The Concert Thread

48 minutes ago, mitchard said:

Just got tickets for Bright Eyes' Seattle date in June. Haven't seen them since 2007 on the Cassadaga tour. Should be pretty rad. 

I had tickets for the Seattle date before COVID since they weren’t coming to Portland. Really glad I don’t have to make the drive up now. Gonna grab tickets during the presale tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

Just got tickets to see Grouper. I’ve seen her a few times but I think the last time was opening for Swans when they toured To Be Kind. It’s been a while and I can’t wait.

What a great pairing.

How is everyone fairing with live music in the pandemic?  Even with requiring a test or a vaccination, it seems inevitable that Covid is bounced around in these tight indoor spaces.  Even with masks, and especially with how humid they can get… it just strikes me as the riskiest social situation I’ve been in since the pandemic started.  Really considering chancing it for Godspeed and Mogwai in a few months, and maybe Appleseed / Thursday in a couple of weeks from now.  On one hand I get the concept of “look.  You’re vaccinated.  The venues requires masks at all times.  You’re doing all you can do; it’s time to live your life”… but on the other, it feels weird when half of your favorite artists are canceling tours out of safety and consideration, and the other half aren’t.  Anyone been able to attend shows again for a bit and dodge Covid?  Or more curiously… has anyone been doing a great job at avoiding Covid all pandemic, but picked it up from a live show?  I figure that will be me.

I'm still really sketched out by it, despite having quite a bit on my calendar in the coming months. I went to My Morning Jacket/Durand Jones back in October, which was my first show since everything started. Despite the venues in Seattle enforcing masks at the door and proof of vax/negative test, everyone is drinking the whole time... so masks aren't up for the vast majority of people. Luckily we were able to get some distance for the most part. 

Bummed that Jeff Rosenstock canceled his tour (It feels like I've been waiting to see these No Dream songs for like five years now haha), but it made sense with what the rates were in Seattle at the time. I'll be going to see (what I assume will be) a smaller local show tomorrow with my brother, which should be interesting. And then Thursday/Cursive/Jeremy Enigk/Appleseed Cast next week, which will be messy I'm sure. 

58 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

What a great pairing.

How is everyone fairing with live music in the pandemic?  Even with requiring a test or a vaccination, it seems inevitable that Covid is bounced around in these tight indoor spaces.  Even with masks, and especially with how humid they can get… it just strikes me as the riskiest social situation I’ve been in since the pandemic started.  Really considering chancing it for Godspeed and Mogwai in a few months, and maybe Appleseed / Thursday in a couple of weeks from now.  On one hand I get the concept of “look.  You’re vaccinated.  The venues requires masks at all times.  You’re doing all you can do; it’s time to live your life”… but on the other, it feels weird when half of your favorite artists are canceling tours out of safety and consideration, and the other half aren’t.  Anyone been able to attend shows again for a bit and dodge Covid?  Or more curiously… has anyone been doing a great job at avoiding Covid all pandemic, but picked it up from a live show?  I figure that will be me.

The only two I have been to in the past two years are These Arms Are Snakes and then Built to Spill a few months later. The TAAS one was packed and was a pretty uncomfortable situation. I ended up getting sick right after that but fortunately wasn’t COVID. I had BtS tickets since before the pandemic and they ended up honoring the tickets and moving it to a bigger venue without opening ticket sales again. I had the front and center rows on the balcony to myself pretty much. 

I’m seeing that Thursday tour and am hoping that since I hate Thursday and just want to see openers, it will be less packed before I leave. Catching the Microphones and Godspeed pretty soon too. I fortunately made it nearly two years without getting corona, but then caught it two weeks ago after my girlfriend’s daughter was exposed on her school bus. It’s such a crapshoot at this point. I’ll see how this Thursday show goes and then might end up skipping the next few indoor shows I am attending. It’s very conflicting and no matter how much I rationalize it, I still feel like a piece of shit doing stuff like this.

Edited by Bronchitis

I’m boring and enjoy to soak in shows through spectating over moshing or fighting for my balance in the front row for an hour.  If I can get a clear view where I’m not being shouldered for the entire set, I’m happy.  But like you said, everyone being loosey-goosey with (non N95) masks, coupled with how contagious Omicron is… bleh.  It just sucks because being on edge or extra precautious to avoid Omicron in a sealed venue is not how I want to be enjoying my live music.  Really debating if it’s worth the drive, money, and energy for me.

Edited by Derek™

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I’m boring and enjoy to soak in shows through spectating over moshing or fighting for my balance in the front row for an hour.  If I can get a clear view where I’m not being shouldered for the entire set, I’m happy. 

I’m the same way. I got kneed in the nuts at some punk show at the Satyricon as a kid and it fucking sucked. That traumatizing experience and my anxiety have made me avoid getting super close to the stage. I’m a balcony guy for life, especially as I get older and grumpier. 

A few days ago I nabbed tix for Halsey. They were pricey for decent-ish seats...and I'm flying solo...but still. But I'm pretty excited for the show. And then the day after I get to see Aly & AJ. So I guess it's going to be one helluva pop music week. 

I'm catching TOOL next week. Twice. So pretty excited for that as well. 

I have been to shows with people stage diving and didn’t get Covid but then I catch it from my kids day care.  I am definitely in the you just got to live your life camp now. 

saw steveo in January 

greg Barnett (Menzingers) march

avett brother march

rhcp july

the killer’s September 

On 2/4/2022 at 5:42 PM, Derek™ said:

What a great pairing.

After being vaccinated and then getting Omicron it's no mask no care from here on out. Covid sucked and I'll probably get it again sooner or later but that first show back (Nothing/Bambara/Midwife) was too good to shy away from for another year. It's an outdoor venue but there's no way that matters in the pit, which only happened for one song anyways. Going back at least once this month and once next month. Also it was supposed to be for vaccinated only but no one checked. Some people wore masks, most didn't.

So that "little local show" I was going to ended up being headlined by Worst Party Ever, playing their last show on the tour. Had no clue!

Snagged a copy of Anthology on coke bottle clear /100 from them. One just went on ebay for $185... so I'd say that random show worked out pretty well. 

On 2/4/2022 at 3:52 PM, Bronchitis said:

I’m the same way. I got kneed in the nuts at some punk show at the Satyricon as a kid and it fucking sucked. That traumatizing experience and my anxiety have made me avoid getting super close to the stage. I’m a balcony guy for life, especially as I get older and grumpier. 

Yeah that sounds pretty damn miserable.  What a lousy way to spend a show you paid to attend.  Regarding the balcony... is that someone you just kind of seek out or do you buy tickets for it specifically?  I've never been a balcony but I'm considering it during the pandemic.  I just haven't seen the option for the few shows I'm eying tickets for.

On 2/5/2022 at 10:39 PM, Why not Shelby said:

After being vaccinated and then getting Omicron it's no mask no care from here on out. Covid sucked and I'll probably get it again sooner or later but that first show back (Nothing/Bambara/Midwife) was too good to shy away from for another year. It's an outdoor venue but there's no way that matters in the pit, which only happened for one song anyways. Going back at least once this month and once next month. Also it was supposed to be for vaccinated only but no one checked. Some people wore masks, most didn't.

Nothing + Bambara + Midwife is a sick lineup, damn.  Nice little variety there.  I'm a bit more intrigued by the idea of outdoor venues for the time being but those are far and few for the bands I've got my eye on it, it seems.  The vaccination / mask enforcement sounds about as lax as I figured it'd be.  I expect to see lots of people who wear a mask to get in and then then let it hang for their first sip of beer... and the remainder of the show to follow it.

Who else are you catching live in the coming months?

17 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah that sounds pretty damn miserable.  What a lousy way to spend a show you paid to attend.  Regarding the balcony... is that someone you just kind of seek out or do you buy tickets for it specifically?  I've never been a balcony but I'm considering it during the pandemic.  I just haven't seen the option for the few shows I'm eying tickets for.

Most venues around me have balconies and sell assigned seats at an additional cost. They usually have their own bar up there too, so it makes it easier grabbing beer or whatever without having to push your way back to where you were standing at on the floor. I have no problem spending the additional $10-15 for seats. There's also a couple venues I have been to with first come, first served seating. I skip openers 90% of the time, so end up up just hitting the floor at that point since all seats will be taken by the time the headliner hits. I'm actually not as neurotic as I made it sound and have stood floor waaaay more than I have sat on a balcony.  I have pretty good seats for the Appleseed/Cursive/Thursday show this Friday at least and even better ones for Godspeed next month.

As far as other shows that I haven't mentioned, catching Mogwai and Touche Amore in April and Pavement in September.

17 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

You guys mentioning shows that aren't requiring masks or vaccines seems crazy!  So glad the few shows I have been to recently have all been strict on that.

Seriously. My friend just sent me news that they are planning on removing the mask mandate in Oregon by March 31st, so I'm kind of rethinking some of the indoor shows I have tickets to after that.

7 hours ago, stl_ben said:

You guys mentioning shows that aren't requiring masks or vaccines seems crazy!  So glad the few shows I have been to recently have all been strict on that.

We've been living like normal in Florida for at least a year. Not saying it works since I already got covid once but whatever. Wasn't much worse than a normal cold with the vaccine, thanks for speeding that up Trump I'm glad your followers agree.

On 2/7/2022 at 7:06 PM, Derek™ said:

Nothing + Bambara + Midwife is a sick lineup, damn.  Nice little variety there.  I'm a bit more intrigued by the idea of outdoor venues for the time being but those are far and few for the bands I've got my eye on it, it seems.  The vaccination / mask enforcement sounds about as lax as I figured it'd be.  I expect to see lots of people who wear a mask to get in and then then let it hang for their first sip of beer... and the remainder of the show to follow it.

Who else are you catching live in the coming months?

Mannequin Pussy in a couple weeks! They should shred Gramps up

Mannequin-Pussy-Credit-Marcus-Maddox-may

• 1 month later...

Jason Lytle last night and Lightning Bolt tonight. Both of those shows were supposed to happen March 2020, so it’s nice finally getting to see them. I spent way too much money on Sigur Ros and Phoebe Bridgers tickets recently too. I’m already pretty tapped out on seeing live music and have stuff booked out until September. I’ll probably take a break after all of those unless it’s something crazy. 

• 2 weeks later...