The Concert Thread

Saw Brand New and Circa Survive last Tuesday. It was my first time seeing Brand New and my second seeing Circa Survive (the first only being a Warped Tour set). The show was crazy awesome. Before the show, Anthony Green walked by and I shook his hand, telling him I was stoked for the show. That was really awesome, since I've loved that dude's music for a long time. 

This coming Tuesday, I'm seeing Four Year Strong. It'll be the first time I see them outside of Warped Tour, so I am majorly stoked. It's been a good week.

Saw Brand New and Circa Survive last Tuesday. It was my first time seeing Brand New and my second seeing Circa Survive (the first only being a Warped Tour set). The show was crazy awesome. Before the show, Anthony Green walked by and I shook his hand, telling him I was stoked for the show. That was really awesome, since I've loved that dude's music for a long time. 

This coming Tuesday, I'm seeing Four Year Strong. It'll be the first time I see them outside of Warped Tour, so I am majorly stoked. It's been a good week.

Missed ticket sales for the BN/Circa concert here, and I'm not paying 300 from a reseller. I'd really like to see Circa at some point though

next few weeks I have:

4/29 - The Loved Ones in Asbury Park, NJ

4/30 - The Loved Ones in Philly

5/02 - Beale Street Music Festival (Paramore, Bleachers, Flogging Molly, John Fogerty) in Memphis, TN

5/07 - Alkaline Trio in Philly

5/08 - Alkaline Trio in Philly

5/09 - Alkaline Trio in Philly

5/10 - Alkaline Trio in Philly

5/12 - Ben Folds in Philly

5/14 - Surfer Blood in Philly

I went to The Missing Link Tour for night 2 in Vancouver on Friday.

I was most excited to see Mastodon since I haven't seen them since the Crack the Sky/Volcom tour in 2010, which was amazing.  I caught Clutch in Vancouver on the last tour for Earth Rocker in 2013, and of course they were 100% so I was also looking forward to seeing them again.  Having never seen Big Business and been a fan since their beginning I was eager to get in the door early to catch them.

All I can say is that Big Business fucking KILLED it!  Lacking the guitar from the albums I was blown away from the 2 piece bass and drums.  They were super sludgy, even more so than their albums.  These guys gave me a massive musical boner.  Got to meet the drummer Coady at the merch table, super nice guy and signed my record sleeve.

Mastodon was up next, I was less than impressed with Troy's vocals.  Musically they were great, but I was bummed out about Troy's vocals, I was like he was trying to hard.  Brent actually put the most solid vocals down for Mastodon that night, Bran was great considering he is blasting the drums.  I got a bad taste in my mouth from Troy, and it was disappointing.

Clutch was 100% as per usual, Neil was Neil, totally awesome.  JP was JP totally awesome, Tim and Dan were boring to watch they are not Rock Stars, but played to perfection.  I mean if you have seen you know what to expect, a high energy show that is 100% musically there.

Big Business stole the show for me, Clutch came in a close second and Mastodon let me down.

Overall a great show with good merch, picked up Big Business's latest on Clear, Blood Mountain on lime/dark green vinyl, and a Clutch and Mastodon shirt.

I still think of BigBiz as a two-piece....they rip SO fucking hard live, every single time I've seen them (5 times now I think?). First time I saw them (going into the show knowing Coady is the drummer from my favorite band) I hadn't heard any music for them....opening for Blood Brothers at a DIY space and Coady was playing so fucking hard that his entire drum kit on the rubber bottomed rug almost went off of the front of the stage twice, had to get up and move his entire kit back. I thought they were WAY better than BloodBros that day.

Yeah man Coady was blasting the kit!  What is your favorite band, Murder City Devils?  They are awesome too.

I have never seen anybody hit drums as hard as Shane from KEN Mode, holy fuck.  I think he told me that he packed 200 drum sticks for the tour and he had 50 left and they were about half way through their tour.  If you haven't seen them go next time they are through your town!

Yeah man Coady was blasting the kit! What is your favorite band, Murder City Devils? They are awesome too.

I have never seen anybody hit drums as hard as Shane from KEN Mode, holy fuck. I think he told me that he packed 200 drum sticks for the tour and he had 50 left and they were about half way through their tour. If you haven't seen them go next time they are through your town!

Murder City, absolutely (probably can't tell, but my avatar me is wearing a shirt that says "MCD"). Yeah, seen Ken Mode a couple of times as well, that dude does hit hard as hell

In a few weeks I might hit up Wild Adriatic, they are in town to work on some new songs and are having that just be totally open.  Might stop in for a bit at some point just to check it out, but they are also doing a free show too.  It's at a BYOB place so that should be interesting.  

Next up will be D4th of July.  Can't wait for tickets to go on sale for that.  The lineup is ridiculous.  Against Me!, Dillinger 4, Tim Barry, Off With Their Heads, Scared of Chaka, Toys That Kill.  Fuck me, I am dreading the 5 hour car ride alone, but damned if I'm not beyond stoked.

I'm sure some other stuff will pop up.  I mostly stopped by here because I am just super excited after seeing the D4th of July lineup.

Diarrhea Planet last night....new drummer is weird to see...but they still killed it.

Dubbed our new venue (they were the third show at the new venue and the last of the free weekend of shows for opening weekend) their favorite venue in an 8 hour radius of Nashville.

If anybody from here roams through Birmingham, AL in the future make sure you catch a show or at least stop by Saturn (and Satelite)....we have something really really really awesome happening right now...a venue of unprecedented excellence at it's size

The company I work for is a corporate sponsor of the St. Augustine Amphitheatre. I put in the request for Brand New tickets months ago (we have the right to first refusal), but apparently my boss missed the deadline and they sold our designated seats. Today my boss handed me an envelope and said he felt bad about it and ordered a couple tickets off Stubhub. Now I gotta find someone to go with tomorrow night.

not a ton of shows on my summer schedule...

Strung Out / Red City Radio next saturday

Alkaline trio - past lives tour (day 3) the following weekend

Counterpunch in july

Get up kids in august

I saw Strung Out last week and was honestly disappointed. They seemed super sloppy playing the new songs and Jason couldn't seem to sing them, either. I can say that I was so disappointed that after seeing them time after time, last week was probably the last. That being said, I hope if was just an off night.