. "Try Me", Self Defense Family's latest full length offering, will be released January 7th, 2014 on Deathwish.

AOTY 2014

Sincerely and You Are Beneath Me are two of my favorite albums of all time and their 7"s and splits always rule. Their song off that free RFC Mixed Singles 7" (which I missed out on) is one of the best things I heard all year. Of course it's REALLY old and doesn't reflect at all how the LP will sound.

• 1 month later...

I can understand that - first off Patrick's voice is an acquired taste on its own.  and Drug Church offers something easier to latch onto musically because it's fast and ready for the pit (yes I hate myself for typing that out as well)

while SDF is definitely more lyrically-based and the music kinda meanders at times and takes interesting directions.  Drug Church is more immediate for me as well but I've found End of a Year/SDF to have a little more substance and stand up well over time.