Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

25 minutes ago, afterosmosis said:

Random question: anyone know where I could track down some The Calm Blue Sea vinyl?  I've had mixed luck on Discogs so I'm looking for possible alternatives.

How hard is it to google things?

https://www.amazon.com/Calm-Blue-Sea-LP/dp/B0055IU3XQ/ref=tmm_vnl_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Amazon $16.24 prime, various used options as well.

5 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

How hard is it to google things?

https://www.amazon.com/Calm-Blue-Sea-LP/dp/B0055IU3XQ/ref=tmm_vnl_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Amazon $16.24 prime, various used options as well.

I saw that, but I've received warped records from Amazon and would like to avoid them as well.

1 minute ago, afterosmosis said:

I saw that, but I've received warped records from Amazon and would like to avoid them as well.

Welp, you're shit outta luck if you're going to be so picky. Why don't you order it, and if it's warped then return it? Not that hard. I've never gotten a warped or damaged record from Amazon and I order from them all the time.

1 minute ago, Dave Grohl said:

Welp, you're shit outta luck if you're going to be so picky. Why don't you order it, and if it's warped then return it? Not that hard. I've never gotten a warped or damaged record from Amazon and I order from them all the time.

Thanks for the delightful interaction.

5 minutes ago, afterosmosis said:

Thanks for the delightful interaction.

Well, if you're going to be whiny...

http://modernoutsider.bigcartel.com/product/the-calm-blue-sea-the-calm-blue-sea-gatefold-vinyl-pre-order

Is it that hard to Google something? Honestly.

Edited by Dave Grohl

32 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Well, if you're going to be whiny...

http://modernoutsider.bigcartel.com/product/the-calm-blue-sea-the-calm-blue-sea-gatefold-vinyl-pre-order

Is it that hard to Google something? Honestly.

I did plenty of Googling, even tried to find it through their old label.  I just assumed this group of fans might know some other deeper resources outside of the obvious.  Sorry to disturb the peace.

1 minute ago, afterosmosis said:

I did plenty of Googling, even tried to find it through their old label.  I just assumed this group of fans might know some other deeper resources outside of the obvious.  Sorry to disturb the peace.

Plenty of Googling? It's the sixth link when you search 'the calm blue sea vinyl' on Google.

10 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

The one Seven Mile Journey song I did check out was pretty good... nothing great.  Their demo is still my favorite material of theirs.  However, the new Meniscus track is fucking AWESOME.  The bassline in the beginning is absolutely wonderful.  So simple, but the note choices are perfect.  

I really hope you guys don't skip on that Dilute song, though.  If you like "old" post-rock like Slint and early Mogwai and Tarentel, I think this is right up your alley.  It's so fascinating, because it's got the relaxed, chill atmosphere but it's full of prog-rock qualities like odd meters and shifting accents and just general weird stuff that combines into this sublime whole.

Don't fucking skip it!

TMSJ is just what their name says, I don't know why the bother to name or designate individual tracks - their whole catalogue to me is like one major opus with each album as a separate movement. I usually pick nights when I can listen to them 3 hrs straight (and more now).

That Dilute song, you didn't warn us about the vocals! haha. They are going to take some time; nice music though

Just recently I got my first chance at seeing I Like Trains live after a 5 year absence from playing London. It was an absolutely fantastic show and I've been listening to their stuff on and off for weeks since. It's Post-rock mixed with alternative rock but as I've said before I'm terrible with genre tags but I figured some of you guys and girls might like it. The band vary a lot from album to album and they also do instrumental work if the vocals aren't your thing.

Their first album is kind of a concept album that covers loads of historic events in England like the plague, great fire of London & the assassination of Spencer Perceval and there's even a DVD version of the album where the stories are told through stop motion animation.

The bands second album is less of a structured concept album but is an absolutely stellar listen from start to finish. After the show I went online and saw that they still have vinyl copies readily available and are currently selling them for only £6 with an instant download. (No idea what the shipping is to non UK territories but if you dig this next video I'd say it's definitely worth a punt).

You can find this album and a few other bits of wax (including the instrumental Christmas Tree Ship EP) going for quite cheap here:

http://ilikerecords.limitedrun.com/

I didn't grab these on vinyl when they came out originally so put through an order a few days back and can possibly disseminate downloads if these records come with them when they arrive to any interested parties. The band are currently wrapping up work on their fourth full length album and they'll also be releasing limited edition cds through bandcamp for the score to the movie A Divorce Before Marriage (A band documentary that they funded through kickstarter) in November through bandcamp.

Anyways hope some of you like this, if not feel free to banish back to the main board where Hot Topic Variants and Blink 182 reign supreme.

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

"We All Fall Down" is pretty fucking awesome.  If they played that when you saw them, I bet that was damn incredible.  The slow rise to the climax intensity is very well done.  

Sadly they didn't play that particular tune but they played quite a lot off their first record that has similar builds throughout.

On 9/13/2016 at 11:56 PM, abovetheearth said:

Great Esben and the Witch comparable. i was trying to think of something that reminded me, Don. Especially their Marching On EP which is a must have for anyone.

EATW new one "Older Terrors" is a 4 track simmering cauldron, each one 10 to 13 minutes, and the closer is quite good. Actually made me forget about shoegaze for a couple of hours.

So, I need some advice/guidance.  Do any of you guys have the Envy box set?  I'm looking to pick all these albums up on vinyl, and I can get the black vinyl box for $115 shipped from someone.  Would you guys consider that a good deal?  i'm not so interested in the older stuff, but Dead Sinking Story, Abyssal, and Insomniac Doze are the ones I care most about (as well as Athiest's Cornea but that came later).  

I know the albums were all remastered for the box set...  anybody have any comments on the pressing quality/new mixes vs the old mixes?  The TR guys say they prefer the remastered stuff because it has more dynamic range, at least for Dead Sinking Story.  

I've come to REALLY FUCKING LIKE this band, especially Insomniac Doze and Athiest's Cornea.  All the Footprints is cool too, but I much prefer their late-era stuff with the post-rock influences.  Songs like Crystallize, Further Ahead of Warp, Ticking Time and String.....

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So, I need some advice/guidance.  Do any of you guys have the Envy box set?  I'm looking to pick all these albums up on vinyl, and I can get the black vinyl box for $115 shipped from someone.  Would you guys consider that a good deal?  i'm not so interested in the older stuff, but Dead Sinking Story, Abyssal, and Insomniac Doze are the ones I care most about (as well as Athiest's Cornea but that came later).  

I know the albums were all remastered for the box set...  anybody have any comments on the pressing quality/new mixes vs the old mixes?  The TR guys say they prefer the remastered stuff because it has more dynamic range, at least for Dead Sinking Story.  

I've come to REALLY FUCKING LIKE this band, especially Insomniac Doze and Athiest's Cornea.  All the Footprints is cool too, but I much prefer their late-era stuff with the post-rock influences.  Songs like Crystallize, Further Ahead of Warp, Ticking Time and String.....

Yes get it.

Caspian
The Triple Rock Social Club
Minneapolis, MN
Thursday September 13th 2007

01. intro
02. Moksha
03. Quovis
04. Further Up
05. Further In
06. Crawlspace
07. Brombie
08. Sycamore *

* unreleased & unrecorded... from the future

https://archive.org/details/caspian2007-09-13.sp-c4.flac16

22 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Caspian
The Triple Rock Social Club
Minneapolis, MN
Thursday September 13th 2007

01. intro
02. Moksha
03. Quovis
04. Further Up
05. Further In
06. Crawlspace
07. Brombie
08. Sycamore *

* unreleased & unrecorded... from the future

https://archive.org/details/caspian2007-09-13.sp-c4.flac16

Caspian is on the Archive?!?!?  NICE.  This just inspired me to throw Old South Church on next after I finish spinning the new PG.Lost album. 

12 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

@Gumbo72203

Do it. I paid $200 a couple years back and don't care for anything pre All The Footprints. It's worth it and you're looking at a great price there. But, to echo Matts sentiment, how do you still not have a new table?

Being very sick at the end of the summer, and then starting school and not working as much....   not much in the way of expendable income at the moment.  This was going to be my Christmas wish-list item, to have some money go towards getting a new one.  Thankfully, I've figured out a way to make my own VPI machine using the felt GruvGlide pads and a small vacuum that I have.  It's made a big difference in terms of cleaning my records.  I think the biggest thing is that I need a new amp, honestly.  I think a lot of the noise I'm hearing is from the static from turning the amp up, and not necessarily from the records themselves.  

The only downside is that with the box set, you don't get the album covers on their sleeves.  I kinda want them :\

• jhulud locked this topic