Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

6 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

It really does. 

I would personally keep at least one probably all of my "original" pressings since I would enjoy revisiting that classic mix we're all used to – and also because I have a problem – but there's no denying that I'd go balls deep on a proper rerecording or miraculous remaster.  It speaks volumes that most of us are still gushing over an album that's nearly 8 years old, but I think that's a testament to how powerful the songwriting is over the production quality.  (Which isn't atrocious... it could just be so much better.)  The idea of being able to hop back and forth between current Tertia and a 2019 Tertia that's on the same production scale as Dust & Disquiet is a delightful thought to consider.

6 hours ago, Sasan said:

I scored a sealed copy of Jakob's Solace on eBay for 1.50€ almost exactly 4 years ago... :)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/150967291301

nooooooooo way.  Was that an error in the listing and you made out on the correct end!??!

In other news, Athletics test-presses are up on Discogs for $400 each. 

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/419688886?utm_campaign=sell_email_new&utm_medium=email&format=Vinyl&text=Athletics-Who-You-Are-Is-Not-Enough&ev=wh_new&utm_source=relationship

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/419688829?utm_campaign=sell_email_new&utm_medium=email&format=Vinyl&text=Athletics-Why-Arent-I-Home&ev=wh_new&utm_source=relationship

38 minutes ago, abovetheearth said:

i think he would agree with us more on sound if he upgraded his system. Not saying he has to, certainly not knocking it, but if you think that album doesn't need a re-recording, then i wonder what other hellacious pressings sound pretty good to you. 

Thank. You.

Also, that dude selling those those Athletics tests is you Charlie. Check the avatar. ; )

Edited by Dave Grohl

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

nooooooooo way.  Was that an error in the listing and you made out on the correct end!??!

Not really sure if he knew what he was selling. It said something like "I have this twice, maybe a nice Christmas present". 

Was a regular auction and my highest bid was something like 50€. Should have seen my face when it ended at 1.50€  Hell Yeah, it was a nice Christmas present that I made myself! :D

10 hours ago, Sasan said:

Not really sure if he knew what he was selling. It said something like "I have this twice, maybe a nice Christmas present". 

Was a regular auction and my highest bid was something like 50€. Should have seen my face when it ended at 1.50€  Hell Yeah, it was a nice Christmas present that I made myself! :D

I'm not sure there will ever be another crazy deal like that, ever again.  Maybe if someone gets Erfo for like $8 or something.  Or scores the first Oceansize album for $20. 

I mean I feel pretty good about getting the CD version of Solace for like $10 I think; i didn't pay a lot at all. 

22 hours ago, Derek™ said:

And before you argue the points, Gumbo; just think of it like the same head-turning bombshell but in a new kingpin-drugprom dress.

20 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

i think he would agree with us more on sound if he upgraded his system. Not saying he has to, certainly not knocking it, but if you think that album doesn't need a re-recording, then i wonder what other hellacious pressings sound pretty good to you. 

Cough. Care to weigh in @Gumbo72203.

11 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I'm not sure there will ever be another crazy deal like that, ever again.  Maybe if someone gets Erfo for like $8 or something.  Or scores the first Oceansize album for $20.

I'l let you know when I stumble upon $20 Deadwing.... -.-

Edited by Sasan

On 12/18/2016 at 8:51 PM, Dave Grohl said:

Cough. Care to weigh in @Gumbo72203.

I actually spun Tertia last week because we were all talking about it.  The album is great; I listen to it WAY more on CD though because I can pop it in my car and I have much more listening time there in that environment.  I mean.... the production is still the same, I think I'm just more used to it.  Malacoda sounds fucking fantastic though on vinyl. 

Other good pressings?  My yellow swirl Wavering Radiant comes to mind immediately, and the clear/blob You Are The Conductor always impressed me. 

ohhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyy goddddddddd!  This band!

So, pretty sure none of you have ever heard of this group.  I have a buddy on facebook who posts all sorts of obscure post-rock stuff, and this group from Boston was on his list the other day.  This stuff is MAGNIFICENT.  Just listen.  It's melodic, it's energetic, it's fucking transcendent.  This first track is absolutely incredible.  I wish the drums had better production, but overall the sound is really "streamy" I guess, I don't know how else to describe it.  It kinda sounds like you're flying behind the turbine engine of a 747 and peaking on mescaline while surrounded by a garden of reverb pedals.  Pretty soaring stuff, to me, without sounding like too much else I can think of (maybe some EITS in the arpeggiated guitar lines). 

https://somniferous.bandcamp.com/album/somniferous-i

41 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

ohhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyy goddddddddd!

This stuff is MAGNIFICENT.

it's fucking transcendent.

It kinda sounds like you're flying behind the turbine engine of a 747 and peaking on mescaline while surrounded by a garden of reverb pedals. 

1479.gif

38 minutes ago, drds89 said:

ITTCT is embarrassingly high, but outside of that I spy a lot of stellar picks on that list.

On the subject of lists, the lady forwarded this list to me the other day – and pointed out that some of the comments were quick to point out a lack of Caspian – but I thought it was an interesting read.  I feel like it's a little more favorable of late 90 and early 00 acts, but still good stuff.

17 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

1479.gif

ITTCT is embarrassingly high, but outside of that I spy a lot of stellar picks on that list.

On the subject of lists, the lady forwarded this list to me the other day – and pointed out that some of the comments were quick to point out a lack of Caspian – but I thought it was an interesting read.  I feel like it's a little more favorable of late 90 and early 00 acts, but still good stuff.

Best response gif to that nonsense. Apparently Gumbo has flown behind airplane turbines. 

Metaception: where you over-the-top metaphor is inside of another over-the-top metaphor. (No limit on number of layers.)

ITTCT is way too high.

Té, among others, is way, way too low.

Show Me A Dinosaur is on it.

Pray For Sound is bland as hell.

Too any big names getting more credit than deserved.

At least Russian Circles is at the top.

Meniscus cracking the top 20 is rad.

But they do have a fair amount of really good albums on there.

15 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Best response gif to that nonsense. Apparently Gumbo has flown behind airplane turbines. 

Metaception: where you over-the-top metaphor is inside of another over-the-top metaphor. (No limit on number of layers.)

Maybe I have.  Listen to the damn music and tell me it doesn't sound like that!

1 hour ago, drds89 said:

This list feels like "most popular bands" as opposed to "best" albums.  ITTCT as number 2 is a joke.  I know I seem to be the only I Built the Sky fan here, but the fact that's not on there seems to prove my point.

EDIT:  The fact that it's a fan vote also seems to prove my point.

Edited by mrewest

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I actually spun Tertia last week because we were all talking about it.  The album is great; I listen to it WAY more on CD though because I can pop it in my car and I have much more listening time there in that environment.  I mean.... the production is still the same, I think I'm just more used to it.  Malacoda sounds fucking fantastic though on vinyl. 

Other good pressings?  My yellow swirl Wavering Radiant comes to mind immediately, and the clear/blob You Are The Conductor always impressed me. 

That's not I was referring to.

On 12/17/2016 at 11:56 PM, abovetheearth said:

I meant to comment on your system quality as far as how an album sounds to you. Go listen to Tertia on a better system and you'll hear why we want a re-recording. Cause like Charlie said, if you think Tertia's sound quality is amazing, we wonder what other albums that have a low or poor DR rating that you think are amazing. I love Caspian. They're my favorite post rock band, if not my favorite band period, but the quality of their actual recordings, even as far as Waking Season, are middle of the road at best.

Let me break down the dynamic range of Waking Season for you:

Source: Samplerate: 44100 Hz // Channels: 2 // Bits per sample: 16 Bitrate: // 983 kbps // Codec: FLAC

DR    Peak         RMS            Duration     Track

DR6 0.00 dB -9.22 dB       5:21              01-Waking Season

DR6 0.00 dB -8.90 dB       6:14              02-Procellous

DR5 0.00 dB -8.59 dB       10:24           03-Gone In Bloom And Bough

DR6 0.00 dB -8.02 dB       5:15              04-Halls Of The Summer

DR8 0.00 dB -11.48 dB    3:33              05-Akiko

DR8 -0.04 dB -11.26 dB   3:38             06-High Lonesome

DR5 0.00 dB -7.59 dB        6:04             07-Hickory '54

DR7 0.00 dB -10.73 dB     6:11             08-Long The Desert Mile

DR5 -0.08 dB -8.15 dB       2:34            09-Collider In Blue

DR6 0.00 dB -8.05 dB         7:49            10-Fire Made Flesh

0bjFFK2.png

Waking Season just barely breaks the transition section coming in at an 8 for 'Akiko' and 'High Lonesome'. That is still two and a half points away from being mid-tier, and that's at their best. Most of the album comes in at a lack luster 6 overall. That's down right awful honestly. And that doesn't have anything to do with the band, but the quality of the dynamic range.

Keep in mind that is loseless and listening with proper equipment. It goes down dramatically if you are using an inferior source, or inferior equipment.

Let me give you some post rock benchmarks:

5 | Isis - Mosquito Control

6 | Mono - For My Parents

7 | This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket

8 | ITTCT - Above

9 | Omega Massif - Karpatia

10 | Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞

11 | Russian Circles - Guidance / Alcest - Kodama

12 | Mogwai - Atomic / Earth - Hex

13 | Slint - Spiderland / Sigur Ros - Von

Honestly, not a lot of post music breaks the into the good category dynamic range wise. It's kind of sad. But if you want to listen to a pretty big difference get a loseless copy of Mosquito Control and Spiderland, then listen to a DAC, headphone amp, and a good pair of open headphones, then compare. The difference is night and day, and that's not even getting into the good category. And keep in mind, this isn't about the album, but the quality of the sound.

Since post rock albums don't hit that 14+ mark too often (because it's a fairly new[er] genre), here are some examples of the best sounding albums recorded and analyzed for their dynamic range:

13 | Beck - Mellow Gold

13 | Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine

14 | Neil Young - Harvest

14 | Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill

15 | Nirvana - Unplugged

15 | Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

15 | Bob Dylan - Slow Train Coming

17 | Miles Davis - Live At Montreux

19 | Steve Earle - Copperhead Road

Anyways, I doubt any of this will matter since you will just blast some CD in your car or spin a record on a DJ table. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

19 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

That's not I was referring to.

I meant to comment on your system quality as far as how an album sounds to you. Go listen to Tertia on a better system and you'll hear why we want a re-recording. Cause like Charlie said, if you think Tertia's sound quality is amazing, we wonder what other albums that have a low or poor DR rating that you think are amazing. I love Caspian. They're my favorite post rock band, if not my favorite band period, but the quality of their actual recordings, even as far as Waking Season, are middle of the road at best.

Honestly, not a lot of post music breaks the into the good category dynamic range wise. It's kind of sad. But if you want to listen to a pretty big difference get a loseless copy of Mosquito Control and Spiderland, then listen to a DAC, headphone amp, and a good pair of open headphones, then compare. The difference is night and day, and that's not even getting into the good category. And keep in mind, this isn't about the album, but the quality of the sound.

I mean.... I think you maybe misunderstood me.  I'm not saying it sounds amazing; I think I've just grown accustomed and comfortable/satisfied with it.  I haaaaaated it at first.  Absolutely hated it.  But the more I gave time to it and familiarized myself more with the sound it has and the material, I grew to like it.  So, for that reason, to me, I don't need a re-recording.  I'm good with it.  I do notice a difference between the CD and vinyl, but yeah that could be my listening environment; the vinyl is much more spatial, I suppose you could say.  It has a lot more depth and richness to the sound.  Malacoda is always my benchmark for that album, and I love how it sounds.  But yeah, I'm okay with it now.  It used to really, really bother me though, at first.

What do you think is the reasoning for the poor quality you're saying it has though, is it the gear that was used to record it?  Why would something like Mosquito Control have a wider dynamic range than Tertia?

8 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I mean.... I think you maybe misunderstood me.  I'm not saying it sounds amazing; I think I've just grown accustomed and comfortable/satisfied with it.  I haaaaaated it at first.  Absolutely hated it.  But the more I gave time to it and familiarized myself more with the sound it has and the material, I grew to like it.  So, for that reason, to me, I don't need a re-recording.  I'm good with it.  I do notice a difference between the CD and vinyl, but yeah that could be my listening environment; the vinyl is much more spatial, I suppose you could say.  It has a lot more depth and richness to the sound.  Malacoda is always my benchmark for that album, and I love how it sounds.  But yeah, I'm okay with it now.  It used to really, really bother me though, at first.

What do you think is the reasoning for the poor quality you're saying it has though, is it the gear that was used to record it?  Why would something like Mosquito Control have a wider dynamic range than Tertia?

Mastering it to be louder, is the biggest cause of poor DR.

8 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Did you know that Stockholm Syndrome was directly named after 4 hostages of a bank robbery in Stockholm, Sweden, in 1973?

• jhulud locked this topic