Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Just now, drds89 said:

Looks like you got the same setlist for both bands that we did, including The Raven, and minus Fight Song.

But man, you got Sycamore!! I don't think I could have taken anymore:wub:

I think knowing beforehand that it wasn't happening, and having prepared myself for that, only to have such a dedicated crowd pull them back out on stage made it even sweeter. i thought for sure that there was no way they'd come back out. i figured the chanting would die out and everyone would get the hint after a few minutes with the house lights and music back on. but it just got louder and louder. i've been to a lot of shows and i don't think i've ever seen that happen before. it was just perfect. 

!!!!!!!!!!!!   GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like Envy, YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO THIS RIGHT NOW.  RIGHT NOW.

https://vivabelgrado.bandcamp.com/album/ulises

They're the Spanish version of Envy.  Sure, some of you might scoff at the artistic similarities, but holy christ these guys are amazing.  The songs are shorter, so you'll kind of blow through the album pretty quickly.  But every song just kills.  The production is awesome, and the moods they conjure are just as rich.  This stuff is incredible.  The kind of take all the post-Footprints elements of Envy, and mesh it with the energy of All The Footprints IMO.  This stuff is really fantastic though, please give it a listen. 

Very cheap vinyl also available!

Edited by Gumbo72203

On 10/29/2016 at 11:12 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!   GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like Envy, YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO THIS RIGHT NOW.  RIGHT NOW.

https://vivabelgrado.bandcamp.com/album/ulises

They're the Spanish version of Envy.  Sure, some of you might scoff at the artistic similarities, but holy christ these guys are amazing.  The songs are shorter, so you'll kind of blow through the album pretty quickly.  But every song just kills.  The production is awesome, and the moods they conjure are just as rich.  This stuff is incredible.  The kind of take all the post-Footprints elements of Envy, and mesh it with the energy of All The Footprints IMO.  This stuff is really fantastic though, please give it a listen.

First album blows their new one out of the water in my opinion. That's the one I own on vinyl. I wouldn't go so far as to make an Envy comparison, though. In fact I really don't hear the similarity at all. As probably one of maybe two (or three?) people that frequent this thread that also likes some heavier screamo/melodic hardcore, if I hadn't heard of these guys already I would have appreciated the rec, but a comparison to Envy just feels way off.

10 hours ago, omik11303 said:

First album blows their new one out of the water in my opinion. That's the one I own on vinyl. I wouldn't go so far as to make an Envy comparison, though. In fact I really don't hear the similarity at all. As probably one of maybe two (or three?) people that frequent this thread that also likes some heavier screamo/melodic hardcore, if I hadn't heard of these guys already I would have appreciated the rec, but a comparison to Envy just feels way off.

Really?  They sound just like Envy to me haha.  I really dig Floral, Carnes as well.  Probably going to pick that up, because some guy still has them stateside.  But I like the newer one more, it sounds like late-era Envy to me.  I can't get enough! 

On 10/29/2016 at 9:04 PM, abovetheearth said:

please don't ever disrespect Envy again. 

Envy is awesome, how do you guys not hear the similarity?  haha

4 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Really?  They sound just like Envy to me haha.  I really dig Floral, Carnes as well.  Probably going to pick that up, because some guy still has them stateside.  But I like the newer one more, it sounds like late-era Envy to me.  I can't get enough! 

Envy is awesome, how do you guys not hear the similarity?  haha

Sometimes you're pretty fucking dense. 

15 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Very mathy post-metal. Some piano bits mixed in. Should find some welcome ears: https://jardindelacroix.bandcamp.com/album/circadia

Enjoying this, thanks for the suggestion.  They definitely dip into those mathy vibes – and even a smidgen of djent, I think? – but their incorporation of piano reminds me of Maybeshewill when they were still good.

New I Built The Sky came out last week.

ibuiltthesky.bandcamp.com

Australian solo artist àla Cloudkicker who copies his sound a bit but with way more mathy/prog/djent riffs that are Animals As Leaders-esque.  Pretty standard fare if you're familiar with this artist but if you dig his sound then this is his best work yet.  "Humilis" & "Aviaticus" are serious bangers!

Edited by mrewest

On 10/10/2016 at 4:10 PM, drds89 said:

A Thousand Arms is now carrying some Dunk! music and merch including Lost In Kiev's 2xLP: Nuit Noire. $30 + $4 shipping.

Dunk! stuff here in the US -- A Thousand Arms

Thanks guys for sharing all of this and for partaking in the small amounts of vinyl we have been getting in from dunk!  Glad to hear that the "minor packaging damage" wasn't too horrible for anyone.  We should be getting in some more releases in the coming weeks (new The Seven Mile Journey, Flash The Readies, and a special live recording on vinyl from one of the bands on dunk!16 that I'm really excited about).  I've heard rumors that there has been a lot of teamwork through this site in getting bulk orders from Belgium for new releases and I'm hoping that we can help make that all easier for everyone.  Please feel free to email me at anytime about any of the releases currently in the dunk!store and maybe we can work something out to help save everyone a little bit of money in getting those formats over here to the states.

As a side note, I haven't participated in a forum for years.  So forgive my obvious newbie actions as I figure this all out.

C.J.

A Thousand Arms

[email protected]

16 hours ago, athousandarms said:

Thanks guys for sharing all of this and for partaking in the small amounts of vinyl we have been getting in from dunk!  Glad to hear that the "minor packaging damage" wasn't too horrible for anyone.  We should be getting in some more releases in the coming weeks (new The Seven Mile Journey, Flash The Readies, and a special live recording on vinyl from one of the bands on dunk!16 that I'm really excited about).  I've heard rumors that there has been a lot of teamwork through this site in getting bulk orders from Belgium for new releases and I'm hoping that we can help make that all easier for everyone.  Please feel free to email me at anytime about any of the releases currently in the dunk!store and maybe we can work something out to help save everyone a little bit of money in getting those formats over here to the states.

As a side note, I haven't participated in a forum for years.  So forgive my obvious newbie actions as I figure this all out.

C.J.

A Thousand Arms

[email protected]

Welcome and please check in. We're pretty easy on noobs (except one ;) ) and very avid bunch of Dunk! and kindred label fans

2 hours ago, drds89 said:

Welcome and please check in. We're pretty easy on noobs (except one ;) ) and very avid bunch of Dunk! and kindred label fans

I'll never conform!  Caspian is a jam-band, and hosts high school proms!

18 hours ago, athousandarms said:

C.J.

A Thousand Arms

[email protected]

Glad you made it over man!

I was just spinning my copy of the Ranges 7" this morning, such good songs.  Although I realllllllllly wish the ending section on Kingdom was let to go for another 30 seconds or more before the fadeout.  I love that riff; it could go on for 7 more minutes and I'd be happy haha.  The songs are fantastic, for such a cheap price it's a great piece to have. 

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I'll never conform!  Caspian is a jam-band, and hosts high school proms!

I was just spinning my copy of the Ranges 7" this morning, such good songs.  Although I realllllllllly wish the ending section on Kingdom was let to go for another 30 seconds or more before the fadeout.  I love that riff; it could go on for 7 more minutes and I'd be happy haha.  The songs are fantastic, for such a cheap price it's a great piece to have. 

There really is no pleasing you. Any riff could go for 7 minutes. Doesn't mean it should. When it shouldn't but does, that's called Phish. Call Caspian a jam band again, and I'll jump you. 

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

He's not calling Caspian a jam band... he's saying they could benefit from becoming one.  Phil and co. need to knock off whatever songwriting they think they know and just take notes from Gumbo.  He's got a few post-rock epics under his belt.

Which is worse? Haha. And you're probably right. Time for a hiatus while they consult Gumbo.

17 minutes ago, Sasan said:

Caspian is post-rock phish...

Bring back down-voting.

22 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Thanks man!  I think we all wish we could have gone further with both Crown and Kingdom on the Ranges 7".  Had to keep it around 4:30 to make it fit at 45 RPM though.  It was a weird restriction to work with when we were writing.  New stuff will have more room to breathe!  

• jhulud locked this topic