Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

On 11/3/2016 at 2:55 PM, Derek™ said:

He's got a few post-rock epics under his belt.

Death metal, yes.  Post-rock, not yet! 

.....have we ever even talked about my band?  I don't know if you guys would like it, unless you dig Morbid Angel, Necrophobic or Immortal.  Or Slayer.  Bunch of stuff up on Youtube.  I'll let you find it. 

On 11/3/2016 at 7:04 PM, Sasan said:

Would buy any record released by Gumbian!

We only sell secondary market variants, which you can pre-order, pre-flipped for $43.94!

On 11/4/2016 at 6:35 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Death metal, yes.  Post-rock, not yet! 

.....have we ever even talked about my band?  I don't know if you guys would like it, unless you dig Morbid Angel, Necrophobic or Immortal.  Or Slayer.  Bunch of stuff up on Youtube.  I'll let you find it.

How have you not made a thread for your band yet?

2 hours ago, The Butcha said:

How have you not made a thread for your band yet?

.......i don't know.  I can't believe we haven't talked about this.  It's my freaking avatar here for fuck's sake haha, that picture is from a gig.  To be 18 and playing death metal again.... haha. 

And for the relevant post here:   You guys, Compass & Knife.  They feel so good.  It's like a tingly splash of warm joy hitting my whole face listening now.  The reverb... the delays...  it's just perfect, for me anyway!  Give it a try.  The first track has this super sick delay-guitar part where the delays are panned alternatingly and it just warps your head, it's so great.  And the 2nd track listed has this terrific female vocals in this one spot that are just really satisfactory.  All the tracks really deliver, but these 2 stand out especially.  The last track on the album is no slouch either. 

https://compassandknife.bandcamp.com/track/step-through-the-copper-door

https://compassandknife.bandcamp.com/track/our-home-is-nothing-but-a-memory

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

.......i don't know.  I can't believe we haven't talked about this.  It's my freaking avatar here for fuck's sake haha, that picture is from a gig.  To be 18 and playing death metal again.... haha. 

And for the relevant post here:   You guys, Compass & Knife.  They feel so good.  It's like a tingly splash of warm joy hitting my whole face listening now.  The reverb... the delays...  it's just perfect, for me anyway!  Give it a try.  The first track has this super sick delay-guitar part where the delays are panned alternatingly and it just warps your head, it's so great.  And the 2nd track listed has this terrific female vocals in this one spot that are just really satisfactory.  All the tracks really deliver, but these 2 stand out especially.  The last track on the album is no slouch either. 

https://compassandknife.bandcamp.com/track/step-through-the-copper-door

https://compassandknife.bandcamp.com/track/our-home-is-nothing-but-a-memory

I posted them a long time ago. 

On 12/30/2015 at 11:18 AM, omik11303 said:

I might have to make a late addition to my best of 2015 list...

25jkzee.jpg

Compass & Knife - The Setting of the Old Sun

FFO: Giants, sleepmakeswaves, Seas of Years

There will be many people in this thread that love this. Give it a listen if you haven't heard it already.

Pay attention, Gumbo.

(Matt posts a lot of great stuff, but I think I beat him out on this one actually) :P

Edited by omik11303

23 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

I posted them a long time ago. 

Oh I know, I'm just saying... they're fucking amazing.  We should discuss them more! 

10 hours ago, drds89 said:

I bought the last Meniscus triple CD autograph bundle :P

The new album is fucking incredible, and their old stuff is great too.  It's cheaper to buy the autographed new album plus the regular versions of the other 2.  I might do that when I get paid this Friday.... thanks for the reminder.  I love all of their stuff. 

11 hours ago, mrewest said:

Soooo you guys are just gonna let him off the hook for this one?

That was some seriously low-hanging fruit.  Not even a nibble, haha.  Pretty accurate though...  I was in the right headspace for music to make my face feel tingly :P

14 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

The new album is fucking incredible, and their old stuff is great too.  It's cheaper to buy the autographed new album plus the regular versions of the other 2.  I might do that when I get paid this Friday.... thanks for the reminder.  I love all of their stuff. 

But you don't get the first two autographed!!!!!

Biggest regret of my life was not springing for the War Of Currents Clock they were selling for $30 back in 2011-12?  I want that clock, it was so cool!!!

19 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

you are the worlds greatest riddle Gumby. 

That means I'm doing my job well.  :D   Confounding the internet since 1999!

17 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

I. . . . 

I have no words. 

It's okay, post-rock threads are all instrumental. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

Caspian and Appleseed Cast Round 2 was awesome. Higher energy (didn't think that was possible) and the sound was a lot better. No 'Sycamore' but I did finally get 'Fight Song' (by audience vote) and also got 'Ghosts of the Garden City' (I got 'The Raven' last time). Glad I was able to see them while I'm up in Chicago. Took a coworker who's fairly new to the genre and he was pretty blown away. Good times. 

8 hours ago, batman said:

Caspian and Appleseed Cast Round 2 was awesome. Higher energy (didn't think that was possible) and the sound was a lot better. No 'Sycamore' but I did finally get 'Fight Song' (by audience vote) and also got 'Ghosts of the Garden City' (I got 'The Raven' last time). Glad I was able to see them while I'm up in Chicago. Took a coworker who's fairly new to the genre and he was pretty blown away. Good times. 

What were Appleseed playing? collection of their stuff? any new songs?

Going on Wednesday, can't wait for both bands!

50 minutes ago, SunsetDramaKing17 said:

What were Appleseed playing? collection of their stuff? any new songs?

Going on Wednesday, can't wait for both bands!

Pretty good mix of stuff! I posted the set list from the Houston show a few pages back--I'm on my phone at work or I'd pull it for ya. Also several lists on setlist.fm

6 hours ago, ExtraFox said:

The German band Frames. They've only been mentioned once here (by Gumbo in passing), but Youtube played me Don't Stay Here from In Via after a sleepmakeswaves track had finished, and I was mightily impressed.

I was so super into this band for a good bit, and bought the LP+CD package, but I never listen to it anymore.  Maybe I should change that.  Really diverse stuff they do. 

You guys ever listen to Archivist?  They're kinda sorta like Show Me A Dinosaur mixed with like, Rosetta maybe?  All the tracks are good, I listened to the whole thing the other day, but I think track 6 is my big standout.  Track 2 has a great ending, as well.  Some dude from Fall of Efrafa is in this I believe. 

https://archivistmusic.bandcamp.com/album/archivist

Edited by Gumbo72203

21 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

New Set and Setting is up at Science of Silence. They have an /100 yellow. Don't know how to do all the cut and paste stuff on my phone, so I'll leave it to someone else to make a thread.

I really like the track they have up. I'm the exception in liking A Vivid Memory > Equanimity (which is still killer; I think the timing it hit the market made it better than it really is), but I am going to hold off ordering this on vinyl until I hear the whole thing.

I doubt they will sell out all 3 /100 variants - of which the mockups look pretty sweet - anytime soon. And with a release date in January, that is way too far off.

• jhulud locked this topic