The Concert Thread

I’m going to WWWY 22 on October 29th. Waited until last week to plan anything. 

got a cheap ticket on stubhub. Bought a decent flight with points. Friends already booked rooms so now I’m just helping them split costs another way. 

looking to catch a knights game and some sort of Vegas performance (comedy / circus / dance)

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

Well I survived. Felt like a good mix of warped tour and riot fest. My throat has been killing me all week though. 

I originally signed up for the wait list for that day... But I guess it wasn't meant to be. Was so jealous  to see Death Cab For Cutie and Underoath were added because Avril dropped too!

• 2 weeks later...

Bamboozle's lineup gets announced on November 22nd. I'm hoping it's good. I'm annoyed they're waiting so long especially since early bird Adjacent sold out but we'll see. There 2 major festivals in NJ in May 2023 and then there's Atlantic City Beer and Music Festival early June so they need to bring some heat. They confirmed they turned down the bands on Adjacent which is a bad sign too lol. My only guesses are August Burns Red, The Devil Wears Prada & Bleed From Within based off their tour route. If you have any guesses let me know!

Firefly is not returning in 2023. They say 2024 but some are doubtful. Delaware sucks. Lol. It makes me think the artists they could pick from weren't desirable for 2023 which I can't say until I see other 2023 festival lineups. They're run by AEG who run Coachella and many other festivals. However turnout was super low so that's probably the biggest factor.

Last month I went to The Knocks/Cannons/Julianna Madrid. I mainly went for Cannons who were honestly a little boring. They're good but very low energy. We skipped Julianna because her recordings are pretty boring and I was super bummed Pink Skies didn't play the rest of the tour. The Knocks headlined and I quickly realized I don't like house music. I was shocked this show didn't sell out but then I found out Gorillaz were playing a few miles over the same night.

Full of Hell's hometown show was great like always. Burial Waves were incredible. They've gotten even better live and deserve to be playing massive venues. I can't express how good they are. Damnations Domain were good. If you like death metal give them a shot. They have members from Doubledealer and Year of the Knife. 

They Are Gutting A Body Of Water played down here at the end of the month and I really liked them. Primal Rat Screw dropped unfortunately.

I have nothing planned for the rest of the year besides maybe 2 local shows. Jarhead Fertilizer should be playing here soon but it hasn't been announced. I want to go to the August Burns Red/The Devil Wears Prada tour but idk anyone that wants to go and I'm also waiting on Bamboozle. Christmas Burns Red is at one of the worst "venues" I've ever been to and it's $74 a night so I'm skipping that. I went in 2019 and the sound was horrible since it's a makeshift venue in a convention center room. We ended up leaving early because the wait for the bathroom was roughly 20-30 minutes and you could barely move inside. I get that they want to have it in Lancaster but they'd be better off doing an annual outside show in a field when the weather is warmer. Or just anywhere else. They definitely violated fire capacity laws and if there are laws about bathrooms since there's no re-entry that was a major issue. I can't recommend anyone go there.

Edit: jk the abr tour is definitely not going to be part of Bamboozle

Edited by N8TRU

Saw Built to Spill Wednesday and Modest Mouse play LCW last night. That was my fourth time seeing BtS in less than a year and was probably the best I have seen them play in 5-6 years. Doug didn’t look like he was falling asleep for once.

Modest Mouse was…okay. Pretty much what I expected from that band in 2022 and with two hipster kids poorly mimicking Dan and Eric’s parts. That was both my first and last time ever seeing that band and it’s nice to check that off my bucket list now. I don’t think I saw Isaac take a single drink of alcohol (or anything else) that entire time, yet he progressively seemed to get more fucked up as it went on. He messed up Bankrupt On Selling so bad that it literally sounded like a toddler was playing guitar.  It ended with him kicking the last song into double speed just to get the show over with it seems. Very interesting and very embarrassing performance overall. I enjoyed it I guess and don’t regret going, but I definitely don’t suggest that anyone wastes their time and money to go. 

I went last night and don’t regret it, personally.  Totally agree that Isaac started to rattle off the rails at the end – musically he felt on point but there were probably 3 different songs where he started the wrong lyrics on a verse and had to back it up / try again.  Not a huge deal but by the end I was rooting for him just finish it out.

⚠️ Ignore the rest of this post if you’re not an avid Modest Mouse nerd.

Easily the funniest moment of the night, though, was Life of Arctic Sounds as an encore.  My immediate thought when they started playing it was “oh shit.  Isaac is gonna’ have to remember lyrics and do basic math at the same time?  This can’t end well.”  And sure enough… it did not. 😂 As anyone familiar with the song can tell you, each line of the song (before the finale) is “And X-hundred miles is a [real] long drive inside a car.”  With X starting at 100, and incrementing by 100 to reach 11 hundred miles – which is decidedly too far inside a car.

Tallying the miles and going off his vocals, I’m pretty sure he referred to;

100 miles

200 miles

400 miles

500 miles

500 miles

600 miles

900 miles

1000 miles

1100 miles

1200 miles – Isaac ‼️ Alert: mile capacity exceeded; what are you doing? ‼️

And he started to keep going after that, too, but probably realized “thirteen hundred“ is too many syllables that doesn’t roll off the tongue, so he just went quiet and omitted singing during that part with the rest of the band jamming behind him.  Then the song wrapped up as normal.  I know this doesn’t read as all that funny but if you’re intimately familiar with the band’s b-sides, it was definitely a “you had to be there” kind of moment.

Extended outro of Cowboy Dan was god-tier. I loved what they did with JCWAOC.  Lighting felt really dynamic and killer.  Got Edit the Sad Parts as an encore… honestly, there was a lot to be happy with.  I probably wouldn’t catch them on a normal / new album tour, but I’m glad I got to see them play LCW in full.  Yeah, I would’ve loved to see the original lineup play.  But the few flubs didn’t tarnish the price of admission or the drive to make it happen, for me.

Edited by Derek™

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

Anyone watching the bamboozle roll out / debacle?

it feels like they actively don’t want people to attend. 

Yes, I can't believe how bad it's been. Headliners were supposed to be phase 2 and now it's going to  be at the end of announcements. For how much they're charging we need the full lineup to prove itself.

1 minute ago, N8TRU said:

Yes, I can't believe how bad it's been. Headliners were supposed to be phase 2 and now it's going to  be at the end of announcements. For how much they're charging we need the full lineup to prove itself.

For how “fyre fest” WWWY seemed they still did an amazing job with hype. 

this lineup announcement is like the opposite of hype. 

dont think I’ve  seen another festival  do headliners last

On 1/4/2023 at 10:22 AM, prowl20 said:

Just got tickets to go see Codeine play a 150 cap venue in Brooklyn. I'm pretty effing stoked right now

I really wish I would have waited out getting Numero Twenty tickets. Would so much rather travel to see them in NY vs. going to LA for the festival thing. I don’t really care too much for most of the bands playing that.

16 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

I really wish I would have waited out getting Numero Twenty tickets. Would so much rather travel to see them in NY vs. going to LA for the festival thing. I don’t really care too much for most of the bands playing that.

Honestly, I think seeing The Hated alone will be worth going. They’re probably not going to be playing much more. But I’m also fawning over 90% of that lineup so that’s just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...