Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

10 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

A taste of that new Junius. Prob old news.

start clip at 2:47:40

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088s25n

2:46:39

That guy talking into the song all the time is so annoying...

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Solid song, i really liked the keyboard stuff at the beginning.  I wish we had another tune or 2 to preview, because $28 for a single LP is a lot to drop blindly... 

The keyboard stuff is THE ONE part that annoys me so hard!

5 hours ago, Sasan said:

2:46:39

That guy talking into the song all the time is so annoying...

The keyboard stuff is THE ONE part that annoys me so hard!

Hahaha is it because the guy talks over it, or do you not like that part of the song?

Also, unrelated........  how long would you guys wait to file a claim on Paypal over an un-delivered item on Discogs?  I bought a copy of Callisto's "Noir" on CD from a dude in Finland that was marked shipped 23 days ago.  I've just never had it take this long for something to come overseas, and he doesn't reply to messages...   just not sure when it becomes okay to start taking action. 

I believe you have 45 days to file a dispute.  Get the ball rolling and let him know what's up, and give him until day 40 or so.  That's what I'd do.  I have an order or two on some stuff that's at the 30-mark right now.  Both from overseas, so we'll see how it goes.

After the countdown travesty that was Mogwai's "big announcement" this past Monday, I'm definitely investing a little less hope this time around... but, it looks like Sigur Rós have some big news to drop on Monday.  They posted a 3-second trailer of their distorted faces with the caption "Monday".  Not making a thread in advance but strongly suspect we're getting a single or news on a new release, finally.  All their tour dates have [presumably] been announced and a new release dropped right before their world tour would make a good bit of sense.  I guess we'll see.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I believe you have 45 days to file a dispute.  Get the ball rolling and let him know what's up, and give him until day 40 or so.  That's what I'd do.  I have an order or two on some stuff that's at the 30-mark right now.  Both from overseas, so we'll see how it goes.

After the countdown travesty that was Mogwai's "big announcement" this past Monday, I'm definitely investing a little less hope this time around... but, it looks like Sigur Rós have some big news to drop on Monday.  They posted a 3-second trailer of their distorted faces with the caption "Monday".  Not making a thread in advance but strongly suspect we're getting a single or news on a new release, finally.  All their tour dates have [presumably] been announced and a new release dropped right before their world tour would make a good bit of sense.  I guess we'll see.

Thanks for this.....  I actually now have another situation on my hands. 

I had ordered the Envy/Thursday deluxe triple-gatefold black/silver vinyl edition from Discogs from a dude in Canada.  Package came today, and it's the regular retail edition with black vinyl (not to mention it was packed awfully....  no mailer, just cardboard taped around the record inside a bubble envelope). 

Do I file a paypal claim?  I spent $32 on this, which is double what it costs to buy this new.  In our conversations, I never asked to clarify that the vinyl was black and silver, but he mentioned that it was a limited edition release.... so I assumed it was listed correctly, and that my price was because of it being used/opened. 

I fired him off a message just now, but I don't know how to best approach this.  I don't want to keep this at my expense, that is not happening.  Nor do I want to ship it back at my expense.  I can buy this new at the shop by my g/f for $15. 

::headaches::

37 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Thanks for this.....  I actually now have another situation on my hands. 

I had ordered the Envy/Thursday deluxe triple-gatefold black/silver vinyl edition from Discogs from a dude in Canada.  Package came today, and it's the regular retail edition with black vinyl (not to mention it was packed awfully....  no mailer, just cardboard taped around the record inside a bubble envelope). 

Do I file a paypal claim?  I spent $32 on this, which is double what it costs to buy this new.  In our conversations, I never asked to clarify that the vinyl was black and silver, but he mentioned that it was a limited edition release.... so I assumed it was listed correctly, and that my price was because of it being used/opened. 

I fired him off a message just now, but I don't know how to best approach this.  I don't want to keep this at my expense, that is not happening.  Nor do I want to ship it back at my expense.  I can buy this new at the shop by my g/f for $15. 

::headaches::

That's a little trickier.  Technically he didn't sell what "was advertised", but a lot of sellers don't fully comprehend how to list records under specific variants on Discogs.  If he's chill and you're lucky, a partial refund will be your best bet.

Unless the variant or limited edition feature is explicitly listed in the item's description, you should always shoot the seller a message beforehand, seeking to clarify what they're listing.  I've done this since day 1 of joining Discogs it's cut out so many potential headaches that I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else.  Literally 60% of my inquiries result in the seller realizing they've listed the wrong variant or pressing, or don't even have the record on hand any longer.  It truly pays off even if it adds a few extra days to the sale process.

58 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

That's a little trickier.  Technically he didn't sell what "was advertised", but a lot of sellers don't fully comprehend how to list records under specific variants on Discogs.  If he's chill and you're lucky, a partial refund will be your best bet.

Unless the variant or limited edition feature is explicitly listed in the item's description, you should always shoot the seller a message beforehand, seeking to clarify what they're listing.  I've done this since day 1 of joining Discogs it's cut out so many potential headaches that I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else.  Literally 60% of my inquiries result in the seller realizing they've listed the wrong variant or pressing, or don't even have the record on hand any longer.  It truly pays off even if it adds a few extra days to the sale process.

Arrrgh.  Yeah....   he was referencing it being a limited, rare press in our conversations but I never specifically asked if the vinyl itself was black and silver.  It just seemed implied because he seemed to know what he was talking about. 

I mean, there are copies of this for $6.99......   If he's cool with paypaling me $25 I'd settle, I guess.  That gives me some cash to get the one I want, and have a 180g black for sound purposes I suppose. 

10 hours ago, Sasan said:

I'm not sure why this only happens to you all the time...looking in here and on FB, you seem to have problems with every single order...

Thank God I've sold you a record before this streak started...

You're in the Post-Rock group too?  haha which one are you?

But yeah man.... I feel like this happens often.  I don't know why.  He hasn't refunded the money yet so it's not completely resolved...   he said he doesn't think there is a total mix-up, because the listing I provided doesn't mention Japanese lyrics or a poster.  Yet the descriptions clearly state that the retail version is a black record, and regular jacket, not the triple-gatefold. 

I sent the Noir guy another message; it's been 4 days since my initial contact.  We're at 25 days since it was marked shipped. 

Also still waiting on my copy of Elegeia, which is going on a couple weeks now....  

So what are the opinions on Set and Setting's album? I 've only given it one pass so far, but I liked most of it straight away and want to give it some more listens.

That Junius track sounds good, too - on par to complete the trilogy - and I am not familiar with the book referenced as the inspiration for this one. (I was familiar with catastrophism and Velichovsky, and have always had a bent towards theology and medical near-death experience literate re: Reports).

The article referenced "Chino-esque" vocals from Joe, which I think is interesting, but didn't seem too far off from his usual style.

2 hours ago, drds89 said:

So what are the opinions on Set and Setting's album? I 've only given it one pass so far, but I liked most of it straight away and want to give it some more listens.

That Junius track sounds good, too - on par to complete the trilogy - and I am not familiar with the book referenced as the inspiration for this one. (I was familiar with catastrophism and Velichovsky, and have always had a bent towards theology and medical near-death experience literate re: Reports).

The article referenced "Chino-esque" vocals from Joe, which I think is interesting, but didn't seem too far off from his usual style.

Set and Setting is really good. Took me a few listens to get there. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Dunk variant. 

The Junius track was also good but I don't feel confident enough to pre-order. Still waiting for a few more tracks to be released.

On another note, what are your guys' take on the Malammar album? It didn't really get my attention last year when it was released but got to listen to this bad boy a few times during this weekend and find it pretty good. Lots of sludgy and doomy riffs if you're into that kind of stuff.

9 hours ago, drds89 said:

I actually love the new album.  Not sure whether I like it more than the older stuff, because I think Spiraling Uncertainties -> Fear of Obtainment is my favorite segment of theirs (if anybody has a copy of that album they could part with.....) but Saudade is a close 2nd because of that lead melody that comes in after the intro riff.  It's so good. 

So excited to see these guys at Dunk. 

22 hours ago, drds89 said:

I'm definitely impressed by the new Set And Setting, it's very solid, recorded and mixed very well, the two drummers work great and make the whole thing sound very powerfull and pummelling along with those big guitar riffs. I really like the quiet parts as well.

I hear a bunch of influences on this album, from post rock to post metal, to blastbeats and a kind of stoner/doom vibe also, everything mixed very well.

For me this is definitely a bunch of steps ahead their previous releases, which I enjoy as well, expecially A Vivid Memory but this simply so much better for me.

20 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

On another note, what are your guys' take on the Malammar album? It didn't really get my attention last year when it was released but got to listen to this bad boy a few times during this weekend and find it pretty good. Lots of sludgy and doomy riffs if you're into that kind of stuff.

The new Malammar is another record which I'm digging a lot lately. So big, so heavy, so rough. Three piece instrumental doom/sludge with punk, crust influences. 180g, vinyl sounds super cool.

On 1/29/2017 at 2:41 PM, drds89 said:

I've listened to this twice now & just can't get into it at all.  "Saudade" is decent, but is the only track that did anything for me.  More often than not I was getting a "Show Me A Dinosaur" vibe that went absolutely nowhere unfortunately.  Songs like "Specular Wavefront Of" drive me crazy lol.  5 minutes of "build, build, build..." just to come to a screeching hault & not even seamlessly transition into the next song.  Post-rock "blue balls" to put it elegantly haha.

And  I actually thought the production here was really really muddy, too.  I can handle raw/muddy production if the songs have substance.  Take "Native Daughters" for example.  It works really well there.

Sorry for  being the wet blanket!

Any other recently released post-rock out there?  So far I've only had Glories to enjoy in January.  I've tried searching through Bandcamp a bit but it seems like every band there tags themselves with post-rock so it's hard to weed through it.

So, I'm glad I learned my lesson....  someone else had the black/silver Envy/Thursday split listed on discogs....  for a little bit cheaper this time!  I asked them to double check, and lo and behold, theirs was listed wrong as well!  What is wrong with people!?  Are incorrect listings this common?  This girl had the bronze/black variant.....

Do people just not know what they have?  Or don't take time to clarify what they're listing it under?  The heading is very clear that it's the silver/black edition haha. 

• jhulud locked this topic