Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

1 minute ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I totally get where you're coming from. I figured the vocals would be the biggest sticking point for a lot of people. Personally I love all that pained screamo shit but it's definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Absolutely, and 10-15 years ago I would have really really dug this. I may still pick this up. I like the medlodiousnessess

42 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Hey everybody long time post rock/post metal thread lurker first time poster. I'll admit I'm terrible with genre definitions so I'm just going to apologise straight off the bat if this is not post rock enough to be here but I stumbled across this band the other day and they absolutely blew my mind. Definitely on the metal/hardcore side of the genre but the more mellow atmospheric moments have definite post rock leanings (to my understanding of post rock/post metal at least).

Debut album drops on 4th November through Truthseeker Music Group (Holy Roar's sister label) 100 copies on Frosted Clear  and 150 on November Rain (Transparent Grey).

Anyways feel free to chew me out if this doesn't fit here. Hopefully there's something in it that resonates though....

Damn, this is fucking good!  You would probably love Show Me A Dinosaur, they're another blackgaze group like this.  "Gone" is a really good song.  You might also love a band called Arrowhead, they do the post-rock with screamo vocals thing very well IMO.  Their album "A Collection of What You've Lost" is in regular rotation for me.  All the songs are great (Stay, Comatose, etc).  

43 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Damn, this is fucking good!  You would probably love Show Me A Dinosaur, they're another blackgaze group like this.  "Gone" is a really good song.  You might also love a band called Arrowhead, they do the post-rock with screamo vocals thing very well IMO.  Their album "A Collection of What You've Lost" is in regular rotation for me.  All the songs are great (Stay, Comatose, etc).  

I'll give those a sample, thanks for the recommendations.

Edit:
Show Me A Dinosaur are alright in spite of having one of those cringe inducing band names. I feel like the vocals could have more punch but the backing is solid. Arrowhead are pretty tight. Probably give both bands some repeat listens before rushing out and buying anything.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

53 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I'll give those a sample, thanks for the recommendations.

Edit:
Show Me A Dinosaur are alright in spite of having one of those cringe inducing band names. I feel like the vocals could have more punch but the backing is solid. Arrowhead are pretty tight. Probably give both bands some repeat listens before rushing out and buying anything.

yeah SMAD is one of those bands with an abysmal band name whose music I fucking love, just like Pet Slimmers of the Year.  If you like Isis at all, you need to dive headfirst into PSOTY.  But for SMAD, I give them a pass because they're Russian, and in Soviet Russia, rock posts YOU.  

25 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

I cringed so hard. But speaking of Russian blackened post-metal check out Toluca - Darvo.

Heh, I thought I had to reverse the order for maximum effect.  And instead of the show being Shoe and Shoelace, the show is Reverb and Delay Pedal.  

I think I just need to go bed, though. :D

10 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

yeah SMAD is one of those bands with an abysmal band name whose music I fucking love, just like Pet Slimmers of the Year.  If you like Isis at all, you need to dive headfirst into PSOTY.  But for SMAD, I give them a pass because they're Russian, and in Soviet Russia, rock posts YOU.  

I'll give Pet Slimmers Of The Year a listen over the weekend.

On 22.09.2016 at 1:14 AM, drds89 said:

Matt, I thought we already covered this! Of course there is loss of sound quality. "Is it Live, or is it Memorex?" (wine glass shatters in the background)

These are collector items, fund raisers to support the band and nostalgia trinkets. And when I'm in another room doing whatever, and don't feel like turning Under Summer over 3 times, the cassette does just fine with autoreverse.

I would LOVE to see your tape deck/dubbing setup and car stereo :) had you been alive in the 70's and 80's when CS were our portable music, emancipating ourselves from the radio DJs.

I'm totally with Don here. As long as I grew up with music on tapes, I'm not listening to them anymore. What is funny - I often buy them. The reason is exactly as Don pointed it out - tosupport band and just to have them, as they usually are a little pieces of art instead of just boring music media. This box looks awesome and I do think that it is still better to buy such box than another copy of record one already has (whether it's Caspian or Isis) ;)

13 hours ago, mrewest said:

That's it.  I'm buying Matt every Godspeed album on cassette for Christmas.  You're welcome!

I'll play them on my ..... oh shit.

I bought tapes when I was a kid, cause they were cheaper than CDs. So it's not like I've always been anti-cassette. I'm just anti-cassette now cause they are a dead format. It's a nostalgia kick and that's it. They served their purpose, but they are dumb to me as a current format cause it's the equivalent of bringing back 8 tracks.

15 hours ago, seku said:

I'm totally with Don here. As long as I grew up with music on tapes, I'm not listening to them anymore. What is funny - I often buy them. The reason is exactly as Don pointed it out - tosupport band and just to have them, as they usually are a little pieces of art instead of just boring music media. This box looks awesome and I do think that it is still better to buy such box than another copy of record one already has (whether it's Caspian or Isis) ;)

The thing that supports the band the most is seeing them live. Bands really don't get that much from physical media anyway. Labels, and venues take most of the cut of physical products. And what's more appealing with a tape over an LP? Sure, like what you like, but I still think tapes are useless. It's a dead format and it's only back to feed an older audiences' nostalgia kick. So you buy tapes to just have them sit on your shelf and to look at them? I never understood that mentality. Just like the video game nerd who buys video game OSTs who doesn't even have a table to spin them on. Collecting records is already such an ordeal, but buying music for the sake of buying it and not even listening to it? Pointless.

To each their own, so buy what ya want, but I'll always think cassettes are dumb. Squeezing music onto 1/8" of tape which was originally designed to record office dictation... hmmmm. Seems to be pushing the limits  of technology there. But like I said, to each their own. I'll still make fun of you for it. : )

Caspian could release a tape set and I'd still pass in a second. Now if you guys started collecting analog tapes (reels), that's another story. ; )

I mean, I don't blame you guys. I blame that asshole Ray Dolby for making music on a tape cassette a thing. Horrible mass high-speed dup, shitty storage conditions, bad frequency, flat as fuck all, usually no ability to adjust, wear and tear to heads, odds of having a shitty motor in whatever you were using to play them causing inaccuracies, etc.

In conclusion, fuck you, Ray Dolby.

Edited by Dave Grohl

17 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

The thing that supports the band the most is seeing them live. Bands really don't get that much from physical media anyway. Labels, and venues take most of the cut of physical products.

My understanding is the complete reverse. Bands don't make money from the ticket sales but do from the merch sold. Besides, how can the venue make $ off merch if the band sets up the table and sells it themselves? How does the venue keep tabs on cash sales?

At least this is how I justify my t-shirt collection ;)

33 minutes ago, Freki said:

My understanding is the complete reverse. Bands don't make money from the ticket sales but do from the merch sold. Besides, how can the venue make $ off merch if the band sets up the table and sells it themselves? How does the venue keep tabs on cash sales?

At least this is how I justify my t-shirt collection ;)

It really depends on the venue, and if the band is signed to a label or not. From all my years of touring, at least what I've dealt with, bands usually break even with merch costs or if lucky make gas and food money, and live off ticket money. But yeah, it can vary from band to band, venue to venue, and label to label. The venue takes a cut of merch, and ticket sales. The band is using the venue, so the venue gets a cut of everything the band makes. They don't get to set up a merch table for free and sell without a cut (unless it's a non-traditional event). It sucks when a venue can just say 'hey, we are taking 40% of your merch cut' at the end of the night, and you have to comply. I always thought bands got most of their money from merch, too, but from venues stiffing bands, and your merch not guaranteeing to sell, paying out to a merch person if the venue provides one, etc., merch doesn't make as much as you'd think. I still love buying band t-shirts, so I'm right there with you. But yeah, lots of variables. Sometimes yes, most times no. As far as keeping tabs on the cash if the venue doesn't provide someone they'll ask the band how much they made in merch, then deduct that from the pay out. My buddy does merch for Troubadour in LA. He gets a a cut, usually 20% or sometimes a set amount, of whatever the band makes that night. There are some nights where the band does so little in merch that the band gets nothing because it doesn't even cover what he was supposed to get paid; it sucks. But then you have other bands that make $100,000 in merch a show. My buddy did merch for a Blink show the other night and they pulled in $140,000. Insane.

But like I said, tons of variables. So it does vary a lot. It's a shitty business sadly, but every penny counts whether it be a just a ticket, or someone also getting a tshirt, or LP.

* - my experience is with non-signed bands and bands signed to small labels.

Edited by Dave Grohl

Kinda funny... i broke D&D out like last week for the first time in a good bit.  Such a great album.  

On a completely different note, I've been meaning to share this with you guys for a long time, and just keep forgetting to.  A while ago, I stumbled across this Stereogum page of 30 great post-rock songs, and this band i'd never heard of was on there.  And it was one of the few that included a youtube player of the song, so I played it.  This song and the album it's from has had such an impact on me.  It's so god-damn creative.  It's post-rock, for sure, but not "post-rock" with the big speed-picked leads.  It's got more in line with Jakob and Tarentel than anything, in terms of general laid-back mood.  

Just listen.  I think you guys will fucking love this.  

The Seven Mile Journey has a new one out - only listened to one track so far, but dunk! is streaming it on Soundcloud and it's up for preorder. Loving what I've heard so far -- they somehow take simple melodies and turn them into a sum greater than the parts.

Templates For Mimesis PO

Soundcloud Stream

Another pet favorite of mine, Meniscus trio from Australia (quartet if you count the lights/visuals dude) have a new one coming out and one track to check so far; nothing of theirs on vinyl yet:

Meniscus: Refractions

12 hours ago, drds89 said:

The Seven Mile Journey has a new one out - only listened to one track so far, but dunk! is streaming it on Soundcloud and it's up for preorder. Loving what I've heard so far -- they somehow take simple melodies and turn them into a sum greater than the parts.

Templates For Mimesis PO

Soundcloud Stream

Another pet favorite of mine, Meniscus trio from Australia (quartet if you count the lights/visuals dude) have a new one coming out and one track to check so far; nothing of theirs on vinyl yet:

Meniscus: Refractions

The one Seven Mile Journey song I did check out was pretty good... nothing great.  Their demo is still my favorite material of theirs.  However, the new Meniscus track is fucking AWESOME.  The bassline in the beginning is absolutely wonderful.  So simple, but the note choices are perfect.  

I really hope you guys don't skip on that Dilute song, though.  If you like "old" post-rock like Slint and early Mogwai and Tarentel, I think this is right up your alley.  It's so fascinating, because it's got the relaxed, chill atmosphere but it's full of prog-rock qualities like odd meters and shifting accents and just general weird stuff that combines into this sublime whole.

Don't fucking skip it!

1 hour ago, abovetheearth said:

Baulta is using one of my designs for their upcoming tour shirts!

Dude is there any way you can get a copy for me?  I fucking love Baulta, "Any Fool..." is one of my most-played albums.  

....if copy is even the right word for a shirt, haha.  It feels weird saying a copy of a shirt.  

20 hours ago, drds89 said:

For Matt (wish it didn't stop at 2010) :)

vinylgiphy.gif

Yeah, especially since the vinyl market has gone up 700%, in what, the last 4 years or so?

Don't worry, Don, I still have my OG copies of Dookie, Damaged, Nevermind, and Ten on cassette in storage. : )

• jhulud locked this topic