The Concert Thread

Saw Tim Kasher and Laura Stevenson in Houston last night. Incredible show and super intimate--not a big turnout so it was really chill. Was hoping he'd play "Album of the Year" but no dice. First time at Fitzgerald's and I really liked the venue.

They played Album of the Year in Dallas. Did he play any Cursive songs? He did The Recluse solo on the piano and the band played  From the Hips. The real freak out for me though was Worked Up Sexual by The Faint. Definitely was not expecting that.

They played Album of the Year in Dallas. Did he play any Cursive songs? He did The Recluse solo on the piano and the band played  From the Hips. The real freak out for me though was Worked Up Sexual by The Faint. Definitely was not expecting that.

just "from the hips" and "the competition" (good life) and also played the cover song.

from monogamy: afraid i'm gonna die here, strays, cold love, bad dreams, prodigal husband

from bigamy: the jessica

from adult film: american lit, truly freaking out, a lullaby sort of, the willing cuckold, you scare me to death, raincloud

that little bass player was really gettin' after it haha

i loved laura stevenson also. bought both of the albums they had.

just "from the hips" and "the competition" (good life) and also played the cover song.

from monogamy: afraid i'm gonna die here, strays, cold love, bad dreams, prodigal husband

from bigamy: the jessica

from adult film: american lit, truly freaking out, a lullaby sort of, the willing cuckold, you scare me to death, raincloud

that little bass player was really gettin' after it haha

i loved laura stevenson also. bought both of the albums they had.

Laura and the bass player were adorable. The bass player fell into the drums while Tim was playing them at the very end of the set. Tim then proceeded to step off stage and immediately take a shot with an already-too-drunk girl in the crowd.

He also talked a lot about how we should all masterbate in front of each other or something like that. He was pretty toasted.

Such a good show.

missing Daniel Johnston and Jacuzzi Boys/Peelander Z tonight (have to go home for my Grandmother's funeral tomorrow).  RVIVR tomorrow night.  Chelsea Light Moving/Merchandise wednesday night.  The Banditos thursday night.  The Sidekicks/Younger Siblings (for a soft opening of a brand new record store my buddies' are opening) then Motion City Soundtrack Sunday night. next Monday Pianos Become The Teeth/United Nations/Code Orange Kids/Wild Moth, next Tuesday King Khan & the Shrines, next Friday Tera Malos/Zorch/Shapes Like Dinosaurs

this past week: Sunday 20th Neutral Milk Hotel/Elf Power, Monday 21st Arliss Nancy/PJ Bond/Henry Dunkle/Andrew Schwartz (Dolarhyde/The Fourth Estate), Tuesday 22nd Big Freedia, Wednesday 23rd J. Roddy Walston, Thursday 24th Langhorne Slim/Jonny Fritz (Jonny Corndawg), Friday 25th Cave/Plains, Saturday 26th Wray, (unfortunately) stayed in last night (Sunday the 27th) after work and missed Crystal Stilts

additionally I'll be missing FunFunFunFest in Austin....have a free weekend pass I can't use because I can't afford to get out there nor can I afford to be out of work again....bummer, would love to finally see Slayer,  Descendants, Television, Narrows, and Dismemberment Plan

missing Daniel Johnston and Jacuzzi Boys/Peelander Z tonight (have to go home for my Grandmother's funeral tomorrow).  RVIVR tomorrow night.  Chelsea Light Moving/Merchandise wednesday night.  The Banditos thursday night.  The Sidekicks/Younger Siblings (for a soft opening of a brand new record store my buddies' are opening) then Motion City Soundtrack Sunday night. next Monday Pianos Become The Teeth/United Nations/Code Orange Kids/Wild Moth, next Tuesday King Khan & the Shrines, next Friday Tera Malos/Zorch/Shapes Like Dinosaurs

this past week: Sunday 20th Neutral Milk Hotel/Elf Power, Monday 21st Arliss Nancy/PJ Bond/Henry Dunkle/Andrew Schwartz (Dolarhyde/The Fourth Estate), Tuesday 22nd Big Freedia, Wednesday 23rd J. Roddy Walston, Thursday 24th Langhorne Slim/Jonny Fritz (Jonny Corndawg), Friday 25th Cave/Plains, Saturday 26th Wray, (unfortunately) stayed in last night (Sunday the 27th) after work and missed Crystal Stilts

additionally I'll be missing FunFunFunFest in Austin....have a free weekend pass I can't use because I can't afford to get out there nor can I afford to be out of work again....bummer, would love to finally see Slayer,  Descendants, Television, Narrows, and Dismemberment Plan

whoa.

whoa.

working at a Music Venue has it's perks....unfortunately those perks aren't great/steady pay....also to anybody who shit-talks on Birmingham or Alabama, we may not get all of the big shows, but we get plenty of awesome shows to keep my live music addiction under lock and key

I haven't been going to any shows, and it's been killing me.  Being back in PA, there isn't anything ever going on here that I'm remotely interested in, but as far as recent history, I got to see three shows that were all wonderful experiences.

First was Sigur Ros in Cleveland - show was flawless!  It was my first time seeing them, and I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

Two days after that was Brand New in Buffalo - I won free tickets to this show 3 hours before it started, haha.  My girlfriend and I were able to go with a few friends that already had tickets, and that show did not disappoint.  That was also the first time her or I had seen them.

Few days ago was The Chariot farewell tour in Cleveland.  The rest of the tour was god awful, but it was worth it to see The Chariot one last time.  The first band I ever toured in had a big influence from The Chariot back in 04, even playing some shows with them, they've been a band that has been there every step of the way growing up, and it's always made me happy to see how they tie such a positive punk rock idealism into their chaos.  They should not be touring with garbage bands like Glass Cloud, it blows my mind.

Moving to St. Petersburg, FL on November 15th, excited that I'll actually be near 12938091238120 venues in the Tampa Bay area, with a wide array of shows happening all the time.  Time to get back in the game!

I saw Kevin Devine last Saturday. Last time I saw Kevin Devine was around 2008 I think. One of my friends was good friends with the guys in Miniature Tigers, and they were opening, so we went. I ended up really enjoying Kevine Devine's set, so I bought a copy of Put Your Ghost To Rest at the merch table after the show. It was an album I liked, but it never got a ton of play time after the show. I couldn't tell you more than a couple of the song titles.

Fast forward to now, and I can't tell you why I haven't listened to Kevin Devine more. The show, although riddled with sound problems was excellent. I had some prior commitments, so I got to the venue late, but it was just in time for Kevin Devine's set. The lights dimmed and the stage lights started flashing along to AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" as The Goddamn Band took the stage. I'm guessing the walk on song was because of laralaurent's crowd over in Denver the night before. Haha. Like I said before, I'm not too familiar with Kevin's work, so I can't really comment on the setlist, but I can't recall any songs I didn't care for. They brought a ton of energy, and Kevin really knew how to interact with an audience. They started having sound problems a few songs in ("Kickstarter doesn't buy you any guitar techs"), so there was a long history lesson from Kevin about Nikola Tesla and electricity while he fixed the problems. After the short intermission the show went on in all it's glory.

Here's the next few shows in my schedule,

Nov. 2 - The Devil Whale, Desert Noises, The North Valley

Nov. 6 - Iron & Wine, Jesca Hoop (maybe)

Nov. 12 - Caspian, 65daysofstatic, TWIABP

Nov. 27 - Built To Spill, Slam Dunk, Genders

Dec. 6 - Jeff Tweedy

The offer's always open, that if you need merch from any of the shows I've got planned, I'd be more than happy to help if I can. Just PM me before the show.

Cannot wait for next week. Reel Big Fish and Goldfinger on Sunday, NFG/Alk3 next Monday, and Frank Turner next Saturday.

Thats going to be an awesome show!  Saw RBF and Goldfinger together many years ago and they messed with each other on stage the whole time.  It was one of my favorite shows.

I haven't been going to any shows, and it's been killing me.  Being back in PA, there isn't anything ever going on here that I'm remotely interested in, but as far as recent history, I got to see three shows that were all wonderful experiences.

First was Sigur Ros in Cleveland - show was flawless!  It was my first time seeing them, and I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

Two days after that was Brand New in Buffalo - I won free tickets to this show 3 hours before it started, haha.  My girlfriend and I were able to go with a few friends that already had tickets, and that show did not disappoint.  That was also the first time her or I had seen them.

Few days ago was The Chariot farewell tour in Cleveland.  The rest of the tour was god awful, but it was worth it to see The Chariot one last time.  The first band I ever toured in had a big influence from The Chariot back in 04, even playing some shows with them, they've been a band that has been there every step of the way growing up, and it's always made me happy to see how they tie such a positive punk rock idealism into their chaos.  They should not be touring with garbage bands like Glass Cloud, it blows my mind.

Moving to St. Petersburg, FL on November 15th, excited that I'll actually be near 12938091238120 venues in the Tampa Bay area, with a wide array of shows happening all the time.  Time to get back in the game!

Since you seem to jump to Cleveland for shows a lot, I'm assuming you live in Western PA? We've been getting some really great shows on the East side, it's been hard to keep up! 

You guys go to shows...with friends...????  What!?!?!?!  Weirdos.

I would say at least 60% of all shows I have ever attended I have been flying solo.  Would've been more if I hadn't insisted on dragging my girlfriend/fiancee/wife to a bunch.  Which is always a mistake.  Always.  "My feet hurt."  "This person keeps bumping into me."  "That person is smoking."  "Someone spilled beer on me."  "It's so loud."  "Why is he cursing Jesus Christ?"  Etc.

I saw some love for The Lone Bellow on the first page. I've seen them twice this year and they were incredible both times. I'd recommend them to anyone.

I saw Twin Forks in Dallas on Monday. As if seeing Chris Carrabba in a tiny bar with 100 people in it wasn't enough, John Lefler from Dashboard showed up halfway through the set and he and Chris played The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most, Stolen, and Hands Down. Seriously one of my best concert experiences and getting to meet John and Chris was so great.

You guys go to shows...with friends...????  What!?!?!?!  Weirdos.

I would say at least 60% of all shows I have ever attended I have been flying solo.  Would've been more if I hadn't insisted on dragging my girlfriend/fiancee/wife to a bunch.  Which is always a mistake.  Always.  "My feet hurt."  "This person keeps bumping into me."  "That person is smoking."  "Someone spilled beer on me."  "It's so loud."  "Why is he cursing Jesus Christ?"  Etc.

Good to know I'm not alone

I saw some love for The Lone Bellow on the first page. I've seen them twice this year and they were incredible both times. I'd recommend them to anyone.

I had the chance to see them in Austin a few weeks ago at The Belmont with probably about 70 others. We got let in a little late but when we entered the whole place was belting out a Boyz II Men jam and it was great haha. They were awesome though and I definitely recommend seeing them too.