Humming like crazy. Technics SL-q2 to Sony component hst-211. Please Help?

I have a friend who purchased a Technics SL-Q2 and hooked it up to his Sony component system model hst-211 and there is a loud hum that he can't seem to fix.There doesn't seem to be a ground connection on the back of the component system.

I let him use my extra  Behringer Preamp, technics hooked into the preamp, the preamp hooked into the component system with the Technics grounded to the preamp, the hum was even louder.

Any ideas as to what might be the cause or a fix? here are some pics I took of the back. Maybe someone can steer me in the right direction.

lou.jpg

lou1.jpg

lou2.jpg

lou4.jpg

Thank you!

What is going into the antenna port? Are those the speakers? That's where the AM/FM antenna is supposed to go, and it doesn't look like it's hooked up properly. Also, do you have a video cable (yellow) going into the CD audio input? Nothing on that system really looks hooked up correctly, can you post a picture of the whole backside?

What is going into the antenna port? Are those the speakers? That's where the AM/FM antenna is supposed to go, and it doesn't look like it's hooked up properly. Also, do you have a video cable (yellow) going into the CD audio input? Nothing on that system really looks hooked up correctly, can you post a picture of the whole backside?

I posted another pic but its not showing up for some reason. The second picture is the external radio antenna thats connected into it. The turntable is connected to the phono connection, and the unposted picture shows the speakers connected to their correct inputs and a 3 pin connector for the turntable that originally came with it that's right next to the speaker outputs that has nothing connected to it but specifically states 'only for ps lx295'

If you're running through the external pre amp as you've described, you shouldn't plug the other end into the phono input. It will lead to much distortion, humming, whatever. It's a line level signal out of the pre amp and needs to go into one of the CD, tape ports, etc (anything besides phono). Make sure one end of the ground is securely connected to the TT and the other end connected to the pre amp.

If you had it hooked up that way and it still wasn't working, it sounds like a bad ground port on the TT or possibly bad RCA inputs on the Sony system.

If you're running through the external pre amp as you've described, you shouldn't plug the other end into the phono input. It will lead to much distortion, humming, whatever. It's a line level signal out of the pre amp and needs to go into one of the CD, tape ports, etc (anything besides phono). Make sure one end of the ground is securely connected to the TT and the other end connected to the pre amp.

If you had it hooked up that way and it still wasn't working, it sounds like a bad ground port on the TT or possibly bad RCA inputs on the Sony system.

That Makes complete sense. I still had it running through the phono input. Ill pass the info along and report back.

You can just ground the TT to the amp casing using one of the fixing screws on the back.

The ground symbol actually means ground/chassis

It sounds like it originally used a dedicated TT that was possibly DC powered from the amp and then not needing a ground or if it was AC powered had a ground that came through the 3 pin plug dedicated to it.

You can just ground the TT to the amp casing using one of the fixing screws on the back.

The ground symbol actually means ground/chassis

It sounds like it originally used a dedicated TT that was possibly DC powered from the amp and then not needing a ground or if it was AC powered had a ground that came through the 3 pin plug dedicated to it.

so it would be safe to ground it to the fixing screws even though it would be backing to wood/particle board?

You should get a ground through it if you use one of the ones on the edge (the bottom picture) as they should screw into the metal case which will connect to the chassis with the side screws, if the screw you use doesn't give you a path to the chassis nothing will change

That was the fix! Thanks so much Allenh!

• 7 months later...