Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I have this on my Wantlist but I never got a notification.....  same thing happened with some other dude who bought the Conspiracy press of "Solace" some weeks ago.  Do you guys know if there is like, a time-function with when those things go out?  Or if someone buys it instantly, will it not notify people?  Because other times things will show up in my mailbox as "new items for sale in your wantlist" but then when I go to click the link for it, the item is no longer available. 

It's possible these were taken down pretty quickly before you got an email. But I'm not sure. I got an email saying they were for sale and I emailed the guy directly probably 20 seconds after they went up and then they were taken down. 

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I have this on my Wantlist but I never got a notification.....  same thing happened with some other dude who bought the Conspiracy press of "Solace" some weeks ago.  Do you guys know if there is like, a time-function with when those things go out?  Or if someone buys it instantly, will it not notify people?  Because other times things will show up in my mailbox as "new items for sale in your wantlist" but then when I go to click the link for it, the item is no longer available. 

There definitely is a glitch in the discogs notification system - probably for about 3 months now. I will get notified on some things, and others, nothing. I revamp my Wantlist periodically, and there is a relatively new function that shows you copies for sale on the Wantlist page. I have bought two things in the past week that I never got emailed for, but there they were. So now I try to check the Want  list once a day - manually. The people who have notifications set to immediate alert are going to have first crack everytime, and my life just doesn't lend to being tied to the smartphone.  , as things would literally be gone in less than 2 minutes. Kind of like ToT Vertigo / Splatter.

Who knows maybe no one gets notified on some things, so check your list every day. I'm down to less than 15 wants, not watching to see what interesting albums go for anymore, so when I do get an email, no false alarms.

Yeah its just weird, because some things like this, which are in my Wantlist, I don't get notifications for.  But other things, I'll get the message.... and the item will then be already gone when I click on the link.

In other news, I have a very funny story for you all.  Especially Matt.  This is totally true.  So, I went to see Phish twice at Saratoga Performing Arts Center, a huge awesome amphitheater in Saratoga that is inside a massive awesome park.  It's so cool.  Anyway, on Saturday I wore my Caspian shirt.  I always wear oddball shirts to events to A) be non-conformist, and 2) to see who else is into this stuff.  Like, I wore a Morbid Angel shirt when I went and saw Dead & Company a couple weeks ago.  Anyway, so my friends and I are walking around the lot where people are selling their wares and food-stuffs, and some dude comes up to me and is like "DUDE, CASPIAN!"  We get talking, and he's like "I've seen Caspian 35 times, it's the only band I've seen more than Phish."  Turns out, this dude is friends with Erin, who got married this weekend.  They grew up together or something.

We start talking, and I tell him that I like Caspian because to me, they do in songwriting form what Phish does with their jams.  And it turns out that Cal annddddd fuck, I can't remember which other member he mentioned, are big Phish fans.  And that some of the music that Cal wrote, like "Some Are White Light" are meant to represent what they feel during big peak climaxes of Phish jams.  They're supposed to have the same grand, sweeping movement and development and ecstatic release feeling.  I know this dude wasn't fucking around, because he said "Cal, you know... the dude who doesn't tour with them anymore."

So.....  Caspian.... jamband....  it's not a stretch.  Kinda hilarious.  

3 hours ago, The Butcha said:

Matt still wont like Phish, Gumby.

There is a reason why Cal doesn't tour anymore, and it's because the band found out he likes Phish...

Anyway, this is all hearsay until I hear it from a direct source. After all, this is coming from the jam fan that tries to get us to group buy records in EU for $40 when they are already in the states, uses analogies about drug dealers to describe an album, wants Caspian to play for an entire day straight, and has used the exclamation point so often that it has lost all meaning. Something smells phishy to me. "Phish is a band... Caspian is a band... they're pretty much the same."

I'm still over here laughing about the non-conformist t-shirt statement.

In all seriousness, if Caspian worshiped Phish, it wouldn't change my opinion on them or Phish. I couldn't care either way. At the end of the day I'm listening to Caspian, and not jam music. Haha.

Edited by Dave Grohl

4 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

There is a reason why Cal doesn't tour anymore, and it's because the band found out he likes Phish...

Anyway, this is all hearsay until I hear it from a direct source. After all, this is coming from the jam fan that tries to get us to group buy records in EU for $40 when they are already in the states, uses analogies about drug dealers to describe an album, wants Caspian to play for an entire day straight, and has used the exclamation point so often that it has lost all meaning. Something smells phishy to me. "Phish is a band... Caspian is a band... they're pretty much the same."

I'm still over here laughing about the non-conformist t-shirt statement.

In all seriousness, if Caspian worshiped Phish, it wouldn't change my opinion on them or Phish. I couldn't care either way. At the end of the day I'm listening to Caspian, and not jam music. Haha.

You're saying you DON'T want Caspian to play for a day straight?!

Haha, but I'll ask my friend what this dude's name is.... because it turned out that he camped right next to us at Magnaball, Phish's festival they did last summer at Watkins Glen.  That's how my buddy Eddie recognized him and pulled him into conversation.  Then he see's my Caspian shirt and it went from there.  I mean, if you can corroborate with Phil that Erin got married this weekend, it would pretty much lock it in wouldn't it?  But now that we're talking about it, I'm pretttttttty sure I've already read an interview where Cal mentions that he used to see Phish a ton when he was younger.  I could be wrong about that, though.  There's definitely one other dude in the band, maybe it was the drummer too.  I can't recall who this dude mentioned, because the interview I'm thinking of also mentioned it I believe.  

I just thought it was totally hilarious, the connection.  I do think there are quite a few Phish pieces you'd enjoy.  Especially their drive-in set from Magnaball, where they played an hour-long jam set along with visuals projected on this big screen that they were playing behind.  It moves through so many different themes and places and styles.  

and in other news, props to whoever snagged that rainbow splatter Wake/Lift on Discogs for $60.  I'm kicking myself for not doing that.  

On 7/5/2016 at 9:52 AM, omik11303 said:

I have no idea why they ruined their sound with that addition. Go back and check out Real Life Awaits Us. I think you'll like it way more.

Okay so I listened again; you guys are a bit over-dramatic here :P    It's a curious addition, no doubt.  I didn't hate it though.  It almost sounds like a synth line.  But I also love Dead Can Dance, so I frame it as a merging of that sound with post-rock, and thus it is enjoyable for me.  Dead Can Dance has some stuff that is absolutely epic (and also some stuff that bores me).  

Either way, I think the music is fantastic and very well-written....  i love how they added the pipes over that one rumbling tom-tom drum beat section.  Very cool.  

16 hours ago, drds89 said:

What was this place like before Sr. Gumbo? I can't remember ...

A whole lot less entertaining, I'm certain :) 

3 hours ago, Sasan said:

Lost in Kiev's Nuit Noire is now available at dunk!shop...2xLP Clear w/ Black Splatter & w/ White Splatter, limited to 250 pcs.

Motions is great, I still listen fairly often. And still available. I'm going to need to listen to the whole thing before laying out 28 euro + shipping just to have a Matt-Kokomo experience.  Occasionally, instead of quoting Sponge Bob or some other thing on TV, the kids will say "Does it get an easier?" usually referring to someone complaining about doing chores around the house... and everyone stops and says in a mechanical voice. "No."  (from "I'm Stuck" on Motions, they keep repeating that line).

Is it 250 for each variant or 250 total?  It says 250 "ex" - vs. ea (each). Anyone, anyone?

6 hours ago, drds89 said:

Motions is great, I still listen fairly often. And still available. I'm going to need to listen to the whole thing before laying out 28 euro + shipping just to have a Matt-Kokomo experience.  Occasionally, instead of quoting Sponge Bob or some other thing on TV, the kids will say "Does it get an easier?" usually referring to someone complaining about doing chores around the house... and everyone stops and says in a mechanical voice. "No."  (from "I'm Stuck" on Motions, they keep repeating that line).

Is it 250 for each variant or 250 total?  It says 250 "ex" - vs. ea (each). Anyone, anyone?

Yeah, I'm going to have to start holding off on pre orders from EU until I get a good idea of the album, or maybe even hear the whole thing. It's just rough paying $30 + shipping for an album, and then not end up liking it. I mean, sure, I could resell it, but ... I'm still ultimately let down by it not being the album I wanted more than maybe taking a bit of a loss selling it. I still haven't ordered new Pg.lost yet...

15 hours ago, drds89 said:

Doesn't really say anything about variants...I'd say it's only this one variant with white splatter on A/B and black splatter on C/D...I interpret "ex" as "exemplar"...?!

Wow, ITTCT were really, really good last night.  It was apparently their first show in a year and a half, and they were crazy tight!  I believe I got the setlist correct in my phone if anyone cares about that, but it was about half and half songs from Red Forest and Bones of a Dying World, as well as the title track ATE/BTS.

On a vinyl note - they had the US press of 'Bones...' as well as some leftover Self Titled / ATEBTS 2LPs in clear/black splatter and black blob.

Great show.

10 minutes ago, coreystevens88 said:

Wow, ITTCT were really, really good last night.  It was apparently their first show in a year and a half, and they were crazy tight!  I believe I got the setlist correct in my phone if anyone cares about that, but it was about half and half songs from Red Forest and Bones of a Dying World, as well as the title track ATE/BTS.

On a vinyl note - they had the US press of 'Bones...' as well as some leftover Self Titled / ATEBTS 2LPs in clear/black splatter and black blob.

Great show.

No tour variant/release show variant? They usually do one. I'll see if maybe it's a hometown exclusive tonight :P. Anyone else going to be at tonight's show?

10 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

No tour variant/release show variant? They usually do one. I'll see if maybe it's a hometown exclusive tonight :P. Anyone else going to be at tonight's show?

Nope, just the two last night.  I was hoping they might have been successful on importing some of the EU colors and I'd be able to complete that set.  I guess it looks like Metal Blade will disappoint those hoping for a tour variant.

I was there last night as well & agree they sounded great!  They also played "What's in the Ground..." from AtE.  Was hoping for the entire new album to be played like they did with Red Forest, but hard to complain about the set...

solstice

whats in the ground 
red forest
above the earth
below the sky
iron glacier
first fire
barren lands
knives
berlin
earth crawler

• jhulud locked this topic