Pro-ject vs Rega turntables

I've been looking around at the higher end (compared to the Debut) Pro-Ject and Rega turntables ($1,000 to $1,500) just for fun and I was wondering what people think of some of the models. 

I've been looking at the Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 and the Rega RP3. Anyone have some useful opinions/experience with these? Pros and cons of both? Are there any other tables in the same price range that I should be looking at? Just looking at nicer tables for future reference.

It's all a sham in my opinion. Less of the higher end ones are made but probably with higher qualified designers and engineers. It's the same with the vehicle market. You can buy a Nissan Versa that will get you from point A to B no problem, or you can go for a Ferrari that will get you from point A to B with more looks headed your way. Ok obviously there are the in-betweens like acceleration, top speed etc. But there are enough silent belt drive turntables with very decent tonearms that do the job just fine. 

I can't think of other reasons for such an upgrade other than aesthetic. But if it makes you happy go for it! Why not? You only live once.

It's all a sham in my opinion. Less of the higher end ones are made but probably with higher qualified designers and engineers. It's the same with the vehicle market. You can buy a Nissan Versa that will get you from point A to B no problem, or you can go for a Ferrari that will get you from point A to B with more looks headed your way. Ok obviously there are the in-betweens like acceleration, top speed etc. But there are enough silent belt drive turntables with very decent tonearms that do the job just fine. 

I can't think of other reasons for such an upgrade other than aesthetic. But if it makes you happy go for it! Why not? You only live once.

I'm just looking for helpful opinions on any high end tables (what's good, what's bad, are they worth it, etc) but I'm now wanting to know what table you would recommend and why. If you could have any table you wanted, what would you get?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

In the price range you posted the rp3 is an absolute best buy. Pro-ject's rpm line is far from the performance you'd expect a their price points. The only exception is the 1.3 genie.

Wildflange's post is a total joke.

Seriously on the 1.3... its why I bought it. So many great attributes for the price. I bought it over the 5.1SE....

Real life LOL

Big loud laugh, very deep breath, another very loud laugh, frightened the crap out of the cat.

wildflange not wishing to belittle you but there are two things I would suggest you do, drive a proper fast car that is made in Europe and go and listen to some music you know well on a proper hifi. Enjoy the experiences for what they are and forget about the costs and if the car is Italian the noise should have the same effect on your ears as the hifi.

In the price range you posted the rp3 is an absolute best buy. Pro-ject's rpm line is far from the performance you'd expect a their price points. The only exception is the 1.3 genie.

Wildflange's post is a total joke.

Slinch is spot on, In general the Rega line will win because of the tone arm which is and has been the industry standard for years.

On an unsprung turntable there is much less you need to get right but the Rega engineers have a very musical ear which shows in pretty much everything they make. I have nothing against the Project range and have owned a few but given the choice of the two I would go Rega every time.

I always find that the most helpful posts on VC are the ones that begin with a wild, baseless assertion and finish with a totally irrelevant analogy to cars.  Hats off to you, sir!

• 2 weeks later...

Rule is that you purchase an RP3, exchange the stock subplatter for a metal one (with Groovetracer brand being the benchmark) and is up for a solid ride. You can think of future upgrades (white belt, TTPSU, cartridge) but RP3s with third-part subplatters are recognized as a definitive choice under that price tag.

Being an ex-owner of an RPM5 and having to deal with the infamous Pro-Ject motor hum, I'd recommend a Rega. I've jumped onto a P7, which is in another league but from my experience, Rega is somewhat a more established product. It's not perfect, people will complain over minor quality issues, lack of VTA adjustment and faster speed but I'm a huge fan of the simplicity of their engineering and the focus on music over aesthetics.

Rule is that you purchase an RP3, exchange the stock subplatter for a metal one (with Groovetracer brand being the benchmark) and is up for a solid ride. You can think of future upgrades (white belt, TTPSU, cartridge) but RP3s with third-part subplatters are recognized as a definitive choice under that price tag.

Being an ex-owner of an RPM5 and having to deal with the infamous Pro-Ject motor hum, I'd recommend a Rega. I've jumped onto a P7, which is in another league but from my experience, Rega is somewhat a more established product. It's not perfect, people will complain over minor quality issues, lack of VTA adjustment and faster speed but I'm a huge fan of the simplicity of their engineering and the focus on music over aesthetics.

This is helpful. Thanks

With the RP3, what cartridge would you recommend?