The Concert Thread

Monday I saw Citizen, Drug Church, Glitterer and Floating Room. FR and Glitterer were pretty good. Drug Church blew away everyone. They're tighter than ever. Last time I saw them was 2017 and they're insanely good live. I'd say even better than the recordings. Citizen wasn't sounding too good. I saw them during Youth and EIGTH album cycles and enjoyed them live but they sounded kind of weak and lifeless. Drum parts were different live. The brothers didn't seem that into it. Maybe COVID is getting to some touring artists. The tour actually didn't finish due to positive cases, which I saw happen with a few tours last week. Last night I saw Lawrence and they were really good and play as an 8 piece band. Both were at TLA in Philly which is definitely one of the worst venues. They're still overcrowding and it's pretty uncomfortable. I guess they couldn't afford to turn the AC on for a couple hours for 2 shows that we're almost sold out. /s

The only good thing is vaccine cards/negative tests are required and you have to wear a mask at all times. But that place definitely sells more tickets than fire code should allow which is really frustrating.

• 1 month later...

1 minute ago, phillybhatesme said:

I'll be the grandpa for a moment...am I the only one who doesn't like big shows like that? Like, sure great lineup, like holy fuck, but I don't want to travel for what ends up being 5 days. 

I’ll be the super grandpa for a moment and say that big shows like that sound awful and 99% of those bands are fucking horrible. 

17 minutes ago, phillybhatesme said:

I'll be the grandpa for a moment...am I the only one who doesn't like big shows like that? Like, sure great lineup, like holy fuck, but I don't want to travel for what ends up being 5 days. 

You're not alone. I don't have the energy/patience to run around from stage to stage anymore. This is a one day fest. 12 hours, three stages, apparently. Most of the bands I want to see definitely won't have more than a 25 minute set, before I have to run to the next one. 

tldr - I'm old and lazy, and this show would inconvenience me greatly. 

Edited by mitchard

I'll echo and extend that Grandpa sentiment...shows and line-ups like this are more of a pain in the ass than anything else. Especially if that many bands are going to be crammed in during a single day and across two stages. 

At least something like Furnace Fest '21 had that many bands...maybe more but spread out over three days and across three stages. And it was run almost perfectly. 

(And nice touch to whomever edited in ETID w/ Rome in there...LOL...)

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

I'll echo and extend that Grandpa sentiment...shows and line-ups like this are more of a pain in the ass than anything else. Especially if that many bands are going to be crammed in during a single day and across two stages. 

At least something like Furnace Fest '21 had that many bands...maybe more but spread out over three days and across three stages. And it was run almost perfectly. 

(And nice touch to whomever edited in ETID w/ Rome in there...LOL...)

That’s the joke! Glad you found it. 

There's a lot of reports out there but this festival is fishy aside from the set times. Apparently royal & the serpent didn't receive communication they were booked, and it's questionable if All American Rejects did either. But the set times/number of bands & stages is a huge red flag.

Astroworld was trending last night or earlier today; the same folks putting on When We Were Young put on Astroworld (and another event taking place in southern cali the following day, I believe) and there were comments about how ticket sales for these events are just going to cover the fees for the Astroworld tragedy. 

Ok, enough twittersphere for me though.  

7 hours ago, phillybhatesme said:

Astroworld was trending last night or earlier today; the same folks putting on When We Were Young put on Astroworld (and another event taking place in southern cali the following day, I believe) and there were comments about how ticket sales for these events are just going to cover the fees for the Astroworld tragedy. 

Ok, enough twittersphere for me though.  

The sensationalism around the promoters for WWWY and Astroworld being the same is hilarious. LiveNation is a gigantic company that promotes events worldwide. They literally own Ticketmaster. But they should be bankrupted for the Astroworld tragedy regardless.

9 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

spacer.png

so we got when we were young, jawbreaker tour,  sunny day real estate tour, furnace fest. And I’ll probably just go to riot fest because it’s close. 

who went to furnace fest last year? How was it?

Juan answered you in the other thread, but Furnace was nice. The VIP viewing locations and spaces were solid, and were the only way to get a decent view at the shed/plug your holes stage. There weren't a ton of food vendors, but there were in/out privileges (and a brewery across the street). You'll need a car. There aren't hotels within reasonable walking distance, and there weren't nearly enough rideshares to keep up with attendees. Even with a ton of band cancellations, they still pulled off a really nice weekend. I'm still not sold on this year, kinda hoping some of the acts pop up at Riot or do club dates in addition.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:29 AM, Tidal Wave said:

spacer.png

so we got when we were young, jawbreaker tour,  sunny day real estate tour, furnace fest. And I’ll probably just go to riot fest because it’s close. 

who went to furnace fest last year? How was it?

I somehow missed that SDRE are going to tour. So stoked now. I am seeing Jeremy Enigk with Appleseed Cast and Cursive next week and am looking forward to it.