PO: Third Eye Blind boxset

I don't understand. What is the appeal of this 90s band whose musical rivals at the time were Matchbox 20 and Fastball? I remember it being really generic pop-rock that still plays on Mix to this day. Is there something I'm missing? I just don't get why anyone would pay hundreds for their stuff.

I don't understand. What is the appeal of this 90s band whose musical rivals at the time were Matchbox 20 and Fastball? I remember it being really generic pop-rock that still plays on Mix to this day. Is there something I'm missing? I just don't get why anyone would pay hundreds for their stuff.

Just because their contemporaries on the radio were virtually adult alternative rock, doesn't mean they should be completely be thrown out with the bathwater. In my opinion the Cadogan (guitarist for S/T and Blue) albums transcend that whole genre. They had the hooks to sell singles and move millions of records, but their true value is held in the deeper stuff. Listen to the D-side tracks from S/T, or The Red Summer Sun, Darkness or Wounded from Blue and tell me that stuff isn't as good as anything that post-grunge alt rock put out. It's bursting with confidence and straight up rocking out swagger. 

Now in my opinion they lost a little on OOTV and Ursa, that while still good, they lacked the immediacy and really just the cohesive songcraft of the first two. But I'd put the first two up against anything from that era and I'm willing to bet many feel the same. 

As good as this band is/was, they could have been so much better. Too bad #jenkins is a mega asshole.

Their unreleased stuff is better than most of their actually released stuff. Ursa sucked something terrible but the live stuff they were playing prior to its recording/completion was incredible.

to really understand how misunderstood this band was listen to the singles from blue vs the non singles. Never let you go & deep inside of you, hell no. red summer sun and darkness, fuck yes.

Same with the self titled. Thanks a lot, good for you, and the last 4 tracks of the album, jumper and semi charmed life have nothing on them.

I must agree here...Self Titled album is almost flawless for a rock/pop record, but like someone said earlier...its the deep cuts that highlight this album (The Background, Motorcycle Drive-By, God Of Wine).

As for Blue - when I first heard it, I was just "ehhh" about it, but as I listened more, I came to appreciate how diverse of a record it was sonically, and how much the band had matured in only two years.

Anyways - I will always recommend a few listens to these two albums!

I have to agree the S/T is a near perfect album.  Blue is also terrific.  For me there is a lot of nostalgia surrounded with the two albums.  S/T came out in middle school and Blue in high school.  Different songs bring back different memories, some good, some bad, which is true for all music, but more so 3EB for me.  There's certain times where one of these albums and only one of these album will fit my mood.