The Beatles - White Album XONE.HUNDRED /450

I remember hearing about this months ago and hearing he wanted to do an LP to go with the "white album only record-store" art installation, I didn't think he'd actually have the audacity to go through with it though.

Art or not, this is still clearly infringement. And everyone knows his name too, not some faceless bootlegger. And now he's copying artwork and selling it too? I'm actually really tempted to buy this only because it will get shut down quicker than... I don't know what.

I wonder who's the mastering studio and pressing plant that actually allowed this project to go through.

I agree with this. But at the same time it would be pretty strange for him to proceed with this without some knowledge of the copyright infringement. Someone must have mentioned it to him after reading the article in the NY Times? Then again artists can be oblivious to such things. If it is the latter this will probably get shut down before even making it to printing and people will be refunded.

Everyone has a different definition. In my opinion, art is passionate creation, and I would say that this falls under that category. This guy seemed to have fun making this.

its pretty much the definition of art.  he played 800 copies of a record and layered them over one another and managed to make a tangible product that has both aesthetic and physical value.  well done sir.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the publishing rights to the songs is different than owning the rights to the recording of the White Album.

Correct, the recordings are now owned by Sir Universal Music.

That makes sense, but I can't find any details about the difference in publishing rights vs. recordings. Point me to a link, please?

I don't think it said one way or another how many copies were pressed.

Didn't he have 800 copies in his "store" and the album was a mix of 100 copies?

It's possible he is sold out.

I read on multiple sites/blogs that the sale site initially said there were 800 copies pressed and then that was removed. But maybe there was just a mix up.

I read on multiple sites/blogs that the sale site initially said there were 800 copies pressed and then that was removed. But maybe there was just a mix up.

There was not 800 copies made (there was more, Im guessing 1000 by emails from the guy running this.)  The guy that made the record owns 800 original copies of the white album, of those he choose 100 copies to make this mix.

http://100whitealbums.tumblr.com/

There was not 800 copies made (there was more, Im guessing 1000 by emails from the guy running this.)  The guy that made the record owns 800 original copies of the white album, of those he choose 100 copies to make this mix.

http://100whitealbums.tumblr.com/

***This***