The Concert Thread

Numero Twenty Day 1 was nuts:

-had never heard Ui before today, the edible I took helped me enjoy their set more

-Tsunami were so much fun

-Chisel were amazing. Ted Leo is a treasure and everyone should go see Chisel on their upcoming tour if they can

-Karate felt much louder than when I saw them play their “second” show back together in Boston. Much shorter set this time around and not closing on This Time Next Year was kind of a bummer but I get it, it’s a long-ass song. Solid set otherwise. I always fawn over how good Gavin is at drums.

-Unwound stole the show for me. I’m very happy I bought tickets to see them in NYC next month. Hoping I get blessed with some flowers next time 

Edited by prowl20

That Unwound set was absolutely nuts. Definitely feel a little mislead when it comes to the venue though. I didn’t expect to be breathing in second hand smoke the whole time lol. Seeing Codeine is gonna be weird there but I absolutely can’t wait, especially since the day 2 lineup is 10x more stacked than day 1 imo. Worth the flight down.

Not trying to always be a complainer but was a bit surprised since Numero made the venue and event sound a bit more classy (?) than it turned out to be. I didn’t really mind much but don’t know why they were calling it “less of a festival and more than a work of art” even though it was in a dilapidated ass building that smelled like my chainsmoking grandparent’s house.

2 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

Not trying to always be a complainer but was a bit surprised since Numero made the venue and event sound a bit more classy (?) than it turned out to be. I didn’t really mind much but don’t know why they were calling it “less of a festival and more than a work of art” even though it was in a dilapidated ass building that smelled like my chainsmoking grandparent’s house.

Yeah, my section reeked of whisky. I was honestly happy Unwound got the crowd to swarm the stage, I was getting annoyed with sitting the entire time haha. And the fact that it was so dingy was cool, mainly because security didn’t care that I brought in my backpack (for medical purposes)  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The year before last, September, 21, we went to see Clapton in Nashville.  It was an expensive trip in terms of both dollars and time.  But we reasoned, at his age, how many more chances will we have to see him.  So we made a vacation to Nashville around the concert.  It's a 2 day drive for us each way.  But a fun trip; Nashville is such a fun city.  Clapton's concert was the greatest we had ever seen.

Last  year we went to see Clapton in Chicago in September.  We love Chicago and again, made a vacation out of it.   This time a day drive each way.  But we reasoned, well, you know.   Clapton's concert was even better.  And we hit all the Chicago restaurants and shopping.

Tickets for Clapton in Denver in August just went on sale last Friday at 10 AM.  But we reasoned, well, again, you know😉

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 2:15 PM, prowl20 said:

Just bought a ticket to see Matt Talbott (of Hum) play a living room in a few weeks. I am beyond excited

Me and a buddy did this a few years back / it was a great show as long as you go in knowing (I assume this has not changed) that he’s only playing solo material + 1 Centaur song (+1 cover).

4 hours ago, prowl20 said:

I'm totally okay with that! 

Good deal! Like I said, it was a great show and an amazing opportunity we couldn’t miss. Matt was super nice and chill also.

We’ve seen Dave Bazan / Pedro the Lion a couple times via Undertow’s living room show setup, and he’s (unsurprisingly) awesome in the uber-small setting as well.

11 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Good deal! Like I said, it was a great show and an amazing opportunity we couldn’t miss. Matt was super nice and chill also.

We’ve seen Dave Bazan / Pedro the Lion a couple times via Undertow’s living room show setup, and he’s (unsurprisingly) awesome in the uber-small setting as well.

Those shows are cool. I attended one few years ago with Eric Bachmann from Crooked Fingers/Archers of Loaf. 

On 5/23/2023 at 10:16 AM, dawhizz said:

Those shows are cool. I attended one few years ago with Eric Bachmann from Crooked Fingers/Archers of Loaf. 

Nice. I’d love to catch him, but he hasn’t come by here yet - they just announced a new run for him that *also* doesn’t come through here, but there are apparently October dates forthcoming still…

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 11:28 PM, iwokeinrelief said:

He was SO GOOD today! I went in with zero expectations and it was incredible! Ended up buying a print, hopefully one day he’ll put out his solo stuff as a physical format 

Caught the mighty YOB with Gozu and Cave In in Boston Saturday night.  Great show all around, and the first time I've been to Middle East since probably 2018? Gozu on record is not at all my thing, but they were fun as hell live. Cave In was excellent, as always. 

Yob was amazing. Loud, heavy, thunderous...played a 90 minute set that consisted of a whole six songs, one each from most of their old albums (I think a track from every record except Our Raw Heart). I couldn't have been happier.

I haven't posted in a while so here's my first half of the year.

February: August Burns Red was great as always. The Devil Wears Prada sounded like garbage which is unlike them. Bleed From Within was pretty generic.

I saw Lolo Zouaï in April and she was really good. She played all of her new album and 7 other songs. She has a ton of visuals, props, a live guitarist and live drummer which gave her set a lot of life.

Superheaven's reunion show in Philly was on point with all the other times I had seen them in the past. It felt good to see them again for the first time in 8 years.

I went to Adjacent Festival on Sunday only. Honestly, it was exhausting and I'm glad I only did one day. The sand was harder to walk in than it is on the Delaware beaches I'm used to. I swear my foot went almost a foot down in the sand every step which is not normal. The small stages sounded incredible while the main stage sounded horrible except for Knocked Loose. Candy, Soul Glo, Hot Milk and KL were the best bands of the day. They did a $99 flash sale which was an amazing price. I can't justify $212 for 1 day, even with the Blink reunion ticket prices being so high. I also saw Loveless, Midtown, Off!, L.S. Dunes, The Movielife, Motion City Soundtrack, The Front Bottoms, Turnstile, and Blink-182. Unfortunately I missed Incendiary and Folly. Almost everyone I saw was good, but the main stage sound really dampened some performances and I think that was the biggest complaint besides the merch line that took anywhere from 1-2 hours to get through. I think it'll be back next year and I hope it isn't on Memorial Day weekend again.

A really big highlight for me was I got to go to The Atlantis which is the old 9:30 Club. They did a lottery system where I didn't win but the day of I got lucky and got face value resale tickets. I saw Hot Chip who I've been wanting to see for a very long time. Honestly the venue is so small it felt like a private show and I had no problem standing in front. All the equipment is new and it had the best sound of any venue I've been to. The opener Cadence Weapon was really good and honestly a lot better live than his recordings.

AJJ played a free show in Rehoboth to celebrate their beer collab with Dogfish Head. They were really good and they played a full set. Considering we don't get tours down here and it was free it was a huge surprise.

Friday night I saw Ava Max play a club show and I think regarding live performances she's the best pop artist I've seen.

Saturday night was Drain, Drug Church, Magnitude, Gel and Combust at Baltimore Soundstage. Huge turnout and everyone killed it. Drain was pretty hilarious. They threw out a ton of inflatables and pool noodles. People were beating each other up with them the entire time and jumping off stage wearing inner tubes. It made me realize how many bands take themselves too seriously.

I have no shows planned for the future which is crazy but we'll see what the year brings.

I went back to school last year so my show-going took a dip, but since the school year ended exactly one month ago, here's who I've seen, in chronological order:

Blink-182/Turnstile
Pedro The Lion
Pet Symmetry
Foo Fighters/Sublime With Rome/Deftones/Jawbreaker/White Reaper (Sonic Temple Festival)
Paramore/Bloc Party
Bad Cop Bad Cop/The Last Gang
Thrice/Holy Fawn
Sparta/Geoff RIckly
The Cure/The Twilight Sad

Plus I worked a few School Of Rock gigs in there, as well as going to a show of just local bands.

Here's what's on my docket for the rest of June:

Bryan Adams/Joan Jett
Weezer/Modest Mouse/Momma
LCD Soundsystem/Idles
NOFX/Descendents/Suicide Machines/etc. (Punk In Drublic Fest)

I am seriously fuckin' exhausted already, but we have our first baby coming this November, so we gotta get as much life in as we can before our whole world changes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two weeks ago some buddies and I went to go see Standards at a record store in Raleigh. Openers were Condado, Cloutchaser, then Invalids. Condado were solid emo and Invalids were good, but a bit much (I never thought I'd see both guitarists and the bassist two hand tapping simultaneously). Standards were super tight and funny, but Cloutchaser fucking stole the show. They have a new album called Metallica and their sound is a weird mix of Lightning Bolt, Van Halen, An Albatross, Hella, and a bunch of other bands I can't bring to mind at the moment.. HIGHLY recommend them! Since I've started following them on socials I saw they played a show in St. Louis where So Many Dynamos played under a fake name... that would have been nuts.

Last night was the end of Pool Kids first headlining tour and I specifically waited for a headlining tour to see them. Unfortunately half the band was sick so they played as a 2-piece for the first time in several years and it was really great! A couple touring guitarists stepped up and learned 2 songs in less than 24 hours which was so cool. Maybe the best two-piece band I've seen live.

1 hour ago, N8TRU said:

Last night was the end of Pool Kids first headlining tour and I specifically waited for a headlining tour to see them. Unfortunately half the band was sick so they played as a 2-piece for the first time in several years and it was really great! A couple touring guitarists stepped up and learned 2 songs in less than 24 hours which was so cool. Maybe the best two-piece band I've seen live.

They are headlining a pretty small venue in St. Louis is a couple weeks and while I really like but don’t quite love the last album, I’ve heard such raves about them live I’m gonna try to go. 

39 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

They are headlining a pretty small venue in St. Louis is a couple weeks and while I really like but don’t quite love the last album, I’ve heard such raves about them live I’m gonna try to go. 

I think you should! Ours was 200 cap and being sold out made it a lot more fun. Granted it wasn't oversold so it wasn't cramped. I really love the new album so I'm biased there. Most of their setlist (12 songs) is the new album but they threw in a few from LP1.

• 1 month later...

So a buddy of mine and I saw Head Automatica the other night in Seattle, which was very sparsely attended. I’m not even a fan of the band but my buddy is and he was pretty disappointed by the performance (they only played for an hour and the opening band Foxy Shazam blew them off the stage). Anybody else see this tour? Tickets were $75 and the tour was hardly promoted so I’m not surprised by the small attendance.