Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

I guess I probably have more of a soft spot for Pelican than others because they were really the first instrumental band I got super interested in.  I'm most partial to their earlier releases, Australasia and The Fire in our Throats.  

Interesting to see City of Echoes named as a favorite, as it would probably end a list of my favorite Pelican releases.

11 hours ago, pemulis said:

A little late to the conversation but love the RC discussion. Been one of my favourites since Enter and Guidance crushes it (easily #1 record of the year for me).  I also think Empros is criminally underrated. 

RE: Pelican. Their new(ish) record fucking rips. I love that band and most of their releases too, so I'm a bit biased. Think I might be one of the few on this board. But if you ahve some down time, I'd recommend giving Forever Becoming a spin. 

Yeah Immutable Dusk is my favorite song....  Forever Becoming is good stuff.  Oddly enough, I was spinning "What We All Come To Need" in my car yesterday and found myself liking it a lot more than I remembered.  I bought the CD when I got the Rosetta compilation CD and soundtrack CD back in the Summer.  My thoughts on their songwriting still apply.... the songs kind of lose focus and become indistinguishable.  All of a sudden I look up and it's track 5, and it's like "oh i didn't realize there had been any stops or starts" haha.  Lot of good parts though, just the songwriting development could be a little better. 

Hey if you guys could take a few seconds and like the picture of "Everything Is Beautiful" by Pray For Sound, they're down by just 1 vote/like for Pirates Press album of the year.  They could win a whole bunch of free merch for the band, which would be huge. 

Please just do this one quick little thing.  I promise you won't get Facebook aids or a virus or suddenly like Brokencyde.    kthxbai!

3 hours ago, batman said:

Anyone get any good post-rock records for Christmas?

I got Envy - Recitation and Alcest - Shelter on CD from my step-brother, and my actual brother got me a sealed original press copy of Reload and a used copy of Van Halen II, both found at an antique store......  

It's the thought that counts sometimes haha

So, I just discovered this dude yesterday.  He had a track posted on a Jesu youtube video, and I checked it out and it's pretty incredible.  He has some other stuff that is like, this cool unique mixture of post-rock, dream-pop, and dark ambient I suppose because of the synth work.  Really unique sounding stuff, and I think you guys will dig it.  I really like it because it's got a great mixture of ambient, head-trip keyboard/synth stuff, and really stand-out basslines.  At least, they're recorded well enough to really be a focal point in the music, which I think a lot of post-rock doesn't focus on as much. 

This is the Jesu-like track. 

Here's another, more chill track: 

I don't know how many of you picked up Tarentel's "From Bone To Satellite" back when the repress was announced, but I'm spinning it again now for the first time since I got it, and good god, this thing is amazing!!!

If you want to pick it up, you can use coupon code TRL20 for a 20% off discount through the 31st.  The mix on this thing is so awesome; all of the instruments are dimensional and pop the way they should.  It's brilliant. 

Today has been a great day for record playing.  I've gone:  We Lost The Sea - The Quietest Place On Earth (cokebottle blue with white splatter!), ITTCT - Red Forest (1st press clear with red swirl), Van Halen - Van Halen II (xmas present from my brother, sounds really good actually!), Phish - Fuego (180g clear orange!), Fourteen Nights At Sea - Minor Light, Tarentel - From Bone To Satellite. 

Days off rule!  Finally sold my extra copy of Great North too!

Love it or hate it - these ladies (drummer doesn't matter) have wormed their way into my head, and their 3rd on Profound Lore (Flenser pressed their 2nd) follows their same groove: downtempo, slow burners, ethereal, haunting/ghostly vocals (think Sera Timms with Ides Of Gemini), postrock, usually a mid track wind up, but perfectly executed in duration and intensity. Love the moving bass lines.

I'd recommend skipping track 1 on the latest and giving 2 and 3 a whirl or two. When in the right mood - like now, after chaotic Friday at work - this is the perfect recipe for me.

Worm Ouroboros - What Graceless Dawn

I have no favorite of the 3, they could all be one album as far as I'm concerned, with subtle differences. What at first may seem meandering and directionless, after a few dedicated, patient listens reveals a well-planned journey. Hope a couple of y'uns likey.

Unless the search is failing me, it doesn't look like Wrekmeister Harmonies has been mentioned in the thread.  Think some people in here would like them.  Post-rock/metal that reminds me of Godspeed a bit (members of GYBE play on the new album).  Long orchestrated songs.  Mostly instrumental, they lean into black metal a tad sometimes.  The new album is all around dynamite, but everything they've released has been quite good.

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

Unless the search is failing me, it doesn't look like Wrekmeister Harmonies has been mentioned in the thread.  Think some people in here would like them.  Post-rock/metal that reminds me of Godspeed a bit (members of GYBE play on the new album).  Long orchestrated songs.  Mostly instrumental, they lean into black metal a tad sometimes.  The new album is all around dynamite, but everything they've released has been quite good.

I actually checked them out after seeing them on Audiotree.  Unfortunately they just bored me overall.  Thought the concept of the band & overall GYBE vibe would amount to more than it did.  Don't doubt some people might dig though.

• jhulud locked this topic