Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Yeah, I'll give you that.  I'm super loopy, and need to go to bed, otherwise I might start actually eating the toothpaste because I don't have any food and I'm hungry.  

Seriously though, man...  that new Shy, Low tune is going to lay waste to you all when it finally surfaces.  That was seriously one of the coolest pieces of intense music I've ever witnessed.  It was SO creative too.  

I don't think SHY,LOW will ever write a better song than NOSTOS! :P That middle section is insane...love the album!

On another note: in case anybody was looking for records of German post-rockers LONG DISTANCE CALLING (esp. long sold out AVOID THE LIGHT): http://longdistancecalling.bigcartel.com/category/vinyl

6 hours ago, Sasan said:

I don't think SHY,LOW will ever write a better song than NOSTOS! :P That middle section is insane...love the album!

On another note: in case anybody was looking for records of German post-rockers LONG DISTANCE CALLING (esp. long sold out AVOID THE LIGHT): http://longdistancecalling.bigcartel.com/category/vinyl

I feel you on the middle section of Nostos, that was one of the things I was most looking-forward to catching.  That bassline under the pretty delay guitars is amazing.  But this song man...  you'll see.  The looping section riff that I was talking about is actually somewhat very similar to the last riff from "Six Days At The Bottom of the Ocean" by EITS, that riff that has the rhythmic beat of  1... 1, 2, 3....  1... 1, 2, 3....   1... 1, 2, 3....   but Zack was layering counter rhythms and harmonizing his lines and playing against it.  And this is happening at a brisk, up-beat speed, so it was this big, roiling sound.  

5 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Gumbo, be jealous I just have to walk down the street to see them. 

They're playing this Sunday in RVA, so how about you promise to video tape the set (or at least the final song) and I buy your ticket?  

Edited by Gumbo72203

YAS!  My copy of "Give Me Beauty, Or Give Me Death" just came today!!!!  Pretty cool splatter, and it sounds fucking fantastic.  But holy warped-record batman!!!!  My LP1 is making my stylus look like a roller coaster.  Dudes only used an empty LP cover as packaging material inside the mailer.  Thankfully it seems to be playing fine, but good lord.  I hope you guys don't have this happen to yours!

They used anti-static poly-lined paper sleeves for the inners though, which is awesome.  Probably why this record sounds perfect right out of the sleeve, and looks super clean.  No surface noise at all.  

Edit:  My god, this thing sounds incredible.  They did a brilliant job with this pressing.  

Edited by Gumbo72203

28 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I feel you on the middle section of Nostos, that was one of the things I was most looking-forward to catching.  That bassline under the pretty delay guitars is amazing.  But this song man...  you'll see.  The looping section riff that I was talking about is actually somewhat very similar to the last riff from "Six Days At The Bottom of the Ocean" by EITS, that riff that has the rhythmic beat of  1... 1, 2, 3....  1... 1, 2, 3....   1... 1, 2, 3....   but Zack was layering counter rhythms and harmonizing his lines and playing against it.  And this is happening at a brisk, up-beat speed, so it was this big, roiling sound.  

Looking forward to it...any new Shy,Low is good Shy,Low!

6 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Edit:  My god, this thing sounds incredible.  They did a brilliant job with this pressing.  

It's Kapitän Platte, man! All their records sound badass (at least the ~15 I own...)

15 minutes ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

holy warped-record batman.

edit:

Almost forgot. Matt, your copy arrived today! Unfortunately, no holy warpage for you :((

Really?  Both of mine are very noticeably bent.  Thankfully, the only result of this warping is that the surface noise is increased a little bit when my stylus comes down the trough of the warp; you can hear this like, whooshing increase in the noise floor; it kind of swells up.  Hard to explain.  oO....  and there's scratches in the middle of "Final Touch/Hidden Agenda".  It's very light...  I thought it was a hi-hat hit at first, because its during the quiet middle section.  Just finished that side, and yeah... 2 small scratches and these like, they look like air bubbles in the splatter?  Does this ever happen?  When I hold it under the light you can see an actual little bubble-like formation.  I'll try to get a picture, it's super weird.  There's 2 of them.    

Still, this thing sounds absolutely incredible man.  The only thing that I'm not so hot on is that when the drummer is playing softer ghost-note patterns on the snare drum, the snare sounds a little distorted; kind of fuzzy.  But that's probably an artifact from the recording process and the way the drum was mic'ed up.  The end build-up of "Tomorrow My Friend..." is a perfect example.  Just a little fuzzy with those snare rolls.  

Hearing this record this way brings these songs into a whole new light for me.  I think my favorite track is "Hello Scotland".  I'm also loving the xylophone/bells on "He came, He Stayed, He Fell".  They really pop on this, and sounds like you're right there in the studio with the band.  

30 minutes ago, Sasan said:

Looking forward to it...any new Shy,Low is good Shy,Low!

It's Kapitän Platte, man! All their records sound badass (at least the ~15 I own...)

Here's the video I got.  Youtube is still processing the edit to flip the orientation, so I'm not sure how it will show up just yet for you guys.  The sound came out pretty good; I'm bummed that I didn't have enough space left on my phone to get more of the song, because they did a very pretty, ambient interlude section ala Nostos right after all these heavy riffs.  This is the song that will be featured on their up-coming split with The Foxery sometime towards the end of the year.  

10 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

The looping section riff that I was talking about is actually somewhat very similar to the last riff from "Six Days At The Bottom of the Ocean" by EITS, that riff that has the rhythmic beat of  1... 1, 2, 3....  1... 1, 2, 3....   1... 1, 2, 3....   but Zack was layering counter rhythms and harmonizing his lines and playing against it.  And this is happening at a brisk, up-beat speed, so it was this big, roiling sound.  

Did Gumbo just write a pitchfork review?

13 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

@Gumbo72203 you can buy my ticket but I think people who film shows / watch a show through their phone instead of just watching are assholes. 

You are absolutely correct, but in this instance there is a specific task being accomplished.  You don't need to do the whole show, just the 4th song.  They play it after Saudade.  Doing the 2nd song, after Nostos, would be cool too because I didn't have enough space to get to the clean middle section of that tune, but that song is going to be released at some point any way, so it's not quite as pressing of a matter.  The other song they don't have any plans on doing anything with yet.  

14 hours ago, The Butcha said:

Did Gumbo just write a pitchfork review?

Haha I was thinking the exact thing as I wrote it.  "Of course, it has to be an EITS song that it's got a part in common with..."  

On 5/31/2016 at 4:47 AM, Sasan said:

I love Avoid the Light, but ever since they tried to go mainstream while *publicly* dissing all Prog and Post musical affiliations/associations (and then taking down the diatribe after  epic failing), they lost my respect. Then they did a fundraiser for an instrumental project, which I listend to, and for me, was meh at best. Their new one blows. Not even grower potential for me. If others like it, esp you Sasan, not meaning to be harsh in a subjective hobby, I should just say they keep moving farther and farther from my eardrums.

4 hours ago, drds89 said:

My Ef album is flawless. Been on a pretty good streak lately. I have had some bad luck with jackets along the way, esp Europe issues, but with the vinyl itself, I have been uber fortunate.

Gumbo definitely has the black cloud if there ever was one.

Can't wait to get mine in. 

5 hours ago, drds89 said:

I love Avoid the Light, but ever since they tried to go mainstream while *publicly* dissing all Prog and Post musical affiliations/associations (and then taking down the diatribe after  epic failing), they lost my respect. Then they did a fundraiser for an instrumental project, which I listend to, and for me, was meh at best. Their new one blows. Not even grower potential for me. If others like it, esp you Sasan, not meaning to be harsh in a subjective hobby, I should just say they keep moving farther and farther from my eardrums.

Totally agree, Don. I love their older material (Satellite Bay, Avoid the Light...even s/t), but they completely lost me with their mainstream attempt + when they got a singer!

What's the background story to your first sentence? Totally missed it...

Haven't heard Nighthawk or Trips (yet?)...maybe I never will....are they really that bad? :D

Still happy to finally add AVOID THE LIGHT to my collection :)

9 hours ago, drds89 said:

My Ef album is flawless. Been on a pretty good streak lately. I have had some bad luck with jackets along the way, esp Europe issues, but with the vinyl itself, I have been uber fortunate.

Gumbo definitely has the black cloud if there ever was one.

My jacket is perfect, because they shipped the album outside of it.  But those records are warped, with the scratch on Side C.  Oh well.  If it was a bigger scratch I would be upset, but I think I can live with this one.  

Also, still waiting for my PG.Lost records.......  everybody else seems to have gotten theirs already :\

8 hours ago, Sasan said:

Totally agree, Don. I love their older material (Satellite Bay, Avoid the Light...even s/t), but they completely lost me with their mainstream attempt + when they got a singer!

What's the background story to your first sentence? Totally missed it...

Haven't heard Nighthawk or Trips (yet?)...maybe I never will....are they really that bad? :D

Still happy to finally add AVOID THE LIGHT to my collection :)

I wish I had screenshot their website page when they put that load of garbage up there; it stayed up for a year or so until they flopped.

The new one - yep vocals but not on all - in the universe of music, it probably isn't that bad haha, but for what they are capable of doing, I couldn't get through all of it. They have been really hyping it on Twitter, "so excite" and glowing reviews from obscure sources. The trainwreck finally completed, so I unfollowed them.

1 hour ago, omik11303 said:

New Lost in Kiev. Check it out.

The first track they released I was hoping would eclipse the angst I was developing from the ITTCT track released about the same time, but It didn't smack me either way.

Barracuda is blocking, so I will have to wait to wait until tonight to check it out. Can't believe copies of Motions is still easy to find out there. I really like that album. Thanks for the link, Owen!

• jhulud locked this topic