Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Wow, will be a labor of love for sure, king.., but don't feel guilty if it becomes a monster and too much to handle!!!  I don't see a need to credit - I think this group is pretty much beyond the 'I discovered this band' phase of maturity, but do as you wish with that one.

We all have gaps like YMDITD (well I do anyway)   I thought you would have heard them on the GFE split:  Harmonic Motion Volume 1 when you were on the GFE kick.  Andrew with GFE told me at a show that Split would never see wax because it would have to be re-recorded/quality issues. :(

I would have linked you to them sooner. Great chops, proggy, mathy, posty, you name it... talented.  Sheath mentioned doing a 7" with them this year. But I don't know if that's going to happen soon.  They have been super DIY up to this point.

Glad you liked the tracks from The Clouds Will Clear EP - another tip from Dani at echosanddust.

And for those in the thread who liked Silent Whale Becomes A Dream and couldn't find the CD -- it will be pressed on vinyl and soon. The TP's are in/approved and the label owner contacted me (and prob everyone else on discogs who had it in their want list) to be on the lookout.  Only thing it is yet another from Europe (France), so a group buy may be offered up.

Well, I've made it through 10 pages so far with 164 different bands mentioned. Only some with links.

I was thinking, should I include some kind of "endorsement" rating with each band? I think it would make certain bands stand out & anyone new to the genre can target those bands first? I was just thinking give each band 1 star * per endorsement. Now, it would take the majority of the regulars here to give me a list of who you'd like to "endorse" so I can give each band a rating. And then from here on, if someone posts a band, someone else can either "endorse" it or not.

What do you guys think? Too much?

Well, might as well list a few (even though I'm sure some are already mentioned):

• Caspian
  • pg.lost
  • Giants
  • God Is An Astronaut
  • If These Trees Could Talk
  • This Will Destroy You
  • Toundra
  • Lite
  • Mogwai
  • Russian Circles
  • 65daysofstatic
  • Gifts From Enola
  • Hammock
  • Year Of No Light
  • Kokomo
  • Thisquietarmy
  • *shels
  • The Shaking Sensations
  • Glaciers
  • deadhorse
  • sleepmakeswaves
  • Cloudkicker
  • Vasudeva
  • Set And Setting
  • Red Sparowes
  • Omega Massif
  • Oak
  • Wang Wen
  • Pelican
  • Damascus
  • Earth
  • Earthless
  • Lavinia
  • Beware of Safety
  • Godspeed
  • Collapse Under The Empire
  • Jakob
  • toe
  • Battles
  • Maserati
  • Tuber
  • Lost In Kiev
  • Followed By Ghosts
  • we.own.the.sky
  • Last Lungs
  • Lights At Sea

(Would add more if I wasn't at work, but that's some of my favorites off the top of my head.)

That is certainly a right solid list especially just jotting down from memory!

Re: ratings and such, if you want to, that's also going to be quite a challenge - but I don't think necessary since so subjective and things change over time.  I can't believe how much metal I like now vs. just 2 years ago. Funny on Sputnik how many times the 4+ albums are 'good' to me but that 3.1 album is just the killer!

My idea on ratings, to keep things simple but effective: all of us pick a "top 10" or so from that list.  And for every "Top 10" that an artist appears on, they get a ★ or something similar next to their name.  Could be a quick way to note which artists are sort of universally accepted as post-(whatever) kingpins, and which are niché favorites.

If you wanted any help with the formatting and display of the OP, let me know.  I really enjoy that kind of stuff.

Ok I've made it through the thread & listed 229 bands in the OP. List is sloppy for now but at least we have something.

My idea on ratings, to keep things simple but effective: all of us pick a "top 10" or so from that list.  And for every "Top 10" that an artist appears on, they get a ★ or something similar next to their name.  Could be a quick way to note which artists are sort of universally accepted as post-(whatever) kingpins, and which are niché favorites.

If you wanted any help with the formatting and display of the OP, let me know.  I really enjoy that kind of stuff.

I agree 100% with your idea on ratings. That's what I was thinking.

I'd love some assistance with beautifying the list. I've seen your work (maybeshewill thread) & I know you can make it look nice.

You can probably copy/paste/edit/pm back to me & then I just edit the OP.

Also, I can work on links for the bands missing them.

And obviously, if there are bands I overlooked (biggies), call me out on that & I'll update.

In the meantime, send me your top tens!

Too kind, guys.

I'll chip away at a format and bounce some ideas off you guys, to see what looks best.  So we can get started, is anyone willing to contribute a Top 10 for the sake of playing with the formatting / features?

Also, I don't know if it's intended or not, but the giant Youtube videos in the middle of the list are a little off-putting.  My only gripe.

Off topic... a new on bandcamp today/yesterday (8/6/14) depending upon what time zone. Wess Meets West :)

http://wessmeetswest.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-riverworks

Also, my daughter asked me to check out a band she had been listening to this week, Final Days Society.  They are from Sweden, been out a while, flew under my radar. A very enjoyable listen like Immanu El's early days, or Ef's Mourning Golden Morning, ya know, that lighter and pleasing postrock, like an ocean breeze.

http://youtu.be/s54W6z9yTIA  (no annoying you tube screen  ;) )

Back on topic, you don't know going down that list one page 1 just warmed my heart to the 'nth' degree :wub:

Also, is it a given that Sigur Ros, EiTS, Mono, GY!BE and Mogwai are sort of already "top ten" in the post-universe and not waste a * on them?

Any others you want to add to 'the entrenched in stone' that hit top ten lists often enough like Caspian, Russian Circles, GIAA, Jakob (ahem),..., or just keep the big 5 and burn our 10 on the other 224? 

Dang, it's going to be difficult to do a top 25! I have tried before. I have narrowed to 10. It hurts to leave off some of those 15 tied for tenth place.

Maybe down the road we could do a rating for the Top Ten 'new' discoveries of the year' too?  Well, scratch that, because that is what this thread has been for me, discovering 'new' stuff from all over the globe youse guys and gals have dug up on your free time, or being reminded of things sampled and forgotten.

Also, is it a given that Sigur Ros, EiTS, Mono, GY!BE and Mogwai are sort of already "top ten" in the post-universe and not waste a * on them?

Any others you want to add to 'the entrenched in stone' that hit top ten lists often enough like Caspian, Russian Circles, GIAA, Jakob (ahem),..., or just keep the big 5 and burn our 10 on the other 224? 

Personally, I think that if the artist is a top 10 for you, they should get a star.  The idea of the list isn't supposed to be a pissing match between our favorite bands – I think it should be informative to new users who want to explore instrumental music and need a stepping stone.  (Because, let's face it: there's a lot of good stuff out there.  It can be overwhelming.)  So, yeah, it may be "a given" that GY!BE will earn a star from a lot of folks... but that's exactly the point.  A new user should see that and think "Oh, wow, that "Godspeed!-whatever group has 12 seals of approval.  They must be worth checking out."

Just my take, anyway.  I think we'll all overlap on a few artists... but if we're limited to 10, I'm sure we'll be evaluating our picks very carefully and determining what to vote for.  And at that point I imagine we'll see some variety.  Because as influential as Mono are to post-rock, and as beautiful as their music can be, I still wouldn't put them in a top 10 when you consider their entire discography.  That's speaking personally.  (Don't you roll those eyes too hard, Batman.)  Others will disagree, and that's the beauty of it.  That's where I think the star ratings will really shine.

Myself, I'll be evaluating a band's entire discography before I consider awarding them a star (or whatever we end up using).  Groups like Russian Circles - who don't have a single dud of an album in their discography, if you ask me - will fare better against a group like Sleepmakeswaves, who have a less consistent catalog.  I'm not establishing the guidelines for voting by any means, but I do encourage everyone else to really consider their nominations, and avoid votes for artists that you're just currently into, or artists with a "so-so" discography that contain one of your favorite albums of all time.

On that note, I don't think that the nominations should be set in stone.  They should probably be fairly concrete, and it should be publicly posted if you change your selections, so King can adjust the OP accordingly.  I understand that times change and tastes change with it, but no one should be flip-flopping their favorites every other week.  And we don't necessarily have to do a top 10.  Maybe a top 15?  Top 20?  Top X, where X is 10% of the total artists listed in the OP, and changes over time?

And finally, my big question: what belongs in this thread?  All instrumental music?  So ambient, drone, neo classical, etc.?  All post-music?  (Post-rock, post-metal, math rock, etc.?)  They seem like opposite ends on a very broad spectrum.  And in addition, what about bands that incorporate a bit of vocals?  Maybe they're washed out and only one some tracks, like Appleseed Cast?  Or maybe they're on every song, but sprinkled through instrumental passages, like Isis?  Surely you wouldn't argue that Appleseed is exemplary post-rock, and Isis set the template for post-metal... right?  And Sigur Rós?  What the hell do you do with Sigur Rós?  We need to solidify what constitutes an entry for this thread, and what does not.

Here's a quick draft for you guys.  I think every artist should have a clean "listen" link below their name.  We should have a basic system of which links to provide, such as Bandcamp > Last.fm > Youtube.  I also really like the idea of "tags" (which are the genres and descriptions to the right of the link) to provide a sort of direction.  As long as we don't find ourselves debating about which tags are more accurate, the idea is to have the first tag encompass the primary sound, with the proceeding ones following in importance.  Check Isis for a good example of what I'm referring to.  Again, these is just an idea.  Very open to suggestions.  If we establish a system that works and a color scheme that's appealing, I'd be glad to design some headers to make things look a bit more official and ornate.

65daysofstatic
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ ELECTRONIC

Balmorhea
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-FOLK ▸ NEO-CLASSICAL ▸ ACOUSTIC

Caspian
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK

Damascus
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ POST-METAL ▸ EXPERIMENTAL

Isis
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-METAL ▸ SLUDGE ▸ VOCALS

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ EXPERIMENTAL ▸ AMBIENT

Pelican
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ POST-METAL

Sigur Rós
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ AMBIENT ▸ VOCALS

Tycho
▲ LISTEN / ▸ ELECTRONIC ▸ CHILL ▸ AMBIENT

Few things and then I have to get back to work lol.

1 - I didn't think about linking Youtube videos in my initial post.  I will get those removed.

2 - I also was conflicted about including bands with vocals.  I guess if we are going to try and encompass all bands that have that "post-ish" style sound, we should include vocals as well.  I guess maybe the criteria can be any band with no vocals, or where vocals aren't the focal point of the music.  I think bands like Sigur Ros and The Appleseed Cast would qualify.  I also included Athletics in my list because they were included early on in the thread, and they are one of my favorite bands to come out of this thread.  Now, they incorporate way more vocals than most bands here, and you can even argue that their vocals are a heavy part of the band.  But I think we can agree they have that "post-rock" sound to them.  And you can also argue that their 2nd album is less vocal heavy.  But I agree that we should come up with some sort of standard.  I also want to make sure we include Gifts From Enola.  They weren't as vocal heavy until A Healthy Fear, but they have to be included here.

3 - I agree as well about the "top ten" lists.  I think these lists should include the heavyweights if you feel they are essential.  I personally won't be including Explosions in the Sky in my list (because I have admittedly hardly ever listened to them).  But I'm not naïve.  I know they are arguably the biggest name in the genre.  But how can I include them when I have to make room for Cecilia::Eyes??? :P

4 - You are clearly reading my mind because I was going to mention making tags for each band so people have an idea of what they might be getting into.  That'll be time consuming, but would be important.

5 - The list looks great so far.  Professional as a mo fo.  This thread should be PINNED.

6 - Finally, should we bump the "starred" bands to the very front of the list?  So those bands stand out even more at the top, and then people can go through the rest of the list if they so desire.

Here's a quick draft for you guys.  I think every artist should have a clean "listen" link below their name.  We should have a basic system of which links to provide, such as Bandcamp > Last.fm > Youtube.  I also really like the idea of "tags" (which are the genres and descriptions to the right of the link) to provide a sort of direction.  As long as we don't find ourselves debating about which tags are more accurate, the idea is to have the first tag encompass the primary sound, with the proceeding ones following in importance.  Check Isis for a good example of what I'm referring to.  Again, these is just an idea.  Very open to suggestions.  If we establish a system that works and a color scheme that's appealing, I'd be glad to design some headers to make things look a bit more official and ornate.

65daysofstatic

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ ELECTRONIC

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Caspian ★★★★★

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK

Damascus

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ POST-METAL ▸ EXPERIMENTAL

Isis

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-METAL ▸ SLUDGE ▸ VOCALS

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ EXPERIMENTAL ▸ AMBIENT

Pelican

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ POST-METAL

Sigur Rós

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ AMBIENT ▸ VOCALS

Tycho

▲ LISTEN / ▸ ELECTRONIC ▸ CHILL ▸ AMBIENT

Cough, you meant, ...

Caspian ★★★★★

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK

Also, you are the Formaster (Format Master).

• jhulud locked this topic