Best/Worst/Favorite distros for vinyl

This thread stems from the "Underoath LP" thread.

What distro's have/do you use?

What's your favorite & why?

Who's been the worst/most difficult?

I usually use No Idea, due to the sheer volume of stuff they have and the prices. I've ordered from Vinyl Collective a few times with no problems

I have used Interpunk a handful of times, although their pricey shipping vs. shitty packing makes me avoid them when possible.

Blue Collar seems to be pretty under the radar with most folks, but they package really well, have a decent selection of items/labels/artists and the company is run by some amazing people.

I also try to buy direct from labels/artists whenever possible.

Smartpunk is the worst distro I've dealt with and it sounds like a number of other posters on here have had negative experiances with them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Vinyl Collective, No Idea and littletype.com and have never had an issue.

Interpunk is fast and efficient, but shipping is high.

I like smartpunk.com sometimes (out of necessity only) and punkstop (though punkstop is often out of things they say are in stock).

Angry, Young and Poor has been good for me.

I've never used Blue Collar, I'll check it out.

vinyl collective is my new fave. when they're back up and running i'm gonna give 29 north a spin, b/c they have a HUGE selection. i haven't used them in a long time, but very distro is usually pretty good. i'll also buy direct from labels and/or bands.

deathwish is pretty awesome. i have about 10 million converge stickers because of them.

I used Angry Young And Poor for the first time a few months back and aside from being out of stock on one thing I ordered, I loved it -- great prices, super-fast shipping (I ordered on a Sunday and it showed up on Tuesday! I didn't even pay for priority mail), all-around a great experience.

No Idea rules as always, but I seem to always order shit they're actually out of stock on and my order gets held until it comes in (or I just don't get those things). Can't beat their prices, however.

I also try to order from labels where I can, but it's not always possible.

Anyone who's into pop punk should really try littletype. They let you pick shipping methods and they have a massive selection, plus it's linked to the Lookout Records store and some other small distros/labels so you can order from all of them and only pay once for shipping.

i find little type doesnt have much of what im looking for. i listen to some pop punk but not enough. also i think i might have considered ordering from there once but shipping was high. i could be wrong though and thinking of a different distro (and by high shipping i mean to Canada)

im just posting so i hit 100

Vinyl Ink, Silver Spring Md. Best ever. The guy that ran it, George, died a few years ago. I wrote an obituary for him in Rockpile Magazine because that store/distro completely altered my musical taste . Growing up in rural hell hole, that place was the only thing that kept me sane. I would mailorder records from Vinyl Ink every week when I was like 12. When he died, so did Vinyl Ink. There wasn't anything like it for me until Vinyl Collective came along.

Best:

Vinyl Collective - Never had a problem, Great shipping prices

Interpunk - Bad shipping prices but very good with not selling you something thats out of stock and fast shipping

Deathwish - good shipping prices...sent me the wrong color of an album, sent out the correct one asap and let me keep the one they sent on accident

No idea: cheap shipping and prices

ok:

blue collar distro: bad shipping prices, they seem alittle careless with shipping. only had 1 problem with them

awful:

29 north records: canceld my order with no notice and kept my money or over 2 weeks, very unprofessional. Lied to my friend saying they wre out of a record cause they ordered 2 of them. (didnt state anywhere that there was a limit on them) i mean if youre gonna limit something to 1 per customer or whatever i think thats good but let people know beforehand and dont go making rules that only apply to half of the poeple ordering

smartpunk: sells items they dont have and takes awhile to refund

interpunk is clueless when it comes to packaging a record.

revhq has good service as does verydistro. bluecollardistro is fast but i wish they had an option for media mail shipping.

ive ordered from 29north a few times and they are pretty slow, but its ran by greg from hot cross so i guess hes on tour a lot.

i stick with bluecollar mainly because hydrahead is my favorite label ever and i like to try and get everything direct from them., even if the shipping is pretty high.

as far as 29north, i ordered the isis - oceanic repress and it came lickety split, so no problems there either.

interpunk i dont even browse anymore. i tried to order boris - vein from them only to have my order canceled because they were not getting any from important records. and the packaging is horrendous.

deathwish has always been good to me, never a problem.

revhq i remember being very communicative and easy to order from, and came pretty quick, even if it has been a long time since i ordered from them.

OVERALL, i think robotic empire is my favorite. they are always the first i check for updates. they are actually one of maybe five or six websites i check every single day.

and of course theres the vinylcollective. i love the vinyl collective more and more every day.

Funny you should mention Interpunk

I've bought a lot from Interpunk over the years, and nothing's ever been damaged, but sometimes it is packed weird. The other day I got one LP in a huge box. Just one record and a bunch of paper. That can't be the most economical way to ship something.

Also agree on Robotic Empire. They update a lot and constantly have super hard to find stuff. I recently got first-pressing copies of two records that are on like their 4th pressing. It's crazy over there.

that is a pretty intense packaging job. it may be more-so their storage methods. i posted in some other thread how i received both majority rule lps out of the shrinkwrap and with some serious sleeve wear. aswell as having to return my thrice - artist in the ambulance 2LP twice due to warps. i was not pleased on either occasion.

Funny you should mention Interpunk

Also agree on Robotic Empire. They update a lot and constantly have super hard to find stuff. I recently got first-pressing copies of two records that are on like their 4th pressing. It's crazy over there.

verydistro is this way as well. they have lots of stuff that is usually considered out of print still lying around.

• 5 months later...

Currently, its Vinyl Junkie, my own distro. ha! just because i can order whatever records i like/want at wholesale straight from the labels, so pretty all my record money goes right to my distro and i just buy everything through myself, and have essentially stopped buying from other distros.

but the top distros ive used are

Very Distro (fast, friendly, and been around for a long time, so they know what they are doing)

Slave Union (hella cheap, and ran by one of the nicest dudes around)

Ebullition (same thing. cheap. been around forever, and very professional)

Bistro Distro (super fast shipping, and cheap too)

worst distros

No Idea - the catalog is way out of date, and everytime i made in order in the past, over half of it was actually out of stock. and they always took a long time to respond to emails before too.

interpunk - why anyone pays the prices they charge i will never know. plus their shipping is through the roof.

best:

no idea - cheapest around, and var & matt have been awesome in helping me track down stuff. Yeah they're shipping is a lil slow, but as a small operation myself i know how much of a bitch it is to pack and ship records.. so its not a big deal.

vc - good prices, quick shipping, lots of exclusives

fatwreck - if they had a media mail option they'd be perfect

decent -

interpunk - amazing selection... the shipping is high.. but its usually whats on the box... altho why they ship like 2 lps in a box big enough for a microwave.. ill never know.

worst

smartpunk - would never order from again.

I just ordered from Very and Interpunk recently. Very was amazing... Super quick shipping, all the records I ordered and well boxed. Interpunk was good, too... except the lack of the "Media Mail" option, so I ended up paying $15 to ship a $90 order. Kinda sucks. I had ordered from one other time a few years ago, and I was pissed... High shipping, one of the 7"s I ordered was randomly missing the sleeve. One of the LP's cover looked like it was slashed with a razor. I emailed them and I never heard back. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure why I gave them a second chance.

Insound is decent for indie rock sorta stuff.

I haven't ordered from Rev in years, so I won't comment.

Choke used to be good when they were going mail order. Going back a while, too... Vacuum was great. Super cheap prices.