The Concert Thread

Still amped up from Lucero/Titus Andronicus.  Great time.  A few random thoughts!

Titus Andronicus was a bit disjointed.  There was a lot of tuning between sets and no one will mistake Patrick Stickles for a frontman who plays the audience like a puppeteer.  Crowd didn't seem that in to them.  I still managed to enjoy them though.  In A Big City, Upon Viewing Oregon..., A More Perfect Union and No Future III were among the jams.  Plus two or three new tunes.  New tunes sound rocking.

Lucero!  27 songs!  I think of all the bands I see live on a regular basis they play the longest headlining sets.  When I first started going to see Lucero live, I kept being disappointed that they don't play the upbeat faster songs live but now I go in expecting to hear "the slow sad stuff" and I love them live now.  The band really seemed genuinely happy to be playing a show tonight.  Everyone was really into it.  I got to hear my favorite song tonight - Chain Link Fence.  They didn't play Juniper, which I was really happy about cause they have played that dud the past the few times.  

Ok, I'm tired.  Voice gone.  Good night (good morning?).  

this past friday night (8th) was Tera Melos with Zorch

tonight: Little Big League and my buddies' band Ugly Houses

tomorrow: Birdsmell (Ben Bridwell from Band of Horses)

Tuesday: Small Black

Wednesday: Geographer/Royal Bangs

Thursday:Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires/Pujol/GT

Saturday:Futurebirds/Blank Range/Church Shoes (the venue I work at is having our 7th anniversary show....it's a Twin Peaks prom themed night...never actually seen Twin Peaks and this is one of the weaker anniversary line-ups, last year was Southern Culture on the Skids and previous years have been Elf Power and The Hold Steady)

this past friday night (8th) was Tera Melos with Zorch

tonight: Little Big League and my buddies' band Ugly Houses

tomorrow: Birdsmell (Ben Bridwell from Band of Horses)

Tuesday: Small Black

Wednesday: Geographer/Royal Bangs

Thursday:Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires/Pujol/GT

Saturday:Futurebirds/Blank Range/Church Shoes (the venue I work at is having our 7th anniversary show....it's a Twin Peaks prom themed night...never actually seen Twin Peaks and this is one of the weaker anniversary line-ups, last year was Southern Culture on the Skids and previous years have been Elf Power and The Hold Steady)

Are you even going to get out of bed next Sunday?

saw Less Than Jake on Friday night, one band that I can truly say has never disappointed me, and I have seen them all but maybe 2 times in the last 13 years that they came to Philly.

saw Reel Big Fish/Goldfinger last night, as someone else pointed out, pretty cool to see Mike Herrera on bass for Goldfinger. Been way too long since I had last seen them.

LTJ/RBF/GF in one weekend, I felt 17 again.

get to Roadie for a day for Drive-By Truckers on Tuesday while they shoot a video at my venue.  they're playing live for the shoot though, with the house PA blaring and monitors, so it'll be like a show.....where they only play one song.....over.....and over......aaaaaaand over

get to Roadie for a day for Drive-By Truckers on Tuesday while they shoot a video at my venue.  they're playing live for the shoot though, with the house PA blaring and monitors, so it'll be like a show.....where they only play one song.....over.....and over......aaaaaaand over

I had to do this for a local band once and ended up getting handed a small child mid-shoot (probably about the 4th time they were playing through the song). I'm pretty disappointed that they cut out that part of the video, I personally think it would have been a great shot of me looking horribly confused and uncomfortable. 

Shoots like that are a lot of fun though and if you don't know the song before hand...you'll definitely know every lyric by the end of the night.