PO- Ty Segall- Gemini

Gemini begat Twins. Gemini + volumes = Twins. In other words, Gemini is the Twins demos, recorded between 2010 and 2012 by Ty Segall and Eric Bauer. Some were followed straight through, some were departed from to get the Twins effect. Now, in Sleeper's dark, frothy wake, there's room next to Twins in this world for it's prenatal partner-in-womb, Gemini.

Gemini is LP-only, no digital, and ultra-limited, reserved for those who most need to look inside. Don't sleep as long as Gemini is in the world with you! It won't be for long. In fact, we're only gonna be selling it as a mailorder for a short period of time - like, say, just this week? Because we don't have enough to go around, that's party of the booty of Gemini. So drop your dime now and we'll have it to you by November 19th.

http://www.dragcity.com/products/gemini

$18 (free shipping as usual)

• 2 weeks later...

From Drag City's Facebook:

Gemini fever is upon us - don't get gouged in the panic! Due to overwhelming demand, Drag City will make Ty Segall's Gemini LP an unlimited edition. We're out now, but there will be additional pressings in the future. Meanwhile, pay no more than $20 US for a copy. Let's get together and shut down carpetbagging profiteers (ie, our early-responding customers, ugh!) while anticipating more great affordable music in the future. Free Gemini! Well, not free, but would $20 be too little to ask?

Cue all the melts!

To all record labels:

If you put out any ltd Ty Segall release, flippers are going to sell as many of their children as they can to buy up all the copies.

First Fuzz, now this.

Just press 2000 of them to avoid all of this.

Agreed, and also don't be shitty and call everyone who's preordering a "carpetbagging profiteer". It's bullshit to think that since I'm on all of the forums and keep my ear to the ground for exclusive releases that it means I'm going to flip this record. It also looks like it doesn't matter if you keep your eyes peeled for exclusives because there is very little incentive anymore. Hey! We have a deluxe for all of you lucky enough to be one of the first 250 to order!!!....... oh and there's another 250 we didn't tell you about and an unlimited amount being repressed indefinitely. Because a few people flip records to people who missed out the first time around and are willing to pay stupid prices, everyone just gets unlimited black vinyl, but only after being told that it's exclusive and for real fans and blah blah blah.

Wanna limit flipping? Put up a preorder. If you order now and pay now, you have until x date and you will get a first pressing limited edition. So if 2000 Ty Segall fans order this limited edition, which they have, let's say, a week to get their order in, then they get the first pressing on color out of how many people found out about it and preorderd. Every edition after that is standard black, for those who were under a rock for a week and missed out, for those who don't care or prefer black, and everyone in between . That way, it's technically limited, you were able to say "I was there and was able to get a special edition", it limits flipping because most people would have gotten one that wanted one, and an edition of 2000+ is a lot anyway. It also gives the labels working capital to get the records pressed. Seems like a win-win to me, though I like smaller editions because they're special, but whatever, I'm a collector.

If labels put out an unlimited black edition, I definitely drag my feet on getting a copy. Sometimes I put it off so long that I'm over the record and just don't buy it at all, unless it pops up in a used bin. Like that Nobunny record... since they only made 100 on color (wtf?) and I missed out, and the record is only mediocre anyway, I probably won't buy one anytime soon. A missed opportunity for them, I would have grabbed one on color for sure. Oh wait, I should bitch to the label that they didn't make enough on color and demand they make more because all 100 people that got one on color flipped it on eBay...

What a joke.

to the last post above mine:

chill_pill.preview.jpg

So if 2000 Ty Segall fans order this limited edition, which they have, let's say, a week to get their order in, then they get the first pressing on color out of how many people found out about it and preorderd.

I actually thought this is how it was gonna be for Gemini.

I never understood why labels couldn't figure out how to limit customers to 1 purchase or something like that. With the internet and labels these days it amazes me how intertwining they are trying to be with their fans yet keep a business. I mean the business is up, and that's how they make their money I get that. But to call for an end to flipping in the vinyl community is absurd. I mean if you want to end flipping, why not make every single record pressed color splattered, 180gram, gatefold etc. Oh that's right because that takes money and they can't guarantee those would all sell? I don't know I don't get it, I don't run a label. It's just dumb on Drag City's part to call out your early bird fans (who they e-mailed!) then throw them under the bus for ordering a "limited" LP that was supposed to last for the "blink of a butterflies dream" or some shit like that. 

This is what literally happened. Some mother fuckers bought 5 copies each because they probably do this for a living and ended up selling on eBay. No crime there. Drag City saw that they were selling for so high. So they get their sales team, who ever they are and tell each other, "Yo we want to press more even though we said this was super limited, like for a week too!" Then what happened was they had to justify it. "Yes! Let's get the fans what they want!" When really in the back of their minds they're thinking, "$$$"

I mean anything physical is going to take $$$ to make. 

Oh well whatever it's better everyone get's a copy, it's stupid to tell yourself, "oh my god i have a limited edition record how lucky was i? because i was on my game?" it's all a sham anyways. Something just irks me about their strategy to build hype on a record, and tell everyone how limited their shit is and it's not even limited. (Who's the flipper in that case?)

"Don't hate the player hate the game"

Agreed, and also don't be shitty and call everyone who's preordering a "carpetbagging profiteer". It's bullshit to think that since I'm on all of the forums and keep my ear to the ground for exclusive releases that it means I'm going to flip this record. It also looks like it doesn't matter if you keep your eyes peeled for exclusives because there is very little incentive anymore.

Relax dude. They are referring to people who ordered early and then sold theirs on eBay. I'm certain they aren't taking any issue with you.

Agreed, and also don't be shitty and call everyone who's preordering a "carpetbagging profiteer". It's bullshit to think that since I'm on all of the forums and keep my ear to the ground for exclusive releases that it means I'm going to flip this record. It also looks like it doesn't matter if you keep your eyes peeled for exclusives because there is very little incentive anymore. Hey! We have a deluxe for all of you lucky enough to be one of the first 250 to order!!!....... oh and there's another 250 we didn't tell you about and an unlimited amount being repressed indefinitely. Because a few people flip records to people who missed out the first time around and are willing to pay stupid prices, everyone just gets unlimited black vinyl, but only after being told that it's exclusive and for real fans and blah blah blah.

Wanna limit flipping? Put up a preorder. If you order now and pay now, you have until x date and you will get a first pressing limited edition. So if 2000 Ty Segall fans order this limited edition, which they have, let's say, a week to get their order in, then they get the first pressing on color out of how many people found out about it and preorderd. Every edition after that is standard black, for those who were under a rock for a week and missed out, for those who don't care or prefer black, and everyone in between . That way, it's technically limited, you were able to say "I was there and was able to get a special edition", it limits flipping because most people would have gotten one that wanted one, and an edition of 2000+ is a lot anyway. It also gives the labels working capital to get the records pressed. Seems like a win-win to me, though I like smaller editions because they're special, but whatever, I'm a collector.

If labels put out an unlimited black edition, I definitely drag my feet on getting a copy. Sometimes I put it off so long that I'm over the record and just don't buy it at all, unless it pops up in a used bin. Like that Nobunny record... since they only made 100 on color (wtf?) and I missed out, and the record is only mediocre anyway, I probably won't buy one anytime soon. A missed opportunity for them, I would have grabbed one on color for sure. Oh wait, I should bitch to the label that they didn't make enough on color and demand they make more because all 100 people that got one on color flipped it on eBay...

What a joke.

I wish this post was a joke but I'm sure it isn't.

If an album sells and is in demand, press it indefinitely. I think labels should stop saying that things are going to be limited. If they only planned on 500 and they sell out in 4 hours then yeah, press more. Why does it matter that you got a record that was incredibly limited and that it stay that way forever? Its music on plastic. Not Beanie Babies.

If an album sells and is in demand, press it indefinitely. I think labels should stop saying that things are going to be limited. If they only planned on 500 and they sell out in 4 hours then yeah, press more. Why does it matter that you got a record that was incredibly limited and that it stay that way forever? Its music on plastic. Not Beanie Babies.

GXBY_RP_Beanie_Babies.jpg

So you're telling me that Drag City thought they were going to be hard pressed to sell 500 copies of a Ty Segall record??? Yeah, it pisses me off when a label hypes something as super limited for those fans who are paying attention and want something special and that they are never, ever going to repress it so act fast... until it gets repressed not even two weeks later. And to boot, everyone who ordered early is now a flipper.

This is the hype from the label themselves:

Gemini is LP-only, no digital, and ultra-limited, reserved for those who most need to look inside. Don't sleep as long as Gemini is in the world with you! It won't be for long. In fact, we're only gonna be selling it as a mailorder for a short period of time - like, say, just this week? Because we don't have enough to go around, that's party of the booty of Gemini.

Here's what I think really happened. I think that Drag City made probably 500 of these LP's, intending it to keep it in print just like every other title on their site. But, seeing as that there is some serious money to be made, they hyped it up as being a one shot deal, not even a digital release so even if you want to download it, you better hope someone puts up a vinyl transfer. Then, they keep aside, I dunno, 25 or 30 records and sell them at $200ish a pop on eBay. Then after about two weeks, come out saying that everyone who preordered and made $200 per record are "carpetbagging profiteers" who should be stopped so they decide to keep this album in print indefinitely. And since no one likes a flipper apparently, it's easy for the label to point their fingers at them, all the while it was the label selling the records under various names.

Why else would they make some ridiculously low amount that everyone is scrambling for, of a band that could easily move 5000 units worldwide upon release? This is a joke.

I don't give a fuck if a label keeps music in print. Twins is an unlimited release on black vinyl. It's also one of the best pressed records recently, with very nice gatefold sleeve printed on heavy stock. I own it and don't care that it's unlimited. If they made a limited edition, sure, I would have tried to get it, and been upset if I missed out, but I'd still have the black vinyl. That's part of being a record collector!

You're missing the point. You think I'm upset because I'm not getting something limited? That's not it at this point. It's the bullshit marketing tactics that are taking place, and they seem to be centering around Ty Segall projects currently. First, In The Red with their outright lies about how many deluxe records were made, and at $50 a pop! Then, this fiasco with Gemini. And currently ongoing is the "authorized bootleg" of the Ty Segall Band live LP. Does it exist? Doesn't it? Does Ty know? Where did that mystery box of records come from when shipped to a Easy Rider Records, who have conveniently put out his records in the past? And why hasn't it gone on sale if they have it? They sure do like to post pictures confirming its existence, though, even spouting off about how there's only 200 made (and how would they know if they didn't make it or know who did?).

Do you see a common theme here?

I explained my frustration and it had nothing to do with omg I can't have something limited and everything to do with manufactured scarcity and deceptive marketing.

Once again, read the labels own marketing hype and tell me how they initially wanted everyone to have this release:

Gemini is LP-only, no digital, and ultra-limited, reserved for those who most need to look inside. Don't sleep as long as Gemini is in the world with you! It won't be for long. In fact, we're only gonna be selling it as a mailorder for a short period of time - like, say, just this week? Because we don't have enough to go around, that's party of the booty of Gemini.

They only wanted everyone to have it after they sold a bunch for $200 on eBay. Mark my words, the label was behind flipping their own albums. There is no other reason for the bullshit super duper limited don't sleep on it hype, from a label that doesn't even do color variants unless they wanted manufactured scarcity so they could sell records for $200 each on eBay. Ty Segall can easily move 3000-5000 on an initial pressing of an album. There is no need for this hype. His shit sells.

Drag is a great label for a long time, they don't do limited editions often, so they are just pressing more to serve the fans and earn some money. Normmal and no problem.

Personally i like records more if they are limited, it feels nice if not 5000 people have it but 500. But if you don't care that is healthy i think.

And god forbid a press release/email blast tries to entice people to purchase something as soon as possible.

I'm sure they figured the demand for an LP of demos of an album fans already have wouldn't have been so huge. Especially in a year where he has another new album out plus a side project album.

And maybe saying "limited" is what drove the demand. It's pretty awesome not them to just say 'fuck it' and press more. I think the only people who should be pissed here are the people who wanted something super limited. And those people are weird.

Nope, it's just a theory. But why else would they manufacture scarcity for an artist that can move thousands, and then brag about how you shouldn't sleep on it because it's one and done. Then "get pissed" when they're selling on eBay for $200 each, and wait about two weeks before deciding more need to be made because of "overwhelming demand". If they were trying to shut down flippers, they wouldn't have manufactured scarcity, and then took two weeks to let everyone know more would be made due to "overwhelming demand". Also, like I pointed out before, Drag City doesn't do variants or limited editions to begin with, which makes it all the more sketchy.

Also, this comes hot on the heels of the In The Red record which was marketed under similar circumstances, and the live "authorized bootleg" that's supposedly limited to 200....

It's a theory, but one that I feel is more than plausible...