Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

9 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

One of the benefits of being sick and bed-ridden most of the day is that music consumption goes way up.  I don't know if these guys count for post-whatever, but I say they do because of their post-rock peaks, but do you guys like The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die?  I just discovered these guys on a lark, and holy cow.... this is some quite impressive stuff.  Plus, judging from my comparisons on their wikipedia page in regards to song-lengths and their live session videos, it seems they do in fact improvise a little bit and jam into songs.  Very cool.  Loving this right now.  

I've tried getting into these guys but I find them more on the emo spectrum than post-rock.  Kind of like Prawn (but I dig Prawn).  TWIABP has their moments but overall I just can't get into them.

1 minute ago, mrewest said:

I've tried getting into these guys but I find them more on the emo spectrum than post-rock.  Kind of like Prawn (but I dig Prawn).  TWIABP has their moments but overall I just can't get into them.

Agreed. I love me some emo and post-rock, but these guys just don't do it for me. They have some good songs, but I find most really boring.

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

I fucking hate this band so much. I've seen them live and they were fucking awful, too.

4 hours ago, mrewest said:

I know this band was posted at some point early on in this thread, but because of an IG suggestion, I finally gave it a listen.  Holy shit this album is good.

http://lauraisnotaband.bandcamp.com/album/radio-swan-is-down

Guacamole this is scary, Evan!!! I was going to post #FF that I had listened to Radio Swan Is Down at least 3 times this week and was going to recommend folks here revisiting that album (or for those who had not heard of Laura)!  Album definitely worth of wax and I would buy in a heartbeat. 

I love so many AUS  and NZ bands...so, since Evan most astutely pointed folks to Laura, here's another oldie to revisit - it has so many varied textures in the universe of postrock. My favorite track is Kip Keino, I think because of the samples, and I was a youngster when that was going down / nostalgia factor. It's a cool story to check out if you like track and field. Having the Olympics right now makes it a timely listen as well.

hazards of swimming naked - our lines are down

Dumbsaint is another AUS postrock/metal band (instrumental trio) that started off with an ISIS flavor to my ears, but they combine cinematics with all of their releases. They have a bit of a dark or 'disturbing' edge to their pscyhe, even moreso than Tangled Thoughts Of Leaving. Their latest is really quite a piece of work that I got a Test Press for. But here is a popular video from Dumbsaint's first in 2012.

Dumbsaint - Don't Forget To Bring The Sky Down

On 8/18/2016 at 2:57 PM, coreystevens88 said:

Looking forward to new Mustard Gas & Roses.  I guess Mylene Sheath will have preorders soon

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/mustard-gas-and-roses-interview-premiere

I liked that track, it reminded me a lot of "In The Absence of Truth" -era Isis.  The vocals are different, probably going to take some getting used to.  But I liked that song, really want to hear more from this album.  

More music discoveries:

Temples, a post-rock band from Utah.  What I'm finding I like about these guys is that they play fast.  A lot of their material is in the higher energy spectrum.  They remind me of Caspian at times, the way they groove and the way the guitars are just so thick and soupy.  They're not quite so melodically rich as Caspian, though.   

https://templesmusic1.bandcamp.com/track/frostwork

https://templesmusic1.bandcamp.com/track/youth-2

More music discoveries:

Temples, a post-rock band from Utah.  What I'm finding I like about these guys is that they play fast.  A lot of their material is in the higher energy spectrum.  They remind me of Caspian at times, the way they groove and the way the guitars are just so thick and soupy.  They're not quite so melodically rich as Caspian, though.   

https://templesmusic1.bandcamp.com/track/frostwork

https://templesmusic1.bandcamp.com/track/elysium  - this song is fucking CRAZY.  This, and "Owl" from Youth seem to be my favorites so far.  

Edited by Gumbo72203

It seems that Caspian played a new song called Castles High, Marble Bright last night in Hannover. Phillip posted this setlist:

~Hannover~

Dust and Disquiet
Quovis
Further Up 
Further In
Gone In Bloom and Bough
Arcs of Command
Sad Heart of Mine
Ghosts of the Garden City
Rioseco
Darkfield
The Raven
Castles High, Marble Bright

3 hours ago, fizio59 said:

It seems that Caspian played a new song called Castles High, Marble Bright last night in Hannover. Phillip posted this setlist:

~Hannover~

Dust and Disquiet
Quovis
Further Up 
Further In
Gone In Bloom and Bough
Arcs of Command
Sad Heart of Mine
Rioseco
Darkfield
The Raven

whaaaaat the fuuuuuuuck mannnnnn!!!!!   D&D OPENER?  And then the trinity?  AND SAD HEART OF MINE!?!  fucking hell, man.  I hope they keep this setlist for the fall here.  

Glad to see Halls of the Summer and Fire Made Flesh taking a seat finally.  Fantastic, amazing songs of course.  But it's time to let some other stuff shine.  

9 hours ago, fizio59 said:

~Hannover~

Dust and Disquiet
Quovis
Further Up 
Further In
Gone In Bloom and Bough
Arcs of Command
Sad Heart of Mine
Rioseco
Darkfield
The Raven

Looks way better than the ridiculous 40-minutes set they played when I saw them the last time...

Edited by Sasan

4 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

I'd need a few more but God damn that's close. And a new song as a closer is an amazing idea. 

Realistically, just add Malacoda in there and I'm good.  I'd really also want Moksha and Loft, but then we're getting a little ridiculous.  But I'm telling you though....  these guys should start doing true headline shows where they do 2 sets.  Take a 15-20 minute break...  rest up....  and then come back and slay again.  It would give the audience the chance to really hear everything.  Because all of their songs are stage-worthy, and it would truly place them at the peak of the post-rock world.  

If Sigur Ros can do it now, Caspian can do it.  

14 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Glad to see Halls of the Summer and Fire Made Flesh taking a seat finally.  Fantastic, amazing songs of course.  But it's time to let some other stuff shine.  

I really love watching Phil go ape shit during Halls of the Summer, though. He seems to realllly feel that song a lot. I love it.

1 hour ago, The Butcha said:

I really love watching Phil go ape shit during Halls of the Summer, though. He seems to realllly feel that song a lot. I love it.

yeahhhhh i knowwwwww, me too.  And the song IS fucking awesome.  BUT, if they did 2-set shows.... this wouldn't be an issue!  They could keep it in rotation!  And still have room for everything else.

• jhulud locked this topic