Circa Survive Discography Reissue ?

That's the kicker here.  A band of Circa's popularity and success has zero reason to press a limited amount of vinyl and ask $30+ PPD for them.  Your "supply vs. demand" argument is irrelevant: they're selling the same record that they sold for $15 a few years back.  Presumably from the exact same masters.  They're not including bonus material.  They're not expanding the packaging.  They're not using any additional resources.  But they're charging [roughly] twice as much.  Why?  Because they know people will pay it.

Like it's been said in this thread - and many more - it all comes down to standing your ground and voting with your dollar.  I know I praise Deathwish quite a bit, but honestly; look at the facts.  Converge's seminal album Jane Doe used to fetch prices that rival Juturna and OLG.  It was out of print for years; when it was repressed, the label included an additional 11" x 11" colored booklet, and still asked standard retail price for it.  Could Deathwish have charged $40 a copy, and still had the album sell at tremendous speeds?  I have no doubt about it.  But they didn't ask $40, because they're not dicks.  And we didn't pay $40, because we're not desperate.

And regarding that last bold bit.  Who am I to bitch?  I'm just another music / vinyl nerd on an online community, like yourself.  We're all entitled to an opinion here.  And mine just so happens to be that Circa dug deep on this one.  I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm still going to have a hearty laugh if Friday rolls around, and EVR is asking < $18 per LP with sane shipping costs.  If you disagree with my post or think that $30+ single LPs are justifiable "because they're in demand", that's your problem.  I can respect your opinion, but don't beat your chest or question my right to voice my thoughts.  Thanks.

[edit]

Your missing a huge fact though, Deathwish is owned by Jaccob Bannon so they can control all production of the records and costs that go into making the records. The re-releases of jane doe are from deathwish but contracted through Equal visions.  Plus converge is just fucking amazing. Converge > Circa any day of the week, but Circa has no say in what the record label that has the rights to those albums uses as a production. Your argument is so mute and wrong it makes my head spin. if you think for a second that Circa pressed these with their own money you are kidding yourselves. Why do you think Equal Visions has a portion of the records?? BECAUSE THEY PAID FOR THEM and had them manufactured! I know they aren't on that label now but I damn well gaurentee you that they own all publishing rights for those albums. Look at the A day to remember Lawsuit where they made all of the records by themselves but their old label still gets a cut of the profits because they are still under a publishing agreement for one more album.  If you really think that circa as a band got around and was like "hey lets charge 25$ instead of the $15 we charged 3 and a half years ago" your mistaken. Have you ever heard of the statement "Our costs go up, your costs go up?" Well I am sure this is probably what happened.

To be honest what got me into collecting vinyl is the rarity of them. I have gems in my collection that I love because they are rare and I own one, some aren't even out of press but I love them none the same.  If they were all mass produced with unlimited numbers it would ruin the fun for some people. I love LISTENING to music, but collecting has allowed me to own a part of the music I love instead of wasting money on a CD. Its like collecting coins, its the hunt or rarity which makes that hobby fun for people. If all they had to do was purchase from a never ending supply then whats the point? If you really think that unlimited pressings of records is a solution then please re-think.

You and people who think like you are fuckin' high.

You create this problem by buying into the bullshit hype of rarity and labels will feed on that. The vinyl format was created for storing sound and playing it back. They're not fucking trading cards or pogs or beanie babies unless you treat them like they are. The point is to enjoy the music on a particular format. Everyone has their own reason but your reason is annoying.

Your missing a huge fact though, Deathwish is owned by Jaccob Bannon so they can control all production of the records and costs that go into making the records. The re-releases of jane doe are from deathwish but contracted through Equal visions.  Plus converge is just fucking amazing. Converge > Circa any day of the week, but Circa has no say in what the record label that has the rights to those albums uses as a production. Your argument is so mute and wrong it makes my head spin. if you think for a second that Circa pressed these with their own money you are kidding yourselves. Why do you think Equal Visions has a portion of the records?? BECAUSE THEY PAID FOR THEM and had them manufactured! I know they aren't on that label now but I damn well gaurentee you that they own all publishing rights for those albums. Look at the A day to remember Lawsuit where they made all of the records by themselves but their old label still gets a cut of the profits because they are still under a publishing agreement for one more album.  If you really think that circa as a band got around and was like "hey lets charge 25$ instead of the $15 we charged 3 and a half years ago" your mistaken. Have you ever heard of the statement "Our costs go up, your costs go up?" Well I am sure this is probably what happened.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Circa Survive - as a band - were responsible for setting the price on these.  But if they aren't, who is?  Equal Vision?  They handled the initial presses of Juturna and OLG, correct?  And unless I'm missing something, it was nearly half the total cost to order from them back in... 2007?  2008?  And I think we can rule out "rising costs in vinyl and vinyl production" as a factor that'd inflate the total costs by nearly 100%, don't you think?

So I apologize on behalf of my previous phrasing; I don't mean to point my finger at the band.  But whether it was the band, your label, or your mom; the fact is that someone decided $34 was an acceptable price to set these records at.  And at the end of the day, that's fucked any way you look at it.

Just my $0.02.  I enjoy owning a limited piece of wax just as much as the next guy, but there are boundaries.

Deathwish satisfies everyone. They have variants, so if you like the hunt, you can go for it. They also keep stuff in print, so if you just want a copy and don't care about rarity, you can get a copy (and their packaging has been awesome in my experiences) and listen without having to jump through hoops.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Circa Survive - as a band - were responsible for setting the price on these.  But if they aren't, who is?  Equal Vision?  They handled the initial presses of Juturna and OLG, correct?  And unless I'm missing something, it was nearly half the total cost to order from them back in... 2007?  2008?

So I apologize on behalf of my previous phrasing; I don't mean to point my finger at the band.  But whether it was the band, your label, or your mom; the fact is that someone decided $34 was an acceptable price to set these records at.  And at the end of the day, that's fucked any way you look at it.

Just my $0.02.  I enjoy owning a limited piece of wax just as much as the next guy, but there are boundaries.

On 1/19/10 OLG and Juturna cost $14.99 each. Just looked at my receipt. Three years adds $10. I'm not blaming the Circa dudes but someone is screwing someone.

I have not read through this thread so I dunno if this has been mentioned yet but Hot Topic will have exclusive colors on Juturn and OLG

Juturna on orange limited to 1000

OLG on blue limited to 1000

Both are $19.99

Available 12/17 in select HT stores and online.

I have not read through this thread so I dunno if this has been mentioned yet but Hot Topic will have exclusive colors on Juturn and OLG

Both are $19.99

Thank you for saving the holidays.

Both are $19.99

Well this solves everything. Hot Topic to the rescue once again.