Funko Pop Vinyl Figures

7/11? Really? That seems like a jumping-the-shark sign to me.

Small individually owned comic shops have variants - they seem to work with anyone who is willing to pay for them.

All of the stores around me had no idea what I was talking about. From internet research it looks like corporate stores will have them and franchises are hit and miss

Yeah, I've only run into one that had Pops! at all and no exclusives... Most have no idea what they even are.

Go figure.

Okay, so I've seen these things popping up a lot lately. Officially decided to start collecting when a saw a Toothless figure at my 7/11.

Would anyone being willing to give me a rundown on these things? Just good to know information before I start collecting?

Random facts? Rarest figure? Noticed special variants, what's with that? IDK anything so I'm not going in blind.

Okay, so I've seen these things popping up a lot lately. Officially decided to start collecting when a saw a Toothless figure at my 7/11.

Would anyone being willing to give me a rundown on these things? Just good to know information before I start collecting?

Random facts? Rarest figure? Noticed special variants, what's with that? IDK anything so I'm not going in blind.

Right, so;

Random facts? I'm not sure yet - maybe I'll think of some as I go along...

Rarest figure? Depends on how you look at it... some people collect the prototype sculpts that come in white and colored vinyl and are limited to a few items each... but since those are basically the test presses of the toy world - the SDCC Fun-Days event mascot figures are pretty damn rare in some cases. Each year around SDCC they have a huge fan event and they give away / sell all kinds of rare prototypes and what are known as "Freddies" which are figures of 'Freddy Funko' their mascot. They will put out limited run versions of figures with his head stylized on the body of some of that years best selling sculpts like this year there was a Deadpool Freddy - or probably the most sought after of these - the Batman Freddy from years ago.

All of that being the Alex from A Clockwork Orange is also REALLY damn rare and arguable the most valuable.

There are a few kinds of variants - most series have a "chase" variant which was / is limited production like for every 32 regular Freddy Kruger there is a Bloody version - those are pretty standard and come in styles like "bloody" for the horror series, "metallic" for the comic book ones typically... glow-in-the-dark, black and white, etc.

Then there are retail / event exclusive variants like the Patina Dark Knight Batman from SDCC a while back, for which the sculpt is exactly the same as the mass-released dark knight figure but the paint job is weathered. 

General rule of thumb with collecting these - almost all of these are limited and there is no telling when they will retire a figure - also as seen recently with the early Batman villains, no telling when they will bring them back..

Right, so;

Random facts? I'm not sure yet - maybe I'll think of some as I go along...

Rarest figure? Depends on how you look at it... some people collect the prototype sculpts that come in white and colored vinyl and are limited to a few items each... but since those are basically the test presses of the toy world - the SDCC Fun-Days event mascot figures are pretty damn rare in some cases. Each year around SDCC they have a huge fan event and they give away / sell all kinds of rare prototypes and what are known as "Freddies" which are figures of 'Freddy Funko' their mascot. They will put out limited run versions of figures with his head stylized on the body of some of that years best selling sculpts like this year there was a Deadpool Freddy - or probably the most sought after of these - the Batman Freddy from years ago.

All of that being the Alex from A Clockwork Orange is also REALLY damn rare and arguable the most valuable.

There are a few kinds of variants - most series have a "chase" variant which was / is limited production like for every 32 regular Freddy Kruger there is a Bloody version - those are pretty standard and come in styles like "bloody" for the horror series, "metallic" for the comic book ones typically... glow-in-the-dark, black and white, etc.

Then there are retail / event exclusive variants like the Patina Dark Knight Batman from SDCC a while back, for which the sculpt is exactly the same as the mass-released dark knight figure but the paint job is weathered. 

General rule of thumb with collecting these - almost all of these are limited and there is no telling when they will retire a figure - also as seen recently with the early Batman villains, no telling when they will bring them back..

THANK YOU! Super helpful. I'm getting really excited about collecting these. Went through a list of them online and already picked out like 20 that I want hahah! 

I'll definitely try to be a contributing member to this thread as well.

Btw where's the best place to purchase these? and is the a specific website or source that's good for keeping up on new releases?

Edit: Woah that Patina Dark Knight Batman is pretty epic looking. The Freddy Funko variants are interesting.

Edit 2: Noticed there's a few that aren't just figurines, but bobble heads as well (want Groot). Is that a whole separate line?

I'll definitely try to be a contributing member to this thread as well.

Btw where's the best place to purchase these? and is the a specific website or source that's good for keeping up on new releases?

Edit: Woah that Patina Dark Knight Batman is pretty epic looking. The Freddy Funko variants are interesting.

Edit 2: Noticed there's a few that aren't just figurines, but bobble heads as well (want Groot). Is that a whole separate line?

Website wise? Fugitive Toys, and Gemini Collectibles are top for North America. Other decent sources include Entertainment Earth, Big Bad Toy Store, and surprisingly Hot Topic.

Also, store wise: Barnes and Noble, Hot Topic, and Comic Shops are probably your best bet but Walmart, Walgreens, and 7/11 also carry them in limited numbers (and very rarely, Gamestops)

Also; the bobble heads are the same line, I only know of them with the Marvel series and I think they make them that way because someone owns the rights to make Marvel "toys" and bobble-heads aren't toys but collectibles.

Website wise? Fugitive Toys, and Gemini Collectibles are top for North America. Other decent sources include Entertainment Earth, Big Bad Toy Store, and surprisingly Hot Topic.

Also, store wise: Barnes and Noble, Hot Topic, and Comic Shops are probably your best bet but Walmart, Walgreens, and 7/11 also carry them in limited numbers (and very rarely, Gamestops)

Also; the bobble heads are the same line, I only know of them with the Marvel series and I think they make them that way because someone owns the rights to make Marvel "toys" and bobble-heads aren't toys but collectibles.

Damn, really appreciate all the information.

Just bought my first one a few minutes ago from 7/11. Toothless! Love that movie (as seen in my sig haha)

I don't know if any of you have heard of Lootcrate, but it's a subscription service that sends you a themed box of goodies every month.  The August theme is heroes and for the first time, it's gonna have an exclusive POP figure. It's $20ppd a month (and they usually have promo codes for your first month). For more info or to subscribe, you can go here: (full disclosure- it's my referral link)

http://mbsy.co/lootcrate/9717115

I want Castiel and Dean so bad. I've only seen Sam in person. I refuse to let this Winged Castiel pass through my fingers. Also, is there a variant of Ash from Evil Dead/ Army of Darkness?

Dean isn't too hard to find. $10 on most sites. Castiel is the hard one. Just check your local hot topics. And i would just follow hot topic and funko for announcements. Both Castiel figures are Hot Topic exclusives. 

I'm really waiting for the Stagman/Wendigo figure from Hannibal to go on sale. I mean, look at it:

0iYGSuz.jpg

Dean isn't too hard to find. $10 on most sites. Castiel is the hard one. Just check your local hot topics. And i would just follow hot topic and funko for announcements. Both Castiel figures are Hot Topic exclusives.

I'm really waiting for the Stagman/Wendigo figure from Hannibal to go on sale. I mean, look at it:

0iYGSuz.jpg

Supernatural merch of any type flies off of the racks when they get it in here. There's a mass of fans somewhere that I don't know about. If anybody sees one, let me know.

Are these things a pain to ship?

Was thinking about trying to pick up some 7/11 exclusives for people.

Mehhhh not really? Like records just save the shipping supplies you get if you order any offline.

I also have a bunch of bubblewrap around so it's not a huge deal for me.

I just wrap the box loosely in bubblewrap and then add some newspaper to fill the excess space in the box.

Fugitive Toys also sells "pop protectors" which are like little plastic cases that fit over the boxes? but the only ones I have came on the more expensive ones I bought aftermarket.

Which reminds me; I've decided to downsize my collection and focus on only the Batman related figures for now - so I have a handful of these for sale if anyone would be interested.

Mehhhh not really? Like records just save the shipping supplies you get if you order any offline.

I also have a bunch of bubblewrap around so it's not a huge deal for me.

I just wrap the box loosely in bubblewrap and then add some newspaper to fill the excess space in the box.

Fugitive Toys also sells "pop protectors" which are like little plastic cases that fit over the boxes? but the only ones I have came on the more expensive ones I bought aftermarket.

Which reminds me; I've decided to downsize my collection and focus on only the Batman related figures for now - so I have a handful of these for sale if anyone would be interested.

So looks like the best thing would be to order a few online and keep the shipping box. Don't have boxes around the house that size.

Your downsizing, I'm upsizing. Have a list?