The Concert Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Saw The Hotelier on Monday in Newcastle, they were really good as per. Good turn out for a first UK tour.

Slam Dunk festival on Saturday. First time I've been since 2010 but I NEED to see The Bronx, h2o, Millencolin and Bane for a final time.

Just hope the drunk kids getting wet over you me at six etc will stay out my way. Too jaded to deal with that.

• 1 month later...

Caught the Zodiac Fucked Up tour last Friday (3rd) playing to like 75 people....first time they've played Alabama, it was rad

Caught meeithoutYou, Foxing, FieldMouse at the venue I work at as well as Craig Finn, Local H, and many more that have blurred by recently

Jim Atkins is playing the venue tonight, might go catch him and see how this solo deal is going

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Roky Erickson on Saturday. Never thought I would get to hear Two Head Dog or You're Gonna Miss Me live. I was blown away that Roky can even perform, at his age and state. I am so thankful I can cross that off my list.

Roky is awesome live. I've seen him three times now. gets better all the time.

I had a fun little stretch of shows recently. 

7/11 - Mighty Mighty Bosstones/Street Dogs/Interrupters at Toad's Place in New Haven

7/12 - Stiff Little Fingers at the Sinclair in Cambridge, MA

7/18 - Mighty Mighty Bosstones at TT the Bear's in Cambridge, MA

That 7/18 show was in a 300 person cap venue. I've seen MMB somewhere between 30 and 40 times and that was by far the smallest venue I've ever seen them play. It might also have been my favorite show I've ever seen them play. So that got me thinking about shows where bands play smaller venues than they have any right to play. What have been some of yours of that ilk?

Right after Warning was released, I saw Green Day play a 600 person cap venue in Boston where the tickets were given out my a radio station. I remember them being much looser than usual and screwing around quite a bit onstage but I still feel really lucky to have been to that one.

I saw Frank Turner do a 3-song and a 5-song solo set at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and the aforementioned TT the Bear's a couple years in a row. 

I've also seen the Dropkick Murphys (in recent years) at a small club twice - they played two sets each time, each with a bunch of covers and rarities. The first time they played Do or Die front to back and the second them they did The Gang's All Here front to back. And they ddin't play Shipping Up to Boston at either show. Those were two of the best shows I've ever seen. 

So that got me thinking about shows where bands play smaller venues than they have any right to play. What have been some of yours of that ilk?

Right after Warning was released, I saw Green Day play a 600 person cap venue in Boston where the tickets were given out my a radio station. I remember them being much looser than usual and screwing around quite a bit onstage but I still feel really lucky to have been to that one.

I saw Frank Turner do a 3-song and a 5-song solo set at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and the aforementioned TT the Bear's a couple years in a row.

I've also seen the Dropkick Murphys (in recent years) at a small club twice - they played two sets each time, each with a bunch of covers and rarities. The first time they played Do or Die front to back and the second them they did The Gang's All Here front to back. And they ddin't play Shipping Up to Boston at either show. Those were two of the best shows I've ever seen.

Alabama Shakes playing a free bar show at a bar in Tuscaloosa, AL where they kind of got their start...you can cram and I mean CRAM maybe 100-150 in this shotgun style dive bar

Godspeed You! Black Emperor in a 250 cap room

Hold Steady in a 250 cap room

Minus the Bear in a 250 cap room

Band of Horses in a 250 cap room

J Mascis in a 250 cap room

Zach Galifinakas in a 250 cap room

Patton Oswalt in a 250 cap room

Rob Delaney in a 250 cap room

Beach House in a 250 cap room

the amount of bands/acts that requested to play the 250 cap venue that could sell out the larger venues in town is pretty crazy....I guess we were doing something right

Were some of them "secret" shows or unannounced or anything?

Nope, All were simply first come first served. The only secret show that happened at the venue that the public wasn't allowed into was Widespread Panic...and that was part of that year's C.I.M.S. convention when it was in town (other shows that happened in conjunction with the C.I.M.S. convention that year included a free and semi-open to the public "in the know" aka those in town that followed the band on Twitter was a Black Keys fan-favorite set at a small bar here in town the week before "Brothers" was released)

I guess I'll add that Black Keys show to my list, probably 100-150 at that show right before they were opening up arena shows for Kings of Leon

We also had TV on the Radio (jokingly) demanding their show in town be at the venue...at the height of Escape From Cookie Mountain. But I wasn't there for that show (not really a fan of the band)

Saint Vincent never played any other venue in town (but to be fair she also recorded her first record with out sound guy and our owner played on her first record....she also state at their house for like 7 weeks while making that album). She should've been playing in much larger venues.

That place was rad as hell....

Back On Topic

Saturday 25th; Dustin Kensrue (venue I work at)

Saturday 1st of August; The Roots and Common (for free)

Monday 3rd of August; Rocky Votolato, Dave Hause, Chris Farren (venue I work at)

Friday 7th of August; In Snow (venue I work at)

Saturday 8th of August; Good Ole War (venue I work at)

Tuesday 11th of August; Colliseum and Wray (venue I work at. drummer for Colliseum is one of our sound engineers when not on tour, his girlfriend is our venue manager in charge of booking all shows...this'll be a rad night)

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Fat Wreck 25th show in Toronto today. Every band played an amazing set.

Tomorrow night I'm going to see Faith No More & Refused. I have a feeling it's going to be empty. They've been selling tickets 2 for 1 all week and today at the Fat Wreck show they had people walking around selling tickets for $30 (when i bought mine the cheapest seats were $66).

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...

Just wrapped up High Five Fest IV

Getting to catch The Quadrajets for the first time was amazing....first show in 15 years and they fucking ripped SO hard...also watching my boss play was killer

So damn loud....4 guitars, bass, drums, with 5 vocal mics

For the youngest guy on stage being 42 they rocked harder, put on a better live show, and were louder than most bands comprised of 18-20 year olds.....granted the most animated guy is still a very active touring musician and still skateboards probably helped. For a band that hasn't played in such a long time they sure were tight