Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Congrats, Matt! I'm glad James sold that one to you :fistbump: 

So, today we find out Vasudeva's album at the end of March is called "No Clearance."

You May Die In The Desert are going to release something new...finally!

Sarah Lipstate (Noveller) has a new release and the teaser track is very, very good (her collab with Eric Quash of TQA is an absolutely beautiful listen if you never have checked and want some balance to your metal - Reveries takes drone to another level.)

There are some other things not quite firmed up yet to mention, and  my fellow shoegaze addicts are aware of all the buzz in that arena

2017 shaping up really good so far :)

edit: Reveries is on vinyl, but it's white.

Edited by drds89

1 hour ago, drds89 said:

You May Die In The Desert are going to release something new...finally!

Hopefully on vinyl for once.

Post-whatever releases I'm anticipating for 2017 include:

• And So I Watch You From Afar

• Balmorhea

• Braveyoung

• Giraffes? Giraffes!

• Grails

• Mogwai

And a few that haven't officially been confirmed, but are basically in the bag:

• The Appleseed Cast

• Do Make Say Think

• Sigur Rós

• Talons

What am I missing?  Please bear in mind that this list is limited to post-rock / math rock / post-metal / whatever, and doesn't include other genres I'm anticipating.  That being said, is anyone else stoked on something that this thread should know about?

5 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Hopefully on vinyl for once.

Post-whatever releases I'm anticipating for 2017 include:

• And So I Watch You From Afar

• Balmorhea

• Braveyoung

• Giraffes? Giraffes!

• Grails

• Mogwai

And a few that haven't officially been confirmed, but are basically in the bag:

• The Appleseed Cast

• Do Make Say Think

• Sigur Rós

• Talons

What am I missing?  Please bear in mind that this list is limited to post-rock / math rock / post-metal / whatever, and doesn't include other genres I'm anticipating.  That being said, is anyone else stoked on something that this thread should know about?

We should be getting new Lavinia this year. Possibly Deadhorse as well.

Here's some stuff that I'm anticipating in the post-whatever world. Some of these don't really have a confirmed release date:

Pijn
Set and Setting
Glories
Legendary Skies
Town Portal
Baulta
Toundra
Ranges
Sisters Of
This Patch of Sky
Astralia
Fourteen Nights at Sea
Rocket Miner
Junius
Cloudkicker
Riding Pânico
Glasir
BLAK

4 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Here's some stuff that I'm anticipating in the post-whatever world. Some of these don't really have a confirmed release date:

Pijn
Set and Setting
Glories
Legendary Skies
Town Portal
Baulta
Toundra
Ranges
Sisters Of
This Patch of Sky
Astralia
Fourteen Nights at Sea
Rocket Miner
Junius
Cloudkicker
Riding Pânico
Glasir
BLAK

Nice list. Pijn and Glories are probably top of mine as well.

I heard a snippet of the new BLAK album.... and it was pretty righteous.  You guys might call it a "typical" post-rock crescendo but I loved it; very intense stuff!  It's Randy from Temples, which you guys should also check out if you aren't familiar with. 

A Glasir full-length is so fucking needed though....

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I heard a snippet of the new BLAK album.... and it was pretty righteous.  You guys might call it a "typical" post-rock crescendo but I loved it; very intense stuff!  It's Randy from Temples, which you guys should also check out if you aren't familiar with. 

A Glasir full-length is so fucking needed though....

I feel like we're making huge strides in this thread, as a group, with you recognizing and accepting something that absolutely blows your mind but may be a bit more formulaic.  The Gumbo of this time last year wouldn't be able to classify something into both categories, I feel.  Real talk.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I feel like we're making huge strides in this thread, as a group, with you recognizing and accepting something that absolutely blows your mind but may be a bit more formulaic.  The Gumbo of this time last year wouldn't be able to classify something into both categories, I feel.  Real talk.

I still think it's absolutely worthy of flipping out over, because it's just SUCH a cool sound to begin with, but knowing you guys.... many of you seem jaded with regards to it.  But to me, it is such a transcendental sound.  I never tire of it when it's placed correctly within a song. 

Also, I've been checking out this Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster stuff.... and I'm really liking it!  I see the PSOTY comparisons.  More.... lean, I would suppose?  Not as drenched in ethereal reverb and spacey wetness. 

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I still think it's absolutely worthy of flipping out over, because it's just SUCH a cool sound to begin with, but knowing you guys.... many of you seem jaded with regards to it.  But to me, it is such a transcendental sound.  I never tire of it when it's placed correctly within a song. 

Also, I've been checking out this Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster stuff.... and I'm really liking it!  I see the PSOTY comparisons.  More.... lean, I would suppose?  Not as drenched in ethereal reverb and spacey wetness. 

Maybe after 10-15+ years of listening to post rock you'll be harder to sell / not as easily impressed.

6 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Maybe after 10-15+ years of listening to post rock you'll be harder to sell / not as easily impressed.

I mean, that's entirely possible.  I kind of got that way with death metal, but I think that had much more to do with growing up and becoming exposed to more things and opening my mind to allow myself to like different music.  Just because it has blast beats, double bass, and growling vocals doesn't mean it's amazing.  So I guess that analogy must be how you guys all feel towards post-rock with regards to speed-picked climaxes and whatnot.  But again, I'm not entirely sure it's an over-exposure thing. 

8 hours ago, drds89 said:

The list of slated releases above is dizzying. Almost overwhelming! Watchout, my shoegaze mistress ;)

Don, you know better than me what I like...any (1-3 REALLY GOOD) recommendations from the list above (rather albums than bands)?

I mean I'm tired of the permanent repetition of post-rock garbage that 90% is...give me something that blows my mind!

I'd rather call it Instrumental Prog-Rock than Post-Rock, but there are some post-elements....these guys blew my mind yesterday!

Edited by Sasan

7 hours ago, Sasan said:

Don, you know better than me what I like...any (1-3 REALLY GOOD) recommendations from the list above (rather albums than bands)?

I mean I'm tired of the permanent repetition of post-rock garbage that 90% is...give me something that blows my mind!

I'd rather call it Instrumental Prog-Rock than Post-Rock, but there are some post-elements....these guys blew my mind yesterday!

I know exactly what you mean with the postrock genre these days, Sasan - I am going to give every one of those up there a listen, because they have the potential to knock it out of the park , but also the potential for mediocrity.  If it really is a home run, then I will make the physical purchase. Like I waited to give Lost In Kiev: Nuit Noire at least 10 listens. Not too many blind purchases anymore. Caspian, yes.  Set and Setting first song was v. good, but the 2nd I am nonplussed, and it is not going to sell out anytime soon. Cloudkicker has a high chance of a score, but Ben is not doing physical anymore.

Was Sleepmakeswaves back there? I can't scroll back. Not funding that; again, will wait for the whole burrito before purchasing.

I don't think PostRock is Dead yet (almost bought that shirt on UpC DownC bandcamp lol), but the number of groups pushing the envelope is rather small. So there is a faint pulse, and it's nice some US bands are keeping it alive as well as remote parts of the former Soviet Union.

At work they have this Barracuda filter so no streaming, but I will check that song out when it's not a red X :)

I can link my top ten from Instagram post last year to see if our ears are still very similar.

8 hours ago, Sasan said:

That was pretty damn cool!  I really liked that.  Very haunting, but not dark.  Good pick!

Also, I know I'm probably super late to the game, but the latest Oh Hiroshima album came on my Youtube autoplay this morning, and that album is pretty great too!  The whole thing flows very well, and I just love their atmosphere.  Really cool stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Freki said:

Yeah I'd love that Oh Hiroshima on vinyl but looks like only buying option is Napalm Europe.

Yeah, me too.  Some doof on Discogs has it for like 40euro lol.  People are funny. 

Pretty sure you guys all know about this band/album too but this came up next and it NEVER disappoints for me.  One album I would absolutely FLIP if it were ever made into a physical release. 

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also, I know I'm probably super late to the game, but the latest Oh Hiroshima album came on my Youtube autoplay this morning, and that album is pretty great too!  The whole thing flows very well, and I just love their atmosphere.  Really cool stuff. 

I've been pimping this album for a year now.  It's fantastic.  The vinyl sounds insanely flat though.  I'm glad to own it, but digital sounds way better IMO.

49 minutes ago, mrewest said:

I've been pimping this album for a year now.  It's fantastic.  The vinyl sounds insanely flat though.  I'm glad to own it, but digital sounds way better IMO.

Really?  That's very curious, because Napalm's website says that it was re-mastered specifically for vinyl too.  That's a bummer, but I guess good for my wallet.... I'll just try to pick the CD up eventually. 

Speaking of NEW music, though.....  you guys HAVE to hear the new Appalaches track.  http://arcticdrones.com/exclusives/appalaches-milsai/

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Speaking of NEW music, though.....  you guys HAVE to hear the new Appalaches track.  http://arcticdrones.com/exclusives/appalaches-milsai/

Yes, new Appalaches song is very good.  New Glories and Of the Vine songs coming this Friday via a new compilation we have put together called "Hemispheres: Volume I".  This compilation consists of two sides, Side A featuring bands from the Northern Hemisphere and Side B featuring bands from the Southern Hemisphere.  Post-rock/metal/math and a little bit of everything in between.

https://athousandarms.bandcamp.com/

Edited by athousandarms

15 hours ago, drds89 said:

I know exactly what you mean with the postrock genre these days, Sasan - I am going to give every one of those up there a listen, because they have the potential to knock it out of the park , but also the potential for mediocrity.  If it really is a home run, then I will make the physical purchase. Like I waited to give Lost In Kiev: Nuit Noire at least 10 listens. Not too many blind purchases anymore. Caspian, yes.  Set and Setting first song was v. good, but the 2nd I am nonplussed, and it is not going to sell out anytime soon. Cloudkicker has a high chance of a score, but Ben is not doing physical anymore.

Was Sleepmakeswaves back there? I can't scroll back. Not funding that; again, will wait for the whole burrito before purchasing.

I don't think PostRock is Dead yet (almost bought that shirt on UpC DownC bandcamp lol), but the number of groups pushing the envelope is rather small. So there is a faint pulse, and it's nice some US bands are keeping it alive as well as remote parts of the former Soviet Union.

At work they have this Barracuda filter so no streaming, but I will check that song out when it's not a red X :)

I can link my top ten from Instagram post last year to see if our ears are still very similar.

Yeah, I think none of the last 30 records I've purchased were anything related to anything post-ish stuff...and post-rock albums I've listened to before deciding whether to order or not haven't been good enough to make me pull the trigger.

I thought, though, with your comment before, you know all the stuff listed there :) Therefore I asked you...but if you find anything there enjoyable, let me know :)

16 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah, not bad at all...but 20€ + shipping for 38 minutes? :wacko:

• jhulud locked this topic