Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

SO, how do I sum up last night. Man,  still don't have the words. I think I'm going to have to wait till my vacation is over, and use the time to gather my thoughts. As always I have tons of news for you, guys. In the mean time, I'll just leave you with one solitary picture for you all to be jealous over.

Getting to hear Q/F/F for just me and my girlfriend:

So when I said that Caspian were going to play YATC for me, I didn't exactly tell you guys the full story. So I told Phil about my friend who was coming to see me from the UK. I'm madly in love with this girl, and wanted to do something special for her. So I planned her visit around this Philly show. When I was in DC I talked to Phil about it, that I wanted to do something special for her, so he agreed to help me out. One of her favorite songs is the Holy Trinity (Quovis, Further In, Further Out). Phil said he would play it for sound check for just the two of us, and when it was over I was going to ask her out. So I had to keep that a secret for a fucking month. We had to leave pretty early in the morning to get up to Philly by 4:30pm. She was wondering why we were leaving so early, so about half way to Philly I told her that we were going to the venue early cause Caspian is going to play her favorite song for just the two of us. She immediately started crying with happiness. She has never seen Caspian before, so it was even more reason to make this really memorable. We got to the venue and I introduced her to Phil and Erin. Phil was so nice as always thanking her for coming and all. So I show her around the venue, and we sit and talk as the guys set up the equipment, and check the sound boards. Later they come on and open up with some Dust to warm up. Then they get into Q/F/F. They were absolutely going off. Phil was jumping off the drum riser, and going wild. It was fucking fantastic. We watched from upstairs, just the two of us. It was fucking magical. It felt so surreal to watch my favorite band play my favorite song, just for me and her. I talked to Phil later and see said they really don't care for that song much (live), but when he played it he felt so good, as if the whole room was full. He was so glad he played it for us, and could feel all the energy. After the song was over I asked her out. She said "we've pretty much been dating for 3 months already" - she's such a smart ass which I love. I said "so is that a yes", and she said yes. So that was my whole elaborate plan to ask out my girlfriend. I figured there was no way she could say no to Caspian playing her a private show. Turns out I was right. Probably helps she was already in love  with me, too. Haha.

As far as the show went, wow. The sound there was huge. That venue has such good acoustics. Appleseed was fantastic as always. Their set went by so fast; I wanted more. This might have been the best Caspian show I have ever seen. The sound, the energy, the love, the set list, the venue, the emotion, the private show, the getting to date my dream girl, a damn good combination. It was a damn good set (what they've been doing this tour w. Ghosts). Also Calvin was playing so that made the night even that much more special. After the show I hung out with the guys, and caught up. So good to see them all as always. We talked music, the future, records, and all that good stuff. I told Phil that my plan was successful, thanked him again, and we hugged. Can't thank that man enough. Caspian (and Phil) are some of the best people ever. I mean, who else would go through all that trouble for someone? Man, it just makes me love and appreciate them even more. I got all the dudes to sign my Four Trees test press. It was pretty funny to see some of their reactions to it. My favorite being 'HOLY FUCK, WHAT IS THIS! How?!'. And getting it signed by Calvin was really special, which Phil confirmed multiple times. Haha.

nLUXudh.jpg

As far as Caspian news I talked to Phil about getting the Audiotree live stream pressed. He said that he is going to try his hardest to make it happen cause he really wants to put out a live LP. They have to make sure the mix is good, and have the label approve it, but he is optimistic. So there is a decent chance it is going to happen. Also, there is a spring tour in the works. It's probably going to be March / April, and be a massive 5 week tour. So plenty of stops on this one. They are planning a '127 North' coffee for the next blend, so coffee addicts will be pleased. Lastly, there might be some new music in the works...

So yeah, that's about everything, unless something pops into my head later.

Edited by Dave Grohl

Just got back from TWDY in NYC.  Very, very emotional show for them.... what with Mike Bell from Lymbyc Systym passing.  The guitarist who stands, stage-left, was crying the entire set.  Pretty heavy stuff. 

It was great to see these tracks live though; the album standouts were different from the stage standouts, for me.  But I did lose it completely when the first big peak of "The World Is Our ____" hit me.  Crying and everything.  Pretty incredible feeling. 

Three-Legged Workhouse and Threads live though.... mannnnn they were awesome.  But I think my highlight is "Happiness: We're All In It Together".  That track was just so, so powerful.... floating on that ride cymbal beat.  They also covered a Lymbyc Systym song as an encore.  Only encore of the tour. 

Hey Guys,

Pelican is releasing a 2xLP of their performance at dunk!festival 2016 through dunk!records and pre-orders are underway.  We have a limited quantity for sale at A Thousand Arms if anyone is interested.  We were only given 75 to sell and more than half are gone since we launched the pre-order this morning.  

In other news, we will have a small vinyl restock of Nuit Noire by Lost In Kiev along with a few copies of The Seven Mile Journey's new 2xLP and the new LP from Flash The Readies available this Friday.  And since it's Black Friday we will have them marked down a bit.

Thanks!

Edited by athousandarms

On 11/17/2016 at 9:41 PM, Dave Grohl said:

SO, how do I sum up last night. Man,  still don't have the words. I think I'm going to have to wait till my vacation is over, and use the time to gather my thoughts. As always I have tons of news for you, guys. In the mean time, I'll just leave you with one solitary picture for you all to be jealous over.

Getting to hear Q/F/F for just me and my girlfriend:

Bummer, missed the photo! Great story, though!!

Finally got around to creating the covers for my Russian Circles tests. Pretty pleased with how they came out considering I'm art illiterate unless it is more technical like photography. 

stencils and spray paint. Still need to add the album names at bottom right (in black I think).

This one is kind of crooked though, but still good.

o6DPR-io6HCAVxrung3MnOw4Faw27yOS9dGQV30ZXC280DLwW0jpTE_lbzaxFGOHcUIQjcboqZf9yNovCOHahg3zUVUNmuDlTiPhYTDNg1lv9v55vOzzRVpyLU0ClcbVTdNFt8M7lZNkNvjmbmBirfNbqjJeZQqS7J-qaaerIFAj7cgf8Yg4Po7yl7z4Vr5ig1jPRsERNn0GRAMXHr3VniScOhdjn-tfk1q_xLhlVOYpttZOFm1tWXepiGd7La-BL9Nn0czFwsxATw0CRfUGreNWgYcg82eJUX06Y_Mbz78WyEnq09ntuMjU16S2vNcqfCww_Db1fzwgrGLtndrSnb8AjVH9F_kPEY5AVdlP0ohgpaDHkYcy9zj7HoMmXV0LDH9VgT0H3yr5BXo2muvtN8cLlF3cae0aLuxdk1RGRTteNKdkKxSyS3A9SBkbQaFDln944RCdRDXr6Cn1jdVxmndvnheIDnFZyeXfBO8wprgG_YL-At3Qa0CMJ9ncwwF3xw-bpYBcJv2k1mLi6qUcje8auq2aUA34vkZF3jwkBS97x6R2kvSQTh5HJRtzcYlKXqox0B2QKdjsHljTbCtBmV5Uf_oNIJFFSJFZYjqZanxX6UUL=w573-h764-no

So, holy fuck.  Deafheaven is ABSOLUTELY incredible live.  Wow.  I know this makes me seem like an emo sissy or whatever, but I was a fucking mess during their set.  It was just so emotional for me.  It could have been all the traveling I'd been doing, and my body was just depleted, or the fact that I was with this awesome new girl I really like who might actually work out to be something real....   but holy fuck, I cried throughout the entirety of "Dream House".  It was so cathartic.  Screaming that ending with George, right up front near him....  unreal experience. 

Unexpectedly, the end of "Come Back" also got me there as well.  Did not anticipate that.  Kerry's shimmery notes bouncing throughout that concert hall, engulfing my whole being, was just too powerful. 

I also met Kerry and George after the show.  There was some drama; they may have gotten the house soundman fired from the Chance due to deliberately mixing out George's vocals for most of the show.  Something about the soundguy not liking the Deafheaven roadie?  I don't know, it was weird... we were standing right next to them as this thing was going on, but it was so loud it was hard to tell exactly what was happening, but Kerry was pretty livid and something was happening at the sound booth. 

A new tour will be announced in a few days.  I picked up the demo on vinyl (for $30 which was fucking stupid, I realize.... oh well) a shirt, and a CD of Roads to Judah, finally. 

Oddly enough, they didn't end with Dream House.  They busted out Unrequited which was a huge, awesome surprise.  I prefer "Violet" from that album, but Unrequited was a treat as well. 

Brought To The Water

From The Kettle Onto The Coil

Come Back

Dream House -> Irresistible

Unrequited

I have some post stuff for sale. Using the funds to get over the UK. Let me know if you guys want anything.

Whole sale here:

*shels - Plains Of The Purple Buffalo - 2xLP - Purple Marble - 2nd Press
Amenra - Mass IIII - 2xLP - White - 3rd Press
Ancients - Star Showers On The Euphrates - LP - Bone/Purple - /300
Appleseed Cast - Peregrine - 2xLP - Bone w. White / Translucent Black w. Smoke - /230
Beware of Safety - Dogs - 2xLP - Yellow/Black - Tour Edition - /100
Beware of Safety - It Is Curtains - LP - Red w. Black Haze - /350
Beware of Safety - Leaves/Scars - 2xLP - White w. Black Streaks - Mailorder Edition - /100
Colaris - Renewal - 2xLP - Yearning (Light Blue w. Black and White Haze) - /111
Damascus - Heights - LP - Ultra Clear w. Black Haze - #/300 (out of 240)
Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II - 2xLP - Translucent Red 180g - /500

Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lions Skull - 2xLP - Black - Bible Edition - /2500
East of The Wall / Year of No Light / Rosetta - Split - 2xLP - Clear w. Brown Haze - /200
Ef - Give Me Beauty... Or Give Me Death! - 2xLP - White w. Multicolored Splatter - 2nd Press - /500
God Is An Astronaut - All Is Violent, All Is Bright - LP - Clear - /500
If These Trees Could Talk - S/T & AtE,BtS - 2xLP - Clear w. Black Center & White Splatter - /250
If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest - LP - Clear w. Red and Black Splatter - 3rd Press - /100
Kokomo - If Wolves - LP - Clear - /300
Kokomo - Monochrome Love Noise - 2xLP - White, Pink - Pre-order Edition - /500
Omega Massif - Kalt - LP - Clear w. Blue Splatter - 180g - /150
Omega Massif / Mount Logan - Split - LP - Grey - /900
Pelican - City of Echoes - LP - Transparent Light Blue
Pg.lost - In Never Out - 2xLP - Grass Splatter - /250
Set and Setting - A Vivid Memory - 2xLP - Puprle Marble - Tour Edition - /200
Set and Setting - Equanimity - LP - Clear - /250
Shy, Low - Binary Opposition - LP - Black/Clear - /150
Sumac - What One Becomes - 2xLP - Clear
This Will Destroy You - S/T - 2xLP - Grey / Pink
This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain - LP - Kraft Brown / White Cover - Black Pollen - 9th Pressing w. Black Sleeves - Exretemely Limited due to this being a mix up of variants in the 9th pressing - Signed Cover
Vasudeva - Life In Cycles - LP - Bone - 180g - /150
Year of No Light - Nord - 2xLP - Black - /700 - 3rd Press
Year of No Light - Nord - 2xLP - White - /300 - 3rd Press

• jhulud locked this topic