Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

On 9/1/2016 at 10:27 PM, afterosmosis said:

VC newb here, I was pointed this direction by @dustanddisquiet over on Instagram after admiring his ridiculous Caspian collection.  I'm just starting to hunt down some TWDY and Caspian vinyl and he said this was the place to be.

Welcome aboard man!  This place will make you lose lots of your money.  But you will gain many musics.  

2 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

heading down to the Gates/Athletics/Vasudeva/Rare Futures show now!  

It sucks being the only one in your friend group who likes post-rock, and likes driving lots of miles for music.  Boston for GIAA on Wednesday, now NYC for Gates.... oi.

I still can't get over how damn good that lineup is. I would pay full price to see each one of those bands individually. Bet it'll be fun as hell!

18 hours ago, deer said:

I still can't get over how damn good that lineup is. I would pay full price to see each one of those bands individually. Bet it'll be fun as hell!

It was fucking incredible, man.  Every band slayed.  Rare Futures was the most interesting of all.  So many different elements coming together.  I wasn't feeling so great during their set which was a bummer, and kept me from sinking in as much as I wished I could have.  

Random Crazy Thing From Last Night:   Talked to some chick before Athletics set, about how they haven't played in forever, how rare their stuff is.... I mentioned I've been trying to get their vinyl for a while and it never pops up.  Convo ends, we part.  Then, after their set, she randomly yanks on my shirt, and points to this dude next to her and goes "HEY, THIS IS THE KID!"  And the dude introduces himself, and it's Dan from Intheclouds Records.  He pulls out both Athletics full-lengths from his backpack, and he's like "Merry Christmas, these are for you."  The girl is like "Yeah we wanted to make sure these went to someone who really wanted them."

So.  I have both Athletics albums now.  No jackets, and the records are kinda dirty because they were a little drunk and one fell out of the paper sleeve onto the floor lol but...  hell, I have it.  One is the clear with splatter, and the other is the cup 'o joe variant.  Super random haha.  

On September 4, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

It was fucking incredible, man.  Every band slayed.  Rare Futures was the most interesting of all.  So many different elements coming together.  I wasn't feeling so great during their set which was a bummer, and kept me from sinking in as much as I wished I could have.  

Random Crazy Thing From Last Night:   Talked to some chick before Athletics set, about how they haven't played in forever, how rare their stuff is.... I mentioned I've been trying to get their vinyl for a while and it never pops up.  Convo ends, we part.  Then, after their set, she randomly yanks on my shirt, and points to this dude next to her and goes "HEY, THIS IS THE KID!"  And the dude introduces himself, and it's Dan from Intheclouds Records.  He pulls out both Athletics full-lengths from his backpack, and he's like "Merry Christmas, these are for you."  The girl is like "Yeah we wanted to make sure these went to someone who really wanted them."

So.  I have both Athletics albums now.  No jackets, and the records are kinda dirty because they were a little drunk and one fell out of the paper sleeve onto the floor lol but...  hell, I have it.  One is the clear with splatter, and the other is the cup 'o joe variant.  Super random haha.  

Dan @ ITC is the man.  Awesome story, Gumbo!  Some damn fine freebies right there.

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

Dan @ ITC is the man.  Awesome story, Gumbo!  Some damn fine freebies right there.

Haha yeah, I couldn't believe it.  I feel kind of bad because at the show, I wasn't feeling very well (still dealing with lots of issues from having coxsackie virus) and especially during Rare Futures set I was feeling really bad, and he kept coming up behind me half-hugging me and flipping out over the music, and I just couldn't really reciprocate the excitement.  He was pretty lit though so I'm sure it doesn't matter and he didn't really notice haha.  

I played "Why Aren't I Home" last night though, and holy fucking christ, that record sounds absolutely incredible.  Even with the increased surface noise due to the record being just housed in a paper sleeve in his backpack and not completely sealed/stored properly, the sound is so awesome.  I cleaned it as best I could, but these are going to have to get run through a VPI before they're really as good as they can be.  WYAINE will be the real test though because during their set, I had looked over and saw the girl I first talked to holding some records, which I assumed she bought.  I was like "why does she have them out of the jacket?"  It looked like maybe she was showing her friend (Dan) them or something, but then one of them fell out of the paper sleeve and onto the floor of the club, and I was like "oh man, that sucks.... this floor must be awful."  Turned out that those were the Athletics records I ended up with haha, and it was WYAINE that fell on the floor.  Haha, oh well.  

I also bought a copy of the Gates 7" (the song "Captive") which unfortunately sounds like fucking shit.  It's covered in abrasions and surface scratches which I'm sure is playing a part, but the left channel is one big wall of noise, even after cleaning.  And towards the end of the song, there's just a ton of distortion present, especially on Kevin's vocals.  Which is a bummer, because that song became a favorite of mine after them having played it.  It's such a monster, live.  

Athletics set-list:

Intro/Opener Thingy That Zach Wrote

Why Aren't I Home?

III

Jordan

When To Run

Where To Hide 

The Cost Of Living

Gates setlist:

Habit

Walls

The Thing That Would Save You

Eyes

Shiver

Empty Canvas

Low

Captive

Penny

Left Behind

Fade

To Those Who Fell....and To Those Who Carry On

At The End of All Things

Sleepwalker

......and from last Wednesday's GIAA show in Boston:

Beautiful Decay

Pig Powder

Echoes

Snowfall

Vetus Memoria

Worlds In Collison

Helios | Erebus

From Dust To The Beyond

Fragile

Centralia

Forever Lost

Agneya

Encore:

Red Moon Lagoon

Suicide By Star

They had Zodiac listed on the setlist as a bonus but they didn't end up playing that, they ended with Suicide By Star.  They had Red Moon and Suicide listed as "Encore 1".  Oh well, their set fucking killed.  Such a great live band.  Can't wait to see those guys again.   

5 hours ago, drds89 said:

Post Rock Is Dead

I want one.

(UpC DownC have some brilliant stuff and soso stuff, but nothing unlistenable.)

It's true. 2016 killed post rock as far as growth / originality / momentum / hype. Sigh.

Kokomo

ITTCT

Hammock

pg.lost

Russian Circles was the only redeeming post rock album of the year for me so far. Hoping Mono, Lavinia, and Giants redeem my monumental disappointment.

I agree with nothing (other than RC) really blowing me away this year this far (although Coastlands is really good).  I guess I could count Obsidian Kingdom here but that one is hard to classify.  Not really post-anything, although they dabble in it.  But that one has still held up well for me.

I'm still riding the Unconditional Arms hype train.  No clue when that'll come out but a full length from them will NOT disappoint.

Edited by mrewest

• jhulud locked this topic