Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

14 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

So...I don't usually contribute bands in here because you dudes are all so much more versed in the post-whatever stuff than I am. I'm really enjoying this right now though. Apologies if they've already been mentioned before/are too pedestrian ;)

https://paleons.bandcamp.com/album/hyperborean

edit: vinyl coming soon apparently if anyone digs it.

Yeah this is pretty satisfying!

@The Ghost of Randy Savage whoa, who do you think you are recommending music 'round these parts? You obviously don't pop in here that often. You need to know what this thread is truly for: Gumbo updating us on the records he has on the way, what he paid for said records, which records got damaged in shipment, complaining about said damage, what labels he tries to get free stuff from even though the carrier damaged the record in the first place, trying to get us to join group buys even though they end up being more expensive than buying it yourself, telling us how many CDs he buys and which one is currently in his car, what bands he bothers on FB, which bands ignored him or took too long to get back to them (how dare they have lives), all while going on random tangents with drunken metaphors that make us hit our forehead on the table right after we say 'oh for fucks sake' out loud. How fucking dare you, John. This is the final straw.

Edited by Dave Grohl

2 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

@The Ghost of Randy Savage whoa, who do you think you are recommending music 'round these parts? You obviously don't pop in here that often. You need to know what this thread is truly for: Gumbo updating us on the records he has on the way, what he paid for said records, which records got damaged in shipment, complaining about said damage, what labels he tries to get free stuff from even though the carrier damaged the record in the first place, trying to get us to join group buys even though they end up being more expensive than buying it yourself, telling us how many CDs he buys and which one is currently in his car, what bands he bothers on FB, which bands ignored him or took too long to get back to them (how dare they have lives), all while going on random tangents with drunken metaphors that make us hit or forehead on the table right after we say 'oh for fucks sake' out loud. How fucking dare you, John. This is the final straw.

awwww you do listen!  I knew you cared.  You were right on the money until the end though.  I don't drink.  I haven't been drunk in....  god, years.  It was my friend Erin's wedding...  they had an open bar, and I re-discovered how incredible white russians are.  So I proceded to drink like, 5 or 6 or 7 in the span of about an hour, because they're just so damn delicious.  I have no idea what the final count was.  Buuuut that was a very bad idea.  I ended up outside on the sidewalk unable to stand up.... had to call my mom to come get me an emergency ride home.  Lost my favorite sunglasses that night.  Never again.  That was so fucking awful.  

Also, just to stay current, my new copy of "In Excelsis" is in my car.  It's awesome.  Titled stamp label and all! 

3 hours ago, Sasan said:

Considering anything that contains cream to be a drink proves that you've never been drinking...good boy!

lol yeah I've never been a big drinker.  I always preferred pot and psychedelics when I was younger.  I love the taste of beer, but I don't drink a lot because it fucks with my blood pressure and makes me feel not-fun.  I don't drink coffee either.  I'm mostly straight-edge...  I just don't like fucking with my mind anymore.  Did that way too much when I was a kid, and I had some issues to face as a result.  I like where my head is now, finally, so I'm good.  I can freak out enough at post-rock on my own, I don't need alcohol or anything else haha.  Life itself is enough! 

So, this was just shown to me.  Pretty sure it hasn't been posted before.  Not sure which of you guys will like it.  It's.... different.  It's heavy, progressive, spacey and soaring, and there's a good deal of electronic accompaniment that keeps it very fresh.  I'm not sure what the hell you'd call it.  There's huge post-rock aspects, but I dont' know that it can simply be called that.  Track 3 is my favorite though, so far... "Black Woods".  Heavy and spacey.  Track 4 is great too because it uses piano that recalls some of the new Seven Mile Journey stuff. 

I feel like if you liked Faltre though you'd really dig this though.  It's just different, and brings a lot of different things together. 

https://eleventhvibration.bandcamp.com/album/illusions-2

Edited by Gumbo72203

10 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I think Gumbo died.

I mean, every breath we take is one less we have left to breathe before our eventual death......

Just busy with school, and nobody else is talking about stuff soooo yeah.  Finally giving Fall of Efrafa some listens!  Inle is pretty damn good, I like it a lot more than Owsla.  I find myself wishing they were just a littttttle more spacey with some delay/reverb guitar work, like adding a couple post-rock leads over the riffs.  Man, that would be badass as shit. 

A band i have never seen anyone post about but is Obscure Sphinx from Poland. They are very cult of luna and julie Christmas sounding. They just put their album for pre order last month and there is a/100 clear and white black unknown amount below. Definitely check them out because they have been my biggest surprise all year. 

LISTEN

https://obscuresphinx.bandcamp.com/album/epitaphs

Pre-order

http://www.obscuresphinx.bigcartel.com

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I mean, every breath we take is one less we have left to breathe before our eventual death......

Just busy with school, and nobody else is talking about stuff soooo yeah.  Finally giving Fall of Efrafa some listens!  Inle is pretty damn good, I like it a lot more than Owsla.  I find myself wishing they were just a littttttle more spacey with some delay/reverb guitar work, like adding a couple post-rock leads over the riffs.  Man, that would be badass as shit. 

No... the music is good the way it is without your meddling

3 hours ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

No... the music is good the way it is without your meddling

Oh it's very good.  Just my personal tastes, some of those riff sections to me were crying for just one extra upper-register guitar lead overdub to send it over the top.  It's very satisfying in my head to hear haha. 

8 hours ago, MayCauseDeath said:

A band i have never seen anyone post about but is Obscure Sphinx from Poland. They are very cult of luna and julie Christmas sounding. They just put their album for pre order last month and there is a/100 clear and white black unknown amount below. Definitely check them out because they have been my biggest surprise all year. 

LISTEN

https://obscuresphinx.bandcamp.com/album/epitaphs

Pre-order

http://www.obscuresphinx.bigcartel.com

Yeah wow the Mariner vibes here are huge.  Good find. 

EDIT:   "Memories Of Falling Down" is fucking AWESOME, holy shit. 

Also, you guys been checking the Caspian setlists for this tour?  They're kinda pulling the jamband card and mixing up the setlists every night :D 

Edited by Gumbo72203

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Remind me to legitimately never look into that group.

So edgy!  haha.  People just post pictures of what we're listening to.... it's basically like Instagram, I guess?  It's supposed to be a buy-sell-trade forum but that aspect doesn't happen as much.  It's more just to talk about post-rock/post-metal and post pictures of what we're listening to/psyched about. 

It's a positive thing, Derek.  Don't be such a curmudgeon bud! 

21 hours ago, Derek™ said:
9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Remind me to legitimately never look into that group.

I joined that group for some reason, checked out for a while,  but never go there because in my notifications there's always "Greg Pitz commented...."

I only sign into FB 2 or 3 times a week anyways - mostly for messages from old high school and college friends, since that is their preferred form of communication. I don't even look at my feed.

3 minutes ago, drds89 said:

I joined that group for some reason, checked out for a while,  but never go there because in my notifications there's always "Greg Pitz commented...."

Yeah....  it is a little bothersome to have like, 19 notifications because people liked a photo and didn't comment, but.... in the grand scheme of things, it's not really anything I'm going to concern myself too much with.  I have other things to spend my energy on worrying about. 

That Obscure Sphinx stuff is damn good though, make sure you guys all listen to that.  Tracks 2 and 3 are absolute monsters. 

I think Don and myself use FB for the same thing: to follow labels, bands, and things of the sort.  I, too, find it annoying when there's constantly 2-3 notifications active from groups or comment threads.  No thanks.  As enticing as it'd be to read about people clicking with albums that've been around for years, or gush about crescendo-core Bandcamp finds, I think I'm good.  More power to you though.

Edited by Derek™

38 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Oh it's very good.  Just my personal tastes, some of those riff sections to me were crying for just one extra upper-register guitar lead overdub to send it over the top.  It's very satisfying in my head to hear haha.

Bite your tongue. Fall Of Efrafa are not a post rock band. They don't follow that boring wankery.

1 hour ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

Bite your tongue. Fall Of Efrafa are not a post rock band. They don't follow that boring wankery.

Def not a post-rock band, obviously.  But like the beginning of "Republic of Heaven" if they had one upper-register melody to follow the chords after they play through it once, even once the vocals started, I think that one little addition could add so much to the song.  I'm hearing it in my head, but it could be my propensity for post-rock to apply that stylistic choice to their framework. 

I like how they split the guitars though for that song, with the one lower guitar keeping the chugging groove going, and then the melody guitar playing the octaves in the middle register.  The middle section of that song with the tom-tom drum part is fucking great though. 

Maybe I just want to hear post-rock leads over everything... haha.  It could very well be that simple! 

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I think Don and myself use FB for the same thing: to follow labels, bands, and things of the sort.  I, too, find it annoying when there's constantly 2-3 notifications active from groups or comment threads.  No thanks.  As enticing as it'd be to read about people clicking with albums that've been around for years, or gush about crescendo-core Bandcamp finds, I think I'm good.  More power to you though.

Yeah I mean...  i'll grant you it is annoying to come home, turn it on, and see 27 new notifications, because most of them are absolutely inconsequential.  I get notifications from some people for everything they do, and I'm too lazy to turn it off haha.  I don't care that Paul updated his cover photo!

I'm still curious about this crescendo-core term...  I never fully understood what types of bands are meant by it, because most post-rock bands make use of what I think of when I hear "post-rock crescendo" which, to me, is the loud dynamic coupled with speed-picked upper-register guitars loaded with reverb and delay.  ITTCT or SMW would be the epitome of my interpretation of that phrase, because the -core suffix implies a harder, more metal-inspired sound, as opposed to a band like, say, Mono, who can be super ambient and delicate and ethereal and then go for their big, noisy speed-picked climaxes. 

24 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I'm up to 27 total, of whom gumbo is one. Every now and then I still in hide a message or two to give myself an anger chuckle.

I figured, I'm skipping past his 75 paragraph responses to every single post here as is, I may as well just clean it up for good.  Just sick of the ramblings of what sounds like a high-schooler.  

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Def not a post-rock band, obviously.  But like the beginning of "Republic of Heaven" if they had one upper-register melody to follow the chords after they play through it once, even once the vocals started, I think that one little addition could add so much to the song.  I'm hearing it in my head, but it could be my propensity for post-rock to apply that stylistic choice to their framework. 

I like how they split the guitars though for that song, with the one lower guitar keeping the chugging groove going, and then the melody guitar playing the octaves in the middle register.  The middle section of that song with the tom-tom drum part is fucking great though. 

Maybe I just want to hear post-rock leads over everything... haha.  It could very well be that simple!

You are... that's why I said they are not a Post Rock band.

• jhulud locked this topic