The Concert Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Last night went to Of Mice and Men, Marilyn Manson, and Slipknot.

OFAM was great. For MM, it was the usual. The show was great, the band sounded tight, but Manson himself sounded like poop. Not sure if it's the sound guy or what.

Slipknot was incredible. So tight and precise. Corey looked like a caged animal due to the neck brace and not being able to jump around.

A few small shows coming up, but the next big one for me is Deftones along the water in Boston

I saw Modest Mouse & Brand New last night. As far as being a fan of either, I like pre-Good News Modest Mouse better than Brand New, but BN on the whole I enjoy more if we're going off of what percentage of their discography I like. 

I thought MM were a huge letdown, mostly due to the setlist: Only two songs from LCW, one from TM&A, none from Long Drive, and "Grey Ice Water". Everything else was Good News or later. The instrumentation was cool, with care taken to replicate the studio versions with a trumpet, maracas, and other percussion (even wind chimes), but there wasn't a lot of energy and it bothered me. They played the songs sufficiently.

Brand New surprised the hell out of me. I expected the same kind of show from them, but they delivered big time on energy and stage presence. Jesse was running and jumping on the amps by the end. Performances were on point too, they've played those songs hundreds of times but they put on a show like it was their debut.

51 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

I saw Modest Mouse & Brand New last night. As far as being a fan of either, I like pre-Good News Modest Mouse better than Brand New, but BN on the whole I enjoy more if we're going off of what percentage of their discography I like. 

I thought MM were a huge letdown, mostly due to the setlist: Only two songs from LCW, one from TM&A, none from Long Drive, and "Grey Ice Water". Everything else was Good News or later. The instrumentation was cool, with care taken to replicate the studio versions with a trumpet, maracas, and other percussion (even wind chimes), but there wasn't a lot of energy and it bothered me. They played the songs sufficiently.

Brand New surprised the hell out of me. I expected the same kind of show from them, but they delivered big time on energy and stage presence. Jesse was running and jumping on the amps by the end. Performances were on point too, they've played those songs hundreds of times but they put on a show like it was their debut.

That is kind of status quo for Modest Mouse.  They play the songs really well but they arent doing a whole lot on stage.  Time 3 for me seeing them and it was like that each time.   I agree the set was new albums heavy, but they played bukowski and that is my jam so i was excited. 

I felt like Brand New played FOREVER. playing 7 songs off of Devil and God I felt made the set really drag. i know people absolutely love that record and they have all but gravitated away from YFW stuff and most of Deja.  Have to fill a set somehow I suppose.  I wish they would have spread out the Deja stuff. Playing 3 from that album in a row made you realize there would be no more from it and they had half a set to go which was a bummer.  

It also seemed like alot of people left after Modest Mouse.  my group stayed in the same spot for both modest mouse and brand new and it really opened up during brand new.

also dom I did not see you there

1 hour ago, Twistedshabazz said:

That is kind of status quo for Modest Mouse.  They play the songs really well but they arent doing a whole lot on stage.  Time 3 for me seeing them and it was like that each time.   I agree the set was new albums heavy, but they played bukowski and that is my jam so i was excited. 

I felt like Brand New played FOREVER. playing 7 songs off of Devil and God I felt made the set really drag. i know people absolutely love that record and they have all but gravitated away from YFW stuff and most of Deja.  Have to fill a set somehow I suppose.  I wish they would have spread out the Deja stuff. Playing 3 from that album in a row made you realize there would be no more from it and they had half a set to go which was a bummer.  

It also seemed like alot of people left after Modest Mouse.  my group stayed in the same spot for both modest mouse and brand new and it really opened up during brand new.

also dom I did not see you there

I agree about the Deja stuff, would've liked it spread and liked one or two extra to take away some D&G songs.

I was up toward the front with some friends the whole time, and I didn't spot you looking back or forward either. 

These are first impressions of each band though, never seen either life. Overall a good show.

I went to the LA DUB show today and saw a bunch of rappers. I finally saw 50 Cent who did all of his songs and I saw Schoolboy Q again and I felt so bad for him, the stupid DJ messed up the first 5 minutes of his set by having the volume way to high and everything was muffled. He was supposed to open with Gangsta which is one of my favorite songs by him but it didn't happen. Also the crowd sucked so Q was getting really frustrated at the crowd for being so inactive and unresponsive to his songs. He did do Big Body off the new album which happens to be my favorite song off the new album so that was great. Other artists I saw were Fat Joe with Remy Ma, OT Genasis, Jay Rock, and French Montana.

Saw Ryan Adams and HFB last night in Detroit. Ryan was on point my first time wifes 3d time? Bummer was it was only a hour set..... we were row 8. Played a non scripted? Song about a spider pretty funny. HFB was eh stayed for 2 songs. 1/3 or 1/2 of the crowd left after RA. Stoked that we got a random signed poster from the stack. Not sure how many of the 100 were signed.

Saw Ryan Adams and HFB last night in Detroit. Ryan was on point my first time wifes 3d time? Bummer was it was only a hour set..... we were row 8. Played a non scripted? Song about a spider pretty funny. HFB was eh stayed for 2 songs. 1/3 or 1/2 of the crowd left after RA. Stoked that we got a random signed poster from the stack. Not sure how many of the 100 were signed.

On July 13, 2016 at 0:13 PM, Dave Grohl said:

Just got tickets to see Caspian with Appleseed Cast at the Rock And Roll Hotel in DC. That's going to be an amazing show. Taking my best friend with me. So stoked!

Saw Appleseed Cast open for mewithoutYou and they were fucking great. If you've never seen them, prepare to be moved haha. 

I've got Warped Tour coming up in a few days and am really starting to stress about merch money haha. I always take an absurd amount with me so I don't have to walk around contemplating what merch I wanna take home. 

Today I purchased tickets for:

• The Get Up Kids in Rhode Island
  • The Get Up Kids in North Jersey

This Friday, I am buying tickets for:

• Taking Back Sunday in Philly
  • Joyce Manor in Philly
  • CHVRCHES/Frank Turner in Ohio
  • Allison Weiss in Philly
  • Frank Turner in Delaware
  • Piebald in Philly

Goodbye, bank account.

Edited by Snaggle Von Swift

• 4 weeks later...

Ben Nichols Friday 8/19 9PM - Musica Akron
Into It. Over It. Monday 9/19 7PM - Beachland Ballroom & Tavern Cleveland
The Get Up Kids Tuesday 10/11 8PM - Musica Akron
mewithoutYou/Into It. Over It. Thursday 10/20 6PM - Skully's Music-Diner Columbus
Foxing Thursday 11/10 8:30PM - Beachland Ballroom & Tavern Cleveland

Anyone going to be at any of these shows?