Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

This thread has inspired me to spin Tertia again tomorrow.  It's been a while since I've spun it.  I don't even know which variant I have.... i got it from them when I saw them in Providence last year.  I think it's gold, but I don't recall. 

Shifting gears..... UNDER THE PIPAL TREE ON VINYL!!!!!

On 12/8/2016 at 9:53 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

so... you guys should check this out.  It's a live set from Trna.  They're a blackgaze band from Russia... this stuff is fantastic.  Elusive Sound just signed them and will be putting out some vinyl soon. 

12:00-15:00 of this video is absolute pure post-rock glory, in my opinion.  THIS is why I listen to this genre.  Soaring, celestial stuff... could you imagine being in that room, with that music? 

21 months ago.  

On 11. Dezember 2016 at 7:43 PM, coreystevens88 said:

^^ Will be ordering that clear/yellow splatter Wavering Radiant immediately upon posting tomorrow.

So, I listened to Caspian's 'Tertia' last night for the very first time - with all the love for the album in this thread, I purposely avoided listening to it until I owned in on vinyl.  That day came with Mylene Sheath's 50% off Cyber Monday sale, and my black/gold split copy arrived yesterday.  Blown away by the music... but probably the worst sounding album I've heard.  There was an audible difference when the wax spun from the gold half to the black side, with the black side almost 'hissing' until it reached gold wax again.  So now, I want a much better sounding copy of Tertia.  @Dave Grohl - maybe you can help recommend me an option or two?

Another subject - has anyone who ordered Pelican - Live at Dunk! from A Thousand Arms received theirs yet?  

Lastly, I'm hunting for a copy of the Pelican/Mono Split - preferably a Hydra Head version, but would be interested in any version, if anyone in the thread has one they don't need!

Not sure about that particular press, but generally you can say the production of this album is a disaster...still my favorite Caspian record 

2 minutes ago, Sasan said:

Not sure about that particular press, but generally you can say the production of this album is a disaster...still my favorite Caspian record 

Yup, this.  Even the best Tertia press will suffer from some fairly muddy drums at drums.  Tracks from the album are my favorite played live, just because those drums sound like night and day.  I know the band said they wanted to do a Tertia tour for its 10 year in 2019, and way before talk of that there was a rumor that they were interested in re-recording the album from scratch to properly master it, I think.  I'd be down.

Thank you all for the Tertia words of wisdom - I will definitely try and give my gold/black split another clean, but it sounds like my best option is to hit up @mrewest after the holiday's and snag his black 4th press.

I think I am almost Gumbo-level excited to have Under the Pipal Tree on vinyl next month.  

8 hours ago, Sasan said:

Yeah I kind of hated Tertia at first because of the production.  I'd heard live versions of all those songs before the studio album, and the choked, muffled production was very off-putting. 

But those songs.... good lord.  I'm spinning it right now as I finish a presentation I have to give tonight, and man.... The Raven!!!!!!!!  THE RAVEN!!!!!  Are you kidding?!?  God, this material is just ridiculous.  Even songs that I was kind of meh about before like Epochs and Concresence are just so fucking perfect and beautiful. 

I'm thinking I'll probably hit 2 or 3 of the Tertia tour when that happens. 

So, a bunch of people on my Facebook feeds have been flipping over this new group/album.  I've only been able to give it a cursory first listen, but it seems to have LOTS of potential!  They're very atmospheric and melodic, obviously, and it starts very ambient with almost a Hammock-like vibe and then builds into more classic rock-based orchestration.  You guys will have a better sense of bands to compare it to.  They get pretty low in the bass register, but it's not heavy in the post-metal sense.  Moderate tempo, not fast like SMW or PFS. 

The band is Ravena, and the album is Laocoön. 

https://ravena.bandcamp.com/album/laoco-n

On 12/15/2016 at 0:01 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

So, a bunch of people on my Facebook feeds have been flipping over this new group/album.  I've only been able to give it a cursory first listen, but it seems to have LOTS of potential!  They're very atmospheric and melodic, obviously, and it starts very ambient with almost a Hammock-like vibe and then builds into more classic rock-based orchestration.  You guys will have a better sense of bands to compare it to.  They get pretty low in the bass register, but it's not heavy in the post-metal sense.  Moderate tempo, not fast like SMW or PFS. 

The band is Ravena, and the album is Laocoön. 

https://ravena.bandcamp.com/album/laoco-n

This sounds like something I'd be really into right now.  I've been on a modern classical/ambient kick lately so this looks right in the same vein. Will report back once I can listen in full.

On 12/12/2016 at 8:58 PM, The Butcha said:

My half black/gold really doesn't sound too bad. I think I'd say my first press maroon might sound the best. Followed by the bloody splatter. Then the black/gold sounds just about as good as my 2nd press gold.

My Half and Half sounds just fine as well. Like Matt, best overall is my 1st press /100 Black (ebay $18 ;) )  My working copy used to be 2nd press White.

On 12/13/2016 at 3:29 AM, Derek™ said:

Yup, this.  Even the best Tertia press will suffer from some fairly muddy drums at drums.  Tracks from the album are my favorite played live, just because those drums sound like night and day.  I know the band said they wanted to do a Tertia tour for its 10 year in 2019, and way before talk of that there was a rumor that they were interested in re-recording the album from scratch to properly master it, I think.  I'd be down.

Forbsie has Phil pinned down for the re-recording of Tertia at some point in the future. Still waiting on that solo lead Phil promised as well,

On another note, The Seven Mile Journey was so worth the wait, and exceeded my expectations. Same for Meniscus. Several met, and several fell below. Not looking forward to doing the annual 'best of' this year. Too many life distractions right now.

11 hours ago, drds89 said:

My Half and Half sounds just fine as well. Like Matt, best overall is my 1st press /100 Black (ebay $18 ;) )  My working copy used to be 2nd press White.

I don't even want to tell you how much I had to pay for my copy off Discogs... haha. But it was worth it.

11 hours ago, Sasan said:

Haha, that was the best (and only!) deal I've ever found :D

HOLD UP, what is this $3 Jakob story???

18 hours ago, drds89 said:

Forbsie has Phil pinned down for the re-recording of Tertia at some point in the future. Still waiting on that solo lead Phil promised as well,

On another note, The Seven Mile Journey was so worth the wait, and exceeded my expectations. Same for Meniscus. Several met, and several fell below. Not looking forward to doing the annual 'best of' this year. Too many life distractions right now.

You know.... I don't even know if Tertia needs to be re-recorded.  I think it's fantastic as it is; the only thing that doesn't elevate to it's usual level is Sycamore and i think that's because they play it live so much, we're so used to that more explosive live version. 

Every other song on that album satisfies so much though.  It's truly perfect. 

• jhulud locked this topic