Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

a0318015180_16.jpg

// Castles High, Marble Bright

1) Castles High, Marble Bright | 8:53

2) 127 North | 8:05

https://caspiantheband.bandcamp.com/album/castles-high-marble-bright

"Castles High, Marble Bright” and "127 North" were conceived, written and recorded alongside the collection of songs that would become Dust and Disquiet, an album that we hoped spoke to the dialogue between a newly found, furrow browed melancholy and the fractured but unbroken sense of stubbornly epic, dramatically determined optimism that we've been trying to emulate with our music for 12 years. With the end of this album cycle vaguely coming into sight, "Castles High, Marble Bright” is now our North Star, our way home, and our celebration of the decision to fully embrace the above dialogue head on together and see what comes.

On a bit of a different note, "127 North" is the sound of 6 guys playing in a room together on a Friday afternoon. In some ways the least ambitious thing we've ever committed to tape. Free from the grip of over arrangement, overdubs, click tracks, excessive chin stroking and the like, "127 North" is what a Caspian song sometimes sounds like in its infancy.

Edited by Dave Grohl

TRIPLE CROWN RECORDS:

2 new Caspian songs pressed on limited edition grey 8” vinyl in clear PVC screened jacket.

Includes download card (1,000 pressed)

Track Listing: 
1) Castles High, Marble Bright 
2) 127 North

Digital Download available immediately after purchase

This is a pre-order that will ship the week of 11.7.2016

http://triplecrownrecords.merchdirect.com/products/58926-caspian-castles-high-marble-bright-8-single

3 hours ago, afterosmosis said:

I love Caspian, but I'm actually pretty lukewarm on this one.  Nothing really stood out to me.

wut

11 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

So, I'm just now able to sit down and properly watch this video, tonight, since I didn't want to stream it on my phone at work.  Giving it the proper 1080 justice is absolutely worth it and I'm glad I waited all day.  Here's what I've got to say about it.

The song itself is strong enough on its own, but I wasn't expecting the accompanying footage to be so captivating as well.  Sometimes I feel like a robot on these boards, because Gumbo is posting about how he's crying over Sunbather and a lot of other users talk about how certain post-hardcore albums (pertaining to loss of family) reduce them to tears just one song in... and that's great; music is supposed to be moving and engaging.  But those posts typically leave me shrugging, rolling my eyes, or wondering what I'm missing – depending on the post and context of the music, of course.

But something about this video... I don't know.  I did not flood my keyboard with salty eye-water, but after being taken on a literal journey with their tour and accompanying the rises and falls of the track, there was something about seeing the finale and Phil's CMF tattoo that gave me that sensation of everything in my head and throat tightening up, with my insides aspiring to melt, concave, and vaporize all at once.  Probably the most "wow, why is this so crazy?" thing that's hit me, music wise, in quite some time, and I guess I just wanted to chime in on that.  Maybe I have a heart after all.

Edited by Derek™

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

wut

So, I'm just now able to sit down and properly watch this video, tonight, since I didn't want to stream it on my phone at work.  Giving it the proper 1080 justice is absolutely worth it and I'm glad I waited all day.  Here's what I've got to say about it.

The song itself is strong enough on its own, but I wasn't expecting the accompanying footage to be so captivating as well.  Sometimes I feel like a robot on these boards, because Gumbo is posting about how he's crying over Sunbather and a lot of other users talk about how certain post-hardcore albums (pertaining to loss of family) reduce them to tears just one song in... and that's great; music is supposed to be moving and engaging.  But those posts typically leave me shrugging, rolling my eyes, or wondering what I'm missing – depending on the post and context of the music, of course.

But something about this video... I don't know.  I did not flood my keyboard with salty eye-water, but after being taken on a literal journey with their tour and accompanying the rises and falls of the track, there was something about seeing the finale and Phil's CMF tattoo that gave me that sensation of everything in my head and throat tightening up, with my insides aspiring to melt, concave, and vaporize all at once.  Probably the most "wow, why is this so crazy?" thing that's hit me, music wise, in quite some time, and I guess I just wanted to chime in on that.  Maybe I have a heart after all.

Wonderfully said.  Music videos or "short films" or whatever never do anything for me but this one was perfect.

8 hours ago, Derek™ said:

It's okay to cry, man!  It's good for you!  It gets your endorphins going... it's a totally healthy thing.  I try to watch things that make me cry with some frequency, just as like... a jolt of feeling, I guess?  Like soldier homecoming stuff.... those always get me. 

But yeah, music.  The end of "Dreamhouse" is the one that gets me if I let the mood really take me there.  It's just so beautiful and perfect.  A few Phish jams also make me cry if I take the time to sink in and let the peak carry me there.  It's not like it happens all the time; usually only when I've had a very long, stressful day and I NEED that music to give me that kind of epic release.  Endorphins wash away all the cortisol that builds up in our body from stress and anxiety. 

Also, 90-minute set for the tour!  New merch!!!  I hope I'm finally getting my Holy Trinity.  Or Loft.  Either or, I'm totally cool with.  And Malacoda.  That's all I need. 

3 hours ago, mrewest said:

Wonderfully said.  Music videos or "short films" or whatever never do anything for me but this one was perfect.

In addition to everything I mentioned in my post, it's also the audience in that closing shot that really gets me, I think.  That video isn't some cheesy music video where they had a "crowd audition" or staged live footage; it's a sea of human beings who are more less just as impacted by Caspian's live performance as I am, and I think that's tremendous.  And the shots of the band playing Sycamore, leading up to that final shot, hit home especially – notably because anyone who's seen Caspian live knows what kind of daze and awe that track leaves you in.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

In addition to everything I mentioned in my post, it's also the audience in that closing shot that really gets me, I think.  That video isn't some cheesy music video where they had a "crowd audition" or staged live footage; it's a sea of human beings who are more less just as impacted by Caspian's live performance as I am, and I think that's tremendous.  And the shots of the band playing Sycamore, leading up to that final shot, hit home especially – notably because anyone who's seen Caspian live knows what kind of daze and awe that track leaves you in.

I'm taking my friend to her first Caspian show tomorrow. Then taking another friend to her first Caspian show next month. It's fun to be able to introduce people to such an amazing live band when you know what magic is about to happen. I remember having to almost physically drag my old roommate (not Brian) to see Caspian in downtown Salt Lake once. I bought his ticket, I got us a Lyft, I got him food; did everything I needed besides throwing him in the car. He just didn't feel like going out that night, and I know that feeling all too well, but you leave for Caspian. He at this point had never really heard Caspian before so that's why he wasn't really into going in the first place, but at the end of the night his eyes were wide open in awe. I don't think I'd ever seen someone so taken back by a show before. I was like 'I guess that's how I looked when I first saw them'. And every time I've dragged someone to a Caspian show they have that same look of wonder, their jaw on the floor, unable to speak cause they are still processing the amazement they just witnessed. Especially cause of getting 80 minutes of the best build up to the beauty that is Sycamore. That video did a fantastic job of somehow encapsulating an entire Caspian show in under 10 minutes via a short film for one song. I absolutely love it. I won't lie, when I watched the video for the first time I felt this build up in my chest. It started to get tight, and my eyes get a little wet. I was some overcome within minutes, and I didn't know how to process it. I don't know if it's causes I'm currently in a good mental space, the music did it's thing, the combined visuals, the fact I see them tomorrow, or a combination of all of the aforementioned, but damn it got to me. I connect to music for than I do people, and damn did I connect to that song and accompanied video. It just got to me. Caspian makes me feel things I don't normally feel. It's one of the reasons they are my favorite post rock band, one of my favorite live bands, and why I love, respect, and admire them so much. They're just on a whole other level for me. I may not believe in love , myself, society, or people in general, but god damn do I love and believe in Caspian.

2 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I'm taking my friend to her first Caspian show tomorrow. Then taking another friend to her first Caspian show next month. It's fun to be able to introduce people to such an amazing live band when you know what magic is about to happen. I remember having to almost physically drag my old roommate (not Brian) to see Caspian in downtown Salt Lake once. I bought his ticket, I got us a Lyft, I got him food; did everything I needed besides throwing him in the car. He just didn't feel like going out that night, and I know that feeling all too well, but you leave for Caspian. He at this point had never really heard Caspian before so that's why he wasn't really into going in the first place, but at the end of the night his eyes were wide open in awe. I don't think I'd ever seen someone so taken back by a show before. I was like 'I guess that's how I looked when I first saw them'. And every time I've dragged someone to a Caspian show they have that same look of wonder, their jaw on the floor, unable to speak cause they are still processing the amazement they just witnessed. Especially cause of getting 80 minutes of the best build up to the beauty that is Sycamore. That video did a fantastic job of somehow encapsulating an entire Caspian show in under 10 minutes via a short film for one song. I absolutely love it. I won't lie, when I watched the video for the first time I felt this build up in my chest. It started to get tight, and my eyes get a little wet. I was some overcome within minutes, and I didn't know how to process it. I don't know if it's causes I'm currently in a good mental space, the music did it's thing, the combined visuals, the fact I see them tomorrow, or a combination of all of the aforementioned, but damn it got to me. I connect to music for than I do people, and damn did I connect to that song and accompanied video. It just got to me. Caspian makes me feel things I don't normally feel. It's one of the reasons they are my favorite post rock band, one of my favorite live bands, and why I love, respect, and admire them so much. They're just on a whole other level for me. I may not believe in love , myself, society, or people in general, but god damn do I love and believe in Caspian.

Do her a favor and bring ear-plugs!

1 minute ago, Sasan said:

Do her a favor and bring ear-plugs!

I actually bought a bunch from Amazon the other day. I'm really one of the only people I know who don't use ear plugs among my circle, but I always try to bring them when friends come cause they seem to use 'em. Good looking out, bud.

4 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I actually bought a bunch from Amazon the other day. I'm really one of the only people I know who don't use ear plugs among my circle, but I always try to bring them when friends come cause they seem to use 'em. Good looking out, bud.

It was the first time when I've seen Caspian and didn't bring ear-plugs...I couldn't hear for 2 days... :( I think that moron at the mixer was deaf!

1 minute ago, Sasan said:

It was the first time when I've seen Caspian and didn't bring ear-plugs...I couldn't hear for 2 days... :( I think that moron at the mixer was deaf!

Oh, man. That sucks. Sound has always been good at their shows for me thankfully. I've just gotten really lucky I guess. I usually try to stand as center as possible too, usually crushed up against a floor monitor. Haha.

24 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Oh, man. That sucks. Sound has always been good at their shows for me thankfully. I've just gotten really lucky I guess. I usually try to stand as center as possible too, usually crushed up against a floor monitor. Haha.

Yeah, same here...I normally prefer to stand right in front of the mixer. I guess it depends on the venue since most "smaller" bands don't bring their own sound engineer and rely on amateurs provided by the venue

I'm gonna be a wet blanket. The new song is ok, I find it kind of bland. I think it needs context (i.e. a full length). 

When they last played in Melbourne, their sound was fantastic. Can't wait for them to make it back. But I bring earplugs everywhere, I got burnt too many times at hardcore shows when I was in my teens. 

1 hour ago, pemulis said:

I'm gonna be a wet blanket. The new song is ok, I find it kind of bland. I think it needs context (i.e. a full length). 

When they last played in Melbourne, their sound was fantastic. Can't wait for them to make it back. But I bring earplugs everywhere, I got burnt too many times at hardcore shows when I was in my teens. 

You're telling me you don't like 'Joy'?...

Here is plenty of context:

""Castles High, Marble Bright” and "127 North" were conceived, written and recorded alongside the collection of songs that would become Dust and Disquiet, an album that we hoped spoke to the dialogue between a newly found, furrow browed melancholy and the fractured but unbroken sense of stubbornly epic, dramatically determined optimism that we've been trying to emulate with our music for 12 years. With the end of this album cycle vaguely coming into sight, "Castles High, Marble Bright” is now our North Star, our way home, and our celebration of the decision to fully embrace the above dialogue head on together and see what comes."

On a bit of a different note, "127 North" is the sound of 6 guys playing in a room together on a Friday afternoon. In some ways the least ambitious thing we've ever committed to tape. Free from the grip of over arrangement, overdubs, click tracks, excessive chin stroking and the like, "127 North" is what a Caspian song sometimes sounds like in its infancy.

"127 North is VERY stripped down. Written in one practice and never changed. Recorded all at once with all of us in the same room like the day we wrote it. "

"the song was never truly written.

"We basically recorded a jam we had in our practice space one night and said "that's nice, we should try to recreate it in studio"

"It's a vulnerable moment for us to introduce people to a song that exists in this kind of limbo, somewhere between improvisation and a fully composed piece of music. It's an honest moment and all a part of the process, of course. Maybe it's time to invite people behind the curtain a little... there's some old couches, a few beers and maybe a few high fives back here waiting for you. Some days are less serious than others, and that's quite alright with us."

Edited by Dave Grohl

28 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

You're telling me you don't like 'Joy'?...

Here is plenty of context:

""Castles High, Marble Bright” and "127 North" were conceived, written and recorded alongside the collection of songs that would become Dust and Disquiet, an album that we hoped spoke to the dialogue between a newly found, furrow browed melancholy and the fractured but unbroken sense of stubbornly epic, dramatically determined optimism that we've been trying to emulate with our music for 12 years. With the end of this album cycle vaguely coming into sight, "Castles High, Marble Bright” is now our North Star, our way home, and our celebration of the decision to fully embrace the above dialogue head on together and see what comes."

"127 North is VERY stripped down. Written in one practice and never changed. Recorded all at once with all of us in the same room like the day we wrote it. "

"the song was never truly written.

We basically recorded a jam we had in our practice space one night and said "that's nice, we should try to recreate it in studio"

"It's a vulnerable moment for us to introduce people to a song that exists in this kind of limbo, somewhere between improvisation and a fully composed piece of music. It's an honest moment and all a part of the process, of course. Maybe it's time to invite people behind the curtain a little... there's some old couches, a few beers and maybe a few high fives back here waiting for you. Some days are less serious than others, and that's quite alright with us."

Always coming through with the goods.

Caspian and Russian Circles have to be the 'lowest maintenance' bands in regard to depending upon a venue's sound system that I 've seen. It just doesn't seem to  matter. They sound amazing every time.  Other bands, especially vocalist dominant (but not so much traditional, loud shoegaze), seem to be really dependent upon the sound person, and you never know how it's going to go.  Junius comes to mind.

Also, the new Meniscus is so solid. Couldn't be happier for them. It was  a long wait (5 years) but the new drummer is so good. They have moments like Jakob, toe, Caspian and less  postmetal than previous releases. Over 60 minutes of no-filler music. Thank goodness no vinyl re: shipping from AUS ;)

Edited by drds89
Meniscus

• jhulud locked this topic