Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

22 hours ago, pemulis said:

I'm gonna be a wet blanket. The new song is ok, I find it kind of bland. I think it needs context (i.e. a full length). 

When they last played in Melbourne, their sound was fantastic. Can't wait for them to make it back. But I bring earplugs everywhere, I got burnt too many times at hardcore shows when I was in my teens. 

Listen to it again, and watch the video.  The first time I played it, I was like "Yeah I guess it's okay".  It didn't strike me too much; the mix sounded flat, and the instruments weren't jumping out.  But on the 2nd listen, when I was paying more attention... oh man, that ending section!  It's so heavy, but it's so joyful and full of exuberance and just like, this bursting !!!!-feeling. 

I can't wait to see how that translates to the stage.  It's going to be humongous. 

4 hours ago, drds89 said:

Also, the new Meniscus is so solid. Couldn't be happier for them. It was  a long wait (5 years) but the new drummer is so good. They have moments like Jakob, toe, Caspian and less  postmetal than previous releases. Over 60 minutes of no-filler music. Thank goodness no vinyl re: shipping from AUS ;)

I've only heard "Overhang" but that song is absolutely incredible.  I almost splurged and got all 3 physical releases from them via bandcamp, their older stuff is just as good. 

Well, as always, Caspian was amazing last night. I don't even know how to sum everything up. The sound was so good at the Rock N Roll Hotel last night. It's really small downstairs, and it was packed. They filled up the place with noise. Phil and I were talking and noticed that the crowd was a lot of new people. People that seemed to be hearing Caspian for the very first time that night. It was pretty interesting.

Set:
Waking Season

Echo and Abyss

Some Are White Light

Gone In Bloom And Bough

Arcs of Command

Sad Heart of Mine

Ghost of Garden City

Ríoseco

Darkfield

Castles High, Marble Bright

Phil and I talked a lot after the show, as always, about everything music. But first off to the fact they are finally not closing with 'Sycamore' which I think is great, as does he, even though it's one of my favorite songs. 'Castles High' made an amazing closer. If you guys see them on this tour you are really going to like it. 'Darkfield' is probably one of my favorite live songs because god damn that song hits hard. We were talking about doing albums in full, and what the future looks like for that. We might get a Dust And Disquiet in full tour, maybe, but we are definitely getting a Tertia 10yr Anniversary tour, so be fucking stoked for that. That conversation brought up my dream of wanting to hear You Are The Conductor front to back. He told me that they did it in Europe. I told him about my friend who is coming from the UK, and that we're coming up for Philly. He said to come up early, and they'll play YATC for us for soundcheck. Needless to say I'm really, really fucking excited for that. My friend is going to freak the fuck out.

Other cool news is that there is a bunch of new merch, and it's all great. There is a tour t-shirt with the new logo on the front (small chest pocket logo) and the dates on the back. As well as a screen print on heavy black stock with silver ink. I was going to get the print too, but they said they'll have a signed one for me waiting in Philly (score). They didn't have the 8" with them cause they didn't get the shipment. Not sure when they'll be getting them in for the rest of the tour. I'm sure at some point soon.

One last thing, ... Jimmy Kimmel...

2 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Well, as always, Caspian was amazing last night. I don't even know how to sum everything up. The sound was so good at the Rock N Roll Hotel last night. It's really small downstairs, and it was packed. They filled up the place with noise. Phil and I were talking and noticed that the crowd was a lot of new people. People that seemed to be hearing Caspian for the very first time that night. It was pretty interesting.

Set:
Waking Season

Echo and Abyss

Some Are White Light

Gone In Bloom And Bough

Arcs of Command

Sad Heart of Mine

Ghost of Garden City

Ríoseco

Darkfield

Castles High, Marble Bright

Phil and I talked a lot after the show, as always, about everything music. But first off to the fact they are finally not closing with 'Sycamore' which I think is great, as does he, even though it's one of my favorite songs. 'Castles High' made an amazing closer. If you guys see them on this tour you are really going to like it. 'Darkfield' is probably one of my favorite live songs because god damn that song hits hard. We were talking about doing albums in full, and what the future looks like for that. We might get a Dust And Disquiet in full tour, maybe, but we are definitely getting a Tertia 10yr Anniversary tour, so be fucking stoked for that. That conversation brought up my dream of wanting to hear You Are The Conductor front to back. He told me that they did it in Europe. I told him about my friend who is coming from the UK, and that we're coming up for Philly. He said to come up early, and they'll play YATC for us for soundcheck. Needless to say I'm really, really fucking excited for that. My friend is going to freak the fuck out.

Other cool news is that there is a bunch of new merch, and it's all great. There is a tour t-shirt with the new logo on the front (small chest pocket logo) and the dates on the back. As well as a screen print on heavy black stock with silver ink. I was going to get the print too, but they said they'll have a signed one for me waiting in Philly (score). They didn't have the 8" with them cause they didn't get the shipment. Not sure when they'll be getting them in for the rest of the tour. I'm sure at some point soon.

One last thing, ... Jimmy Kimmel...

Whoa whoa whoa hold up.  That's a lot to digest lol.  Caspian on Kimmel?!?!?!?!? Holy fuck.  That is incredible.  

And Tertia tour?????  YES YES YES.

A personal YATC show???  JESUS.

Going all Gumbo here.  I'M SORRY!!!!!!!!

I don't have any pictures of the show cause I don't care to shoot photos of them. I don't want to be bothered by a phone. I'm living the moment, so I don't need to take pictures to prove it. Haha. 

Here is the shirt:

XC4Txla.jpg

The print is that in silver ink with a larger logo on the bottom if memory serves. They also have a solid grey shirt with the logo in the center. As well as a zip up hoodie with the Dust logo. Might have had a red shirt as well. I believe it was all new designs. $25 print. $25 shirt. They have CDs for pay what you want. Records as well of course. Not sure of the variants. Needless to say bring merch money. You'll need it. 

5 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I don't have any pictures of the show cause I don't care to shoot photos of them. I don't want to be bothered by a phone. I'm living the moment, so I don't need to take pictures to prove it. Haha. 

Here is the shirt:

XC4Txla.jpg

The print is that in silver ink with a larger logo on the bottom if memory serves. They also have a solid grey shirt with the logo in the center. As well as a zip up hoodie with the Dust logo. Might have had a red shirt as well. I believe it was all new designs. $25 print. $25 shirt. They have CDs for pay what you want. Records as well of course. Not sure of the variants. Needless to say bring merch money. You'll need it. 

What's on the front of the tour shirt? Did they take credit, or do I need to bring cash?

Don't want to take the deserved attention away from Matt (that personal YATC show is gonna be insane!) but I think a lot of folks here would be into the new OSA album. I'm always hearing you guys talk about how nobody seems to be doing anything all that interesting nowadays...

https://oursmallestadventures.bandcamp.com/album/the-quiet-terror-of-being-alive

Just think Giants/Astralia with a whole lot of cello thrown in.

37 minutes ago, batman said:

What's on the front of the tour shirt? Did they take credit, or do I need to bring cash?

OP delivers. And they have Square, so credit is good. They take weed, too.

syXv9gR.jpg

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

Whoa whoa whoa hold up.  That's a lot to digest lol.  Caspian on Kimmel?!?!?!?!? Holy fuck.  That is incredible.  

And Tertia tour?????  YES YES YES.

A personal YATC show???  JESUS.

Going all Gumbo here.  I'M SORRY!!!!!!!!

Haha yeah. We were talking about what they should play cause it has to be under 5 minutes. So that's a short list to choose from. Haha.

My vote is easily for 'Sad Heart of Mine'. Also, it is going to be pre-recorded, but regardless, that's going to be great exposure. Tertia Tour is obviously a while away, but at least we know it's going to happen. And yeah, I asked if I'm ever going to get to hear them play that in full, and he said they just need to teach Jani 'Last Rites'. So then later I told him that my friend from the UK is coming and she is huge fan, and that I'm driving us up to the Philly show. He asked me what we'd want to see, and I of course brought up YATC. He said to come early and they'll let us in, and play it in full for sound check just for us. I just stood there cause it took a moment to process and was like '...wat'. So yeah, that's going to be insane. I'm brimming with excitement. I want to tell my friend so bad. The funny thing was is that I was going to ask them to just dedicate a song to her, ya know, no biggie. But then before I even ask Phil offers pretty much our own private set. I had two friends with me that were new to Caspian, and they were like 'Phil is the most down to Earth dude ever', right after he buys my friends and I a beer, and I'm like 'do you see why I love this band so much?'. I also talked to Jani for a little while about Sainthood Reps. He says they have enough demo material for another album, so they might put it out one day. He also offered me a copy of Monoculture that I'm missing. I always love talking to him about how he steals the show for me. Bass is so under appreciated and I always have to thank him, cause he is my favorite live bassist, easily.

But yeah, hope you can make it out to a show, Evan. You won't regret it. Appleseed was so good, too!

They posted the new merch on their IG memories, or wahtever the fuck its called.

Edited by Dave Grohl

3 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Why not Williamsburg, which is much closer.

Well, you've guaranteed my Holy Trinity and Loft in Philly.  I'm sure I can talk my way into soundcheck :P

I'm going to Boston because that's a Friday, and I'll only miss a short 2.5 hour teaching shift Saturday morning, rather than a full day of work on Thursday for NYC. 

4 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Don't want to take the deserved attention away from Matt (that personal YATC show is gonna be insane!) but I think a lot of folks here would be into the new OSA album. I'm always hearing you guys talk about how nobody seems to be doing anything all that interesting nowadays...

https://oursmallestadventures.bandcamp.com/album/the-quiet-terror-of-being-alive

good stuff!

20 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Well, you've guaranteed my Holy Trinity and Loft in Philly.  I'm sure I can talk my way into soundcheck :P

I'm going to Boston because that's a Friday, and I'll only miss a short 2.5 hour teaching shift Saturday morning, rather than a full day of work on Thursday for NYC. 

Haha they're playing it for me and my friend only. You fuck off.

5 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Holy shit, this stuff is fantastic! 

• jhulud locked this topic