Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

I think it's a matter of time.  Gangs will probably get a repress as well.  Topshelf have been killing it (and my wallet) with their recent colored represses out of the blue.  (See: Chelsea Wolfe, Emma Ruth Rundle.)  They're just about done recording LP#4 as well.  Fingers crossed for a U.S. tour to support it.

I talked with Rory in the Fall of last year after a show. I asked him if they'd ever repress the self titled album and he told me they were working on it and they wanted it out in 2014. He told me hold up in the whole process had something to do with their old label.

Bump for small tweaks.  V2:

A N / I N S T R U M E N T A L / G U I D E / + / D I S C U S S I O N

1YE4Y5m.png

( c h e c k / y o u r / l y r i c s / a t / t h e / d o o r )

65daysofstatic
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ ELECTRONIC

Balmorhea
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-FOLK ▸ NEO-CLASSICAL ▸ ACOUSTIC

Caspian
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK

Damascus
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ POST-METAL ▸ EXPERIMENTAL

Isis
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-METAL ▸ SLUDGE ▸ VOCALS

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ EXPERIMENTAL ▸ AMBIENT

Pelican
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ POST-METAL

Sigur Rós
▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ AMBIENT ▸ VOCALS

Tycho
▲ LISTEN / ▸ ELECTRONIC ▸ CHILL ▸ AMBIENT

TOP 10 / LEGENDARY  / HONORABLE MENTION / UP & COMING

Bump for small tweaks. V2:

A N / I N S T R U M E N T A L / G U I D E / + / D I S C U S S I O N

1YE4Y5m.png

( c h e c k / y o u r / l y r i c s / a t / t h e / d o o r )

65daysofstatic

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ ELECTRONIC

Balmorhea

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-FOLK ▸ NEO-CLASSICAL ▸ ACOUSTIC

Caspian

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK

Damascus

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ POST-METAL ▸ EXPERIMENTAL

Isis

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-METAL ▸ SLUDGE ▸ VOCALS

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ EXPERIMENTAL ▸ AMBIENT

Pelican

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ POST-METAL

Sigur Rós

▲ LISTEN / ▸ POST-ROCK ▸ AMBIENT ▸ VOCALS

Tycho

▲ LISTEN / ▸ ELECTRONIC ▸ CHILL ▸ AMBIENT

TOP 10 / LEGENDARY / HONORABLE MENTION / UP & COMING

Quoting this because it belongs on the new page.

Glad you guys are digging it.  Obviously nothing is finalized, but I felt like the official list needed a little oompf for when it goes live.  Still a ways out and a lot of work to do.  Hopefully someone else can help format the list, since it's just a matter of copying and pasting for King.

I said the same thing to myself when I saw that post.

By the way, Derek, what albums did you use for the E and D in the title? I recognized them all except for those.

E is Toe's The Book About My Idle Plot On a Vague Anxiety.  D is Maybeshewill's Not For Want of Trying.

Glad you guys are digging it.  Obviously nothing is finalized, but I felt like the official list needed a little oompf for when it goes live.  Still a ways out and a lot of work to do.  Hopefully someone else can help format the list, since it's just a matter of copying and pasting for King.

E is Toe's The Book About My Idle Plot On a Vague Anxiety.  D is Maybeshewill's Not For Want of Trying.

Great Scot, on that design, Derek!  Put that on a billboard for my daily commute to work :)

Sigur Ros ( ) 8 closes everything...  workouts, sex, shows. it's not called the pop song for nothin'.  

Just ask Phil from Caspian. Even the weather obeys ( ) 8.

Should I officially change the thread name to "The Post-Thread"? Or "The Official Post-Thread" or something along those lines?

Totally up to you.  "Post-Thread" was just the first thing that came to mind in Photoshop, for me.

Also.  As difficult as it is to determine one's top 10 artists - something that I still haven't officially settled on - how would you guys feel about going the extra mile and selecting your top 10 albums?  (Or at least trying to do so.)  I'm just thinking that it could be really cool to have a literal guide of "the classics" in the first post, aside from just a list of artists to explore.  Like, sure; maybe Mogwai is highly regarded by a lot of people in the thread... but their discography is huge.  Where would one begin?  If one of their albums made it into the "top 10", with a brief little synopsis, I think it'd be way more appealing.

And so nothing is set in stone, maybe we could all re-cast our album votes once a year?  Like an annual Post-VC holiday?  Just bouncing ideas around.  What I'd love to see are 10 different albums from 10 different artists on the first post, with a very small blurb written by different VC members.  But maybe that's a pipedream.  And maybe this is a dumb idea.  But I thought it could be fun.

Voting would be simple; everyone would pick their top 10 - in no particular order - and then we'd tally up the totals for each album.  The top 10 scoring albums would make the OP.

Alternatively, if that seems like it'd take way too much time or thought, we could do a top 10 for 2014, and proceeding years.  Same concept as I've illustrated above, but with a scope narrowed down to the year we're in (instead of encompassing all time).  We could hold voting in the last week of December, and post the results on January 1st or something.  I don't know.  Just ideas to spice up the thread and expand the content.

And actually... if it'd help to take some of the work load / formatting off of King's shoulders, I noticed that I have the third post in the thread.  I could manage album / AOTY voting and formatting in the second post, so King would only have to keep up with "the list" on the first post.  All we'd have to do is merge Charlie's handful of recommendations - on post #2 - into the OP.  That is, unless Charlie wants to carry some of the weight and manage the post.  However it ends up, I'd just love to see the first few posts of this thread act as an index or source of music / recommendations / whatever.  Easily accessible and locked in the same spot, on the top of the first page.

I've got a couple of recommendations for instrumental bands.

I Smell Blood from London\, Ontario are a pretty amazing two piece instrumental/noise rock band. Just bass and drums pretty incredible live act. http://ismellblood.bandcamp.com/album/manface-3

Also here's a two piece from Guelph, Ontario called Badminton Racquet. Guitar (and a shit load of pedals) and drums. http://badraq.bandcamp.com/releases

To add another idea onto the ever-growing heap we're accumulating, Derek, to add on to your thoughts, what if we had a weekly recommendation in the OP? Like every week users can submit their weekly recommendation via PM to either you or the King and you could post them in their own category. Seems like it could be a really cool way to organize recommendations, especially if you really identify with another user's taste, so you could just start bouncing new/unique post- albums off of one another and just keep rolling from there.

(Also, the "Leave Your Lyrics At the Door" had me in hysterics. Genius.)

I'm just thinking that it could be really cool to have a literal guide of "the classics" in the first post, aside from just a list of artists to explore.  Like, sure; maybe Mogwai is highly regarded by a lot of people in the thread... but their discography is huge.  Where would one begin?  If one of their albums made it into the "top 10", with a brief little synopsis, I think it'd be way more appealing.

And this is one of the best ideas I've heard yet. I just had a mental image of a really cool interactive "guidebook" for a foray into the post-rock world. Or maybe I've just lost it.

On paper that's a splendid idea, but I just fear that I won't have the time to update it weekly. Maybe a handful of monthly picks? That seems far more feasible to me.

At the rate I get to things, one monthly pick would be enough for me.  Some sort of 'featured' album would be cool, even if it's not on a weekly basis.

• jhulud locked this topic