Best/Worst/Favorite distros for vinyl

i used to use interpunk a lot, not so much for vinyl, but every once in a while and i never had a problem.

ive also used blue collar quite a few times and have been really happy with them. other than that i usually just go thru the label or band. but i already know im gonna spend most of my money ordering stuff from this site

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interpunk is interpunk...a pain in the ass, but the necessary evil...if nothing else a rallying point for other distros. i have never had trouble with orders from them, but yeah...the shipping charges blow.

little type is awesome. Erika is really awesome and i only had one oddball problem once when i ordered from her and she fixed it immediately.

revelation has screwed up every single order i've placed with them...so i pretty much stopped ordering shit for them years ago.

the problems include mailing things to my street address...but a incorrect city/state/zip across the country.

mailing me the correct bands 12" instead of the 7" that i ordered...

leaving out records from my orders and not crediting me.

that's all i can tink of right now...but there were more problems...

no idea i've only had marginal problems with as far as ordering goes. little things...but i must say their inventory upkeep is much better than it used to be...whew.

Very is god for oddball stuff and are usually really fast.

Vinyl collective has been flawless, even considering how swamped they are and my orders are still correct.

Fat Wreck is always fast and flawless for me too!

i'm not too familiar with all of the other distros people have mentioned but they all look cool.

i try to order direct from labels as much as possible...because i know how gratifying it is to get orders for your own releases!

Guest falloutcollapse

I've only used a few mailorders, but:

No Idea - Cheapest things I've ever seen, and they always send my stuff out promptly, and throw in random things in the packages. They rule.

Vinyl Collective - Mostly all my collection is from VC, because of how great they are at getting music I really like. Virgil is very prompt and has the best customer service ever.

Best:

VC

Deathwish

RevHQ

29North

and unfortunately, my recent experience with no idea has been terrible. it's a great distro for sure, but they forgot to ship two of the records i ordered, both a breather resist and transistor transistor LP. i assume they sent them separate, but it's been 3 days since i received the first package. their e-mail is down until the holiday break too. interpunk sucks but has a great selection. and very distro takes forever to arrive it seems.

temporary residence are excellent. always great customer service and well packaged. they also have an awesome damaged LP bit where you can get em for $5 with a regular priced order.

mylene sheath only have 4 or so bands at the moment, but the vinyl packages are awesome. custy service is brilliant - they even sent me a xmas card

robotic are always good - they do take a while to do international orders but its no bother as there is only 1 guy (andy) doing the international stuff

superfi records here in the UK have an awesome selection. kunal runs superfi and hes willing to trade for stuff he distros as well. awesome dude.

hydrahead are normally cool but they list the full price of the packaged items on the customs form so unfortunately, big orders get stung when customs gets to them.

caiman on amazon marketplace do shit packaging, but the vinyl are SOOO cheap.

inoxia are excellent packagers but their prices are pretty high.

gearhead are good, i've never had dramas with relapse, and warp records are OK.

however, never really impressed with mute and as said before, caiman suck for packaging.

little type is awesome. Erika is really awesome and i only had one oddball problem once when i ordered from her and she fixed it immediately.

Erika rules!!! She is so quick to respond and always so helpful. I've shot her random emails and she responds within seconds. She's also very good at letting you know if something is out of stock and exactly when it will be in. Plus, Littletype is cheap as hell. Fuck that, I'm going over to Littletype right now to place an order.

conspiracy records

music fear satan

kozmik artifactz

all excellent european distros

emb-online - shithouse distro. dont bother with this lot. totally automated, no cust service, very amibiguous terms and conditions, rarely holds what you want in stock. only good thing is they do not take your money until theyve dispatched your order.

As for large Canadian distros...

Scratch Records has a cool store tucked away in downtown Vancouver, but their online service is shite. They only have about a million records that are out of stock listed. One of life's greatest disappointments is thinking you found something cool and rare only to have it yanked away from you. I think the past five times I've done an order from them have all been like this.

Also, Sonic Unyon. My gf ordered from them and had no problem, but according to their website, my order made in mid-November still hasn't shipped and no one has responded to any of my emails.

Not being one who buys many punk or hardcore records these days I use a few different ones then being mentioned.

Bomp! records carries a great selection, sometimes the prices are high but sometimes you can't find the records elsewhere. Plus Suzy is great to work with, they put up records on their labels as soon as they have them instead of waiting for street date which is nice.

www.bompstore.com

www.Insound.com is fast and easy.

Midheaven mailorder is wonderful.

http://www.midheaven.com/front.html

Important records gets some interesting releases and puts out their own that are often interesting, fast and friendly.

http://www.importantrecords.com/

I tend to order direct from label as often as I can or get out to the record store for impulse buys.

Erika rules!!! She is so quick to respond and always so helpful. I've shot her random emails and she responds within seconds. She's also very good at letting you know if something is out of stock and exactly when it will be in. Plus, Littletype is cheap as hell. Fuck that, I'm going over to Littletype right now to place an order.

Yeah I just ordered a 7" from them.... excellent communication.

I am a big No Idea fan. Those guys are beyond helpful when it comes to your order, and more often than not, if you ask for something like a rare color, they'll hook you up.

I've always had good experiences with VC...good selection, nice shipping rates.

I also like Robotic Empire. They take their sweet time, but the releases they've done are phenomenal. The prices aren't too bad either, what with shipping included and all.

I am a big No Idea fan. Those guys are beyond helpful when it comes to your order, and more often than not, if you ask for something like a rare color, they'll hook you up.

I've always had good experiences with VC...good selection, nice shipping rates.

I also like Robotic Empire. They take their sweet time, but the releases they've done are phenomenal. The prices aren't too bad either, what with shipping included and all.

Those are three of my favorites. I also like Slave Union. They are good if you are into screamo (pg.99, ampere, neil perry etc.). They also have low prices and great service.

If collecting hardcore and wanting the rarest colors or lowest print runs, you have to hit up the labels directly.

Deathwish/Malfunction, Bridge Nine, 1917, Rivalry, Youngblood, Lifeline, Reflections, 6131, Think Fast!, Trash Art, etc. all are excellent labels and all offer pre-orders.

I find this is the only way to ensure you have a chance of getting all the colors of a record.

RevHq is excellent for Revelation releases (duh) but distro wise, be prepared to get the most generic versions, usually black.

Interpunk packaging is ridiculous and expensive. Be prepared for spine cuts because of the loose records.

Very is awesome these days because of their policy on shipping records outside of the outer sleeves. No more damaged covers!

I just ordered a record from Bitzcore between X-Mas and New Years and they didn't ship it until today. They didn't even respond to tell me they didn't have the record in stock until Jan. 10th. Luckily, they're replacing the record with a test press since they don't have any more but if this record ever shows up, I'll be really suprised. Sketchy as hell.

Guest genericinsight

I find it odd that everyone is saying not so great things about Rev, I've had nothing but great experiences with them and I've been using them for quite a long while. Their color vinyl selection is usually spot on, only once have I gotten a black record when it was supposedly to be on color. I was a little bummed no biggie. Plus I always get a shitload of free stuff when I order something from them.

Interpunk I try and avoid as much as possible too because of shipping. I've oddly enough never had a problem with them sending me vinyl but have received damaged CDs from them on multiple occasions.

Punkstop I've had great experiences with.

never ordered from No Idea because I keep hearing about how slow they are, that makes me a little weary.

I've also had great experiences with Blue Collar.

I just ordered a record from Bitzcore between X-Mas and New Years and they didn't ship it until today. They didn't even respond to tell me they didn't have the record in stock until Jan. 10th. Luckily, they're replacing the record with a test press since they don't have any more but if this record ever shows up, I'll be really suprised. Sketchy as hell.

i dont understand what is so sketchy....so they took 2 weeks to ship. thats really not that long of a time. granted, i like places to be quicker, but thats not ridiculous or anything.

the internet has totally spoiled mailorder in my opinion

yeah maybe. i dunno.....if they were closed for the holidays though, they may not have gotten back to work until after the 1st, which would make it only barely a week. which even by internet standards isnt too bad.

not trying to stick up for them, cause maybe they are shady, or sketchy or whatever. i guess i just dont see it based on that experience.

some places if they are out of stock, may be waiting on a return from a distributor, or another distro, or a restock, adn so it takes a week or so for them to figure out they arent gonna get it at all, and its gone for good.

once again, may not be the case in that instance, but just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.