Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

MGR - Becoming is up for preorder via Mylene Sheath.

http://www.mylenesheath.com/pg/preorders

Ay33lME.jpg

Three different presses available, plus /25 test press with hand screened cover still available.

I grabbed the orange/pilsner swirl, excited to hear Mike G. with a full band.

Edited by coreystevens88

5 hours ago, mrewest said:

I agree with nothing (other than RC) really blowing me away this year this far (although Coastlands is really good).  I guess I could count Obsidian Kingdom here but that one is hard to classify.  Not really post-anything, although they dabble in it.  But that one has still held up well for me.

I'm still riding the Unconditional Arms hype train.  No clue when that'll come out but a full length from them will NOT disappoint.

Caught some of Coastlands set last night and besides ITTCT they were by far the best of the 4 bands.

5 hours ago, mrewest said:

I agree with nothing (other than RC) really blowing me away this year this far (although Coastlands is really good).  I guess I could count Obsidian Kingdom here but that one is hard to classify.  Not really post-anything, although they dabble in it.  But that one has still held up well for me.

I'm still riding the Unconditional Arms hype train.  No clue when that'll come out but a full length from them will NOT disappoint.

Caught some of Coastlands set last night and besides ITTCT they were by far the best of the 4 bands.

1 hour ago, shamrocks said:

i know the Yndi Halda is pretty formulaic, but the formula works.  I really like  "Under Summer"

Wait, how?  Their latest album incorporates vocals, strings, and sprawling structures like no other "instrumental" record I've heard this year.  I'd agree that post-rock, as a whole, has more or less died out years ago... but Under Summer is pretty fresh as far as originality goes.

39 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Wait, how?  Their latest album incorporates vocals, strings, and sprawling structures like no other "instrumental" record I've heard this year.  I'd agree that post-rock, as a whole, has more or less died out years ago... but Under Summer is pretty fresh as far as originality goes.

100% agree. Under Summer is damn near a weekly listen for me. So good.

2 hours ago, The Butcha said:

100% agree. Under Summer is damn near a weekly listen for me. So good.

You know what's up.  Once it clicks – really clicks – that album is way too wholesome and brimming with memorable moments to set down.  It was a daily listen for me for a few weeks and that's unheard of as far as new releases are concerned, on my end.

9 hours ago, shamrocks said:

ok good, with all the "post rock is dead" and "no good post rock albums" i was concerned

My "Post-Rock died years ago" rather meant there's nothing innovative coming. Everything has been heard before...on the other hand, this doesnt mean there are no good PR albums...at least IMO

9 hours ago, shamrocks said:

ok good, with all the "post rock is dead" and "no good post rock albums" i was concerned

My "Post-Rock died years ago" rather meant there's nothing innovative coming. Everything has been heard before...on the other hand, this doesnt mean there are no good PR albums...at least IMO

On 9/1/2016 at 10:27 PM, afterosmosis said:

VC newb here, I was pointed this direction by @dustanddisquiet over on Instagram after admiring his ridiculous Caspian collection.  I'm just starting to hunt down some TWDY and Caspian vinyl and he said this was the place to be.

I've been waiting for you - @dustanddisquiet will testify to this :)  hope I can help you out. Check yer PM box.

Can't wait for Gumbo to critique Yndi Halda and tell us why they don't really work, or what they're lacking in production.  Not to sound too jaded but I find that I typically disagree with Gumbo on about 98% of all things music related, so I do have my reservations with him checking out Yndi.  Really looking forward to "Enjoy Eternal Bliss is pretty good, but cymbals could be a little shinier and the bass could be brought further into the mix.  I also feel like the incorporation of strings and guitar is kind of generic" – despite the album being 10 years old.  Calling it in advance.  At the very least, I guess he can breathe easy knowing that the CDs are readily available for cheap on Discogs.

On September 10, 2016 at 5:47 AM, Sasan said:

Yup, basically this.  A lot of the "classic" post-rock albums have aged well over the years for me, and still see regular play.  (Godspeed, earlier Mogwai, etc.)  To assume that a comment like "post-rock is dead" means that everything associated with the genre - new and old - is down the drain... I don't know; that strikes me as pretty silly.  There's a reason those bands and albums are still discussed and referenced today, and can still retain their replayability even when 90% of modern post-rock releases all sound super generic.

18 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Can't wait for Gumbo to critique Yndi Halda and tell us why they don't really work, or what they're lacking in production.  Not to sound too jaded but I find that I typically disagree with Gumbo on about 98% of all things music related, so I do have my reservations with him checking out Yndi.  Really looking forward to "Enjoy Eternal Bliss is pretty good, but cymbals could be a little shinier and the bass could be brought further into the mix.  I also feel like the incorporation of strings and guitar is kind of generic" – despite the album being 10 years old.  Calling it in advance.  At the very least, I guess he can breathe easy knowing that the CDs are readily available for cheap on Discogs.

lol you're such a curmudgeon!  Throwing it on now...  this is interesting stuff!  Its like...  a less ethereal, more rock-based version of Godspeed?  Sort of?  

oO this first song is getting pretty peak-y.  I like it.  I may have words about the production, but for now I'm going to assume Youtube's shitty compression isn't giving me the full spectrum :P    I can hear the compression in the cymbals, especially in the peak when they're hammering away on the crash cymbals.  Mp3 compression always makes cymbals have this like, sloshy/warbly sort of sound.  They lose their sharpness because of the high frequencies getting chopped off.  It's just a distinctive sound you learn to recognize if you're used to hearing FLACs and .wav files.  

Regardless, this is pretty damn good.  I bet this stuff absolutely KILLS live, also.  

Edited by Gumbo72203

14 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

lol you're such a curmudgeon!  Throwing it on now...  this is interesting stuff!  Its like...  a less ethereal, more rock-based version of Godspeed?  Sort of?  

oO this first song is getting pretty peak-y.  I like it.  I may have words about the production, but for now I'm going to assume Youtube's shitty compression isn't giving me the full spectrum :P    I can hear the compression in the cymbals, especially in the peak when they're hammering away on the crash cymbals.  Mp3 compression always makes cymbals have this like, sloshy/warbly sort of sound.  They lose their sharpness because of the high frequencies getting chopped off.  It's just a distinctive sound you learn to recognize if you're used to hearing FLACs and .wav files.  

Regardless, this is pretty damn good.  I bet this stuff absolutely KILLS live, also.  

Joking aside, I would be eager to hear your thoughts on the full record if you wrap up a complete listen.

I will also chime in with Under Summer really surpassed my expectations. Still a regular spin for me as well and one of my favorite records of the year.

I also am kind of on the side of @Sasan it's not that there is nothing coming out anymore, but for a genre built on innovation it seems to have run its course and started to homogenize. It all started on using rock instruments but looking for influences outside rock music and has turned into pretty music that goes soft>loud>soft>loud. At one point Tortoise, Gastr Del Sol, Rachel's, The Dirty Three, Mogwai, Godspeed, Long Fin Killie, and Slint were all described as post-rock and really the only thing those bands share (save for being predominantly instrumental) is they were pushing the boundaries of what rock music can be. I still find newer bands I enjoy (*shels, deadhorse, toe) but I would like to see a larger variety in style and instruments used

• jhulud locked this topic