Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

8 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

See, Russia DOES know how to mix and master properly and not have their drums sound like a wooden spoon in a home depot bucket.

GENA

atmospheric, drone, noise, post-metal, PR elements

Enjoyed this all the way through. Nice find, Charlie. Ides of Gemini /Black Mare (Sera Timms) and Esben & The Witch fans will definitely dig this.

Also some CW and ERR followers will probably enjoy, too. (That high hat, though, still some work to do in your homeland on the percussion, though strides have definitely been made...not trying to sound Gumbo-ish or anything ;) )

See, Russia DOES know how to mix and master properly and not have their drums sound like a wooden spoon in a home depot bucket.

GENA

double post

Edited by drds89
double post

GENA

triple post - almost an inside the park home run!

Edited by drds89
Here, discogs, everywhere...double posting! China or Russia?

On 9/9/2016 at 4:21 PM, Derek™ said:

Wait, how?  Their latest album incorporates vocals, strings, and sprawling structures like no other "instrumental" record I've heard this year.  I'd agree that post-rock, as a whole, has more or less died out years ago... but Under Summer is pretty fresh as far as originality goes.

Yeah I gave Under Summer a bit of a listen yesterday.  Haven't really had time to make it through the entirety of either of their albums yet.  I don't know if the comparison holds weight, but Under Summer made me think of Immanu El a bit.  Gentle post-rock kind of music with ethereal vocals.  Trying to finish "Enjoy Eternal Bliss" as I woke up super early this morning and can't fall back asleep...  my shit is all fucked up right now.  Take care of yourselves guys, you never know when your health will betray you.  Even if you do exercise regularly and try to eat right and be healthy.  

Anyway, I really liked how in the opening track, they saved the vocals for the end.  It definitely made for a concrete destination-al climax to the song.  Working my way into the 2nd track now, and the Godspeed influence definitely seems more prominent for me.  Slow build with the focus on the violin over top everything else.  I find Godspeed to still be more powerful, but I see the appeal in this.  And I bet it sounds absolutely gorgeous on vinyl.  I kinda wish they had a cello too, because I feel like during the climax of this 2nd tune, having the lower-register string doing some longer sustained bowed notes under the busier upper register stuff would be fucking sick.  

On a completely different note, do you guys think Explosions is worth $40 to see?  They're playing this crazy huge art festival thing in Hudson, NY on Saturday, and I've got stuff to do up until 8:30 or so, and they go on at 11.... so I'd be missing just about everybody else (music starts at 5).  Don't know how long their set will be, if it will vary from their regular date performances.... but I really would like to see them at some point, and this is the most feasible for me logistically.  

I've done a poor job of keeping up on new suggestions lately, so apologies in advance if this was mentioned already.

Native Daughters:  Solid post-metal FFO Pet Slimmers, Audrey Fall, I Built the Sky.  Nice riff-heavy action.

https://nativedaughters.bandcamp.com/album/master-manipulator

Edited by mrewest

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

On a completely different note, do you guys think Explosions is worth $40 to see?  They're playing this crazy huge art festival thing in Hudson, NY on Saturday, and I've got stuff to do up until 8:30 or so, and they go on at 11.... so I'd be missing just about everybody else (music starts at 5).  Don't know how long their set will be, if it will vary from their regular date performances.... but I really would like to see them at some point, and this is the most feasible for me logistically.  

I saw them in Chicago last week and it was $40 for just them. Played about an hour and a half. 

Some well-known bands with new releases:

Signal Hill (instrumental mellow postrock with vibes / FFO The Mercury Program): Alturas with /250 Black 175gm vinyl (not 180gm ? haha), two nice tracks streaming:

Signal Hill: Arturas out September 23

Jardin De La Croix (Spanish instrumental mathy postrock group; this is a heavier, high energy track with some metal elements/ FFO Vasudeva, Te' etc): no vinyl listed

Jardin De La Croix: Intermareals out mid October

Esben And The Witch (see Charlie's post above, now living in Berlin. Releasing via Season of Mist in collab with Nosotromo Records - 4 tracks, 44 minutes. I want to hear this first. Nothing out there yet that I am aware of...Steve Albini did their last album: A New Nature). Release date in November

Esben And The Witch: Older Terrors...... going to be $$ but a quality product no doubt, and signed fwiw

54 minutes ago, drds89 said:

Signal Hill (instrumental mellow postrock with vibes / FFO The Mercury Program): Alturas with /250 Black 175gm vinyl (not 180gm ? haha), two nice tracks streaming:

Jardin De La Croix (Spanish instrumental mathy postrock group; this is a heavier, high energy track with some metal elements/ FFO Vasudeva, Te' etc): no vinyl listed

Esben And The Witch (see Charlie's post above, now living in Berlin. Releasing via Season of Mist in collab with Nosotromo Records - 4 tracks, 44 minutes. I want to hear this first. Nothing out there yet that I am aware of...Steve Albini did their last album: A New Nature). Release date in November

Esben And The Witch: Older Terrors...... going to be $$ but a quality product no doubt, and signed fwiw

EATW is fantastic. Stoked for the new album. It'd be cool if a US distro picks it up so I don't have to pay EU shipping.

New Nature is a great album. I've been meaning to grab it, but haven't come across a 'this is cheap, finally grab it' listing yet. I'm a sucker for anything Albini.

54 minutes ago, drds89 said:

EATW is fantastic. Stoked for the new album. It'd be cool if a US distro picks it up so I don't have to pay EU shipping.

New Nature is a great album. I've been meaning to grab it, but haven't come across a 'this is cheap, finally grab it' listing yet. I'm a sucker for anything Albini.

17 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

When it was being released, their yellow/signed copies were cheap from their personal site and Picadilly, but the shipping was killer.

Amazon has copies now - most likely black $23.99ppd or less.

edit: forgot they did a Pledge thing - probably can still get Rachel's bass if you want, just shoot them an email ;)

Pledgemusic

Edited by drds89
New, vitally important information for the well-being of the vinyl community!!!

Did you guys see the Kokomo tape box?  It looks pretty cool... I wish I had a tape deck that sounded good.  http://kokomoband.bigcartel.com/product/cassette-tape-set

Also, new Seven Mile Journey track...  totally forgot about this band until it popped into my FB feed last week.  Their demo material is still my favorite, I think.  

28 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Did you guys see the Kokomo tape box?  It looks pretty cool... I wish I had a tape deck that sounded good.  http://kokomoband.bigcartel.com/product/cassette-tape-set

No such thing as a good sounding tape deck. Cassettes are stupid. Especially when it's $54 for a few tapes in a wooden box.

No such thing as a good sounding tape deck. Cassettes are stupid. Especially when it's $54 for a few tapes in a wooden box.

On 9/20/2016 at 2:03 PM, Dave Grohl said:

Matt, I thought we already covered this! Of course there is loss of sound quality. "Is it Live, or is it Memorex?" (wine glass shatters in the background)

These are collector items, fund raisers to support the band and nostalgia trinkets. And when I'm in another room doing whatever, and don't feel like turning Under Summer over 3 times, the cassette does just fine with autoreverse.

I would LOVE to see your tape deck/dubbing setup and car stereo :) had you been alive in the 70's and 80's when CS were our portable music, emancipating ourselves from the radio DJs.

On 22.9.2016 at 4:58 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

I think some cassettes sound fabulous, but it's usually only just older, obscure death metal stuff.  Something about the supremely overdriven guitars just works so well with the squash that the tape puts on the sound.  It's fucking glorious to my ears. 

I think they recorded clean guitars originally...it's only the sound quality of tapes turning it into supremely overdriven ones!

I loved cassettes when I was a child...we had so much fun and spent so much time listening, recording, "cutting" stuff...

cassette-tape-and-pencil-li.jpg

Edited by Sasan

Hey everybody long time post rock/post metal thread lurker first time poster. I'll admit I'm terrible with genre definitions so I'm just going to apologise straight off the bat if this is not post rock enough to be here but I stumbled across this band the other day and they absolutely blew my mind. Definitely on the metal/hardcore side of the genre but the more mellow atmospheric moments have definite post rock leanings (to my understanding of post rock/post metal at least).

Debut album drops on 4th November through Truthseeker Music Group (Holy Roar's sister label) 100 copies on Frosted Clear  and 150 on November Rain (Transparent Grey).

Anyways feel free to chew me out if this doesn't fit here. Hopefully there's something in it that resonates though....

16 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Hey everybody long time post rock/post metal thread lurker first time poster. I'll admit I'm terrible with genre definitions so I'm just going to apologise straight off the bat if this is not post rock enough to be here but I stumbled across this band the other day and they absolutely blew my mind. Definitely on the metal/hardcore side of the genre but the more mellow atmospheric moments have definite post rock leanings (to my understanding of post rock/post metal at least).

Debut album drops on 4th November through Truthseeker Music Group (Holy Roar's sister label) 100 copies on Frosted Clear  and 150 on November Rain (Transparent Grey).

Anyways feel free to chew me out if this doesn't fit here. Hopefully there's something in it that resonates though....

This is right up my alley. Thanks for the rec, brother. Welcome.

20 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

There's a lot to like here. Very Sun Bather era Deafheaven ( I spelled that wrong). The vocals don't do it for me but musically its very interesting and melodic. Its probably me getting old....

2 minutes ago, Monastic_mike said:

There's a lot to like here. Very Sun Bather era Deafheaven ( I spelled that wrong). The vocals don't do it for me but musically its very interesting and melodic. Its probably me getting old....

I totally get where you're coming from. I figured the vocals would be the biggest sticking point for a lot of people. Personally I love all that pained screamo shit but it's definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

• jhulud locked this topic