Possible EARTH represses?

I also enjoy every album from them but they're dangerously starting to walk circles. From Hex (my favourite from SL era) to Demons Of Light 2, it's all brilliant music but the latest one sounded as they were extracting every last bit of possibility. And that becomes clear with most of his dr.carlsonalbion, where it doesn't move far away from what Earth has been doing (except for that first cassette on Tapeworm, that was a bit of unexpected).

New album was recorded in the desert at QotSA's favourite Rancho de La Luna. Perhaps that's a sing of upcoming new fresh air, Dylan is very talented and won't play safe.

Guest Justin Maheiny

43821224.jpg

That was pretty funny.

But hard to believe when your only involvement in this thread and several others is to comment on something I've said. Creepy forum warrior.

This may be a dumb question but i'm a big fan of the band, and curious as hell. Is the new stuff and slow western jams or more in the vein of Angels of Darkness LPs?

The new stuff was more like Bees Made Honey with a bit more aggression in the tone. He did say at this point nothing is set in stone but I quite enjoyed it.

The new stuff was more like Bees Made Honey with a bit more aggression in the tone. He did say at this point nothing is set in stone but I quite enjoyed it.

I saw them play a few new songs in Portland and they were great. I agree that they were more Bees Made Honey sounding. Badger is going to be my new favorite Earth song.

I love the different styles of Earth. I love how you can't really say they have one particular style of music, and how even there are differences in the newer stuff. I wish more bands were like this, rather than going the easy route.  

I always thought of their two different "sounds" with having to do more with dylan being a drug addict and then being a sober guy. The early material is pretty unrefined, but has moments of genius to it. I mean, EArth 2 is such an insane record to me, even thought there's tons of records out there like that. The first time I heard it was like "wtf is this?", which is a good thing.

The only thing I didn't really like was the LP on troubleman unlimited. Gleaming the Cube or whatever it was called.

I would say my favorite is defintiely Hex. It's a beautiful brilliant album with zero lows to it, and I also think it was such an abrupt change in their sound that it really confused some of their earlier fans. It also seemed like such a transition for the guy on a personal level, but I dont know him or anything. It was just nice to see him getting his act together and creating music again.

1mez3.png

I saw them play a few new songs in Portland and they were great. I agree that they were more Bees Made Honey sounding. Badger is going to be my new favorite Earth song.

Damn, I believe you (and lehooch) and I were at the same show.  I agree that the new tracks are shaping up to be pretty awesome, and reminiscent of Bees Made Honey in the best ways possible.

This thread inspired me to listen to his Drcarlsonalbion project, which has been waiting for its' time on my hard drive for quite a while. So good.

As to him getting better at music after ditching drugs, it seems to me it also has a lot to do with generally taking a new approach to making music in the first place. But then again, I reckon that sobering up did play a major role in him getting better and into a different approach, as he also elaborates here, among many other things, in this very well done interview with him.  Highly recommended reading.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2011/04/interview-dylan-carlson-earth/

1mez3.png

Damn, I believe you (and lehooch) and I were at the same show.  I agree that the new tracks are shaping up to be pretty awesome, and reminiscent of Bees Made Honey in the best ways possible.

Portland is a small place. Gybe slayed. Earth could have played louder. Which one of you was wearing the Sunn shirt?

Earth could have played louder.

I've seen Earth four times in various venues and I don't recall them being particularly loud at any of them.  They were very good every time, just not really loud.  This has all happened in the last 5 years, I'm guessing they were much louder during their Sub Pop days.

Portland is a small place. Gybe slayed. Earth could have played louder. Which one of you was wearing the Sunn shirt?

My bad; I got my shows mixed up. I caught them headlining in Seattle, actually. I was bummed they didn't tag along with Godspeed in San Francisco, earlier this year. That was a phenomenal show, though having Earth open would have been icing on the cake.

I'm not sure if I was wearing my Sunn shirt, but I was up front and middle both nights. Such great shows.

I'm not sure if I was wearing my Sunn shirt, but I was up front and middle both nights. Such great shows.

I was so terribly exhausted from work on friday that i was having trouble keeping myself upright. I was leaning against the rail in front of the speakers, stage left. Was a great show, wish i had caught a second wind, though. Not a huge earth fan in all honesty, just have a solid appreciation for what they have done. I am happy to have gotten the chance to see them. I dont make it to many shows these days.

Will likely get a copy of hex when i get a chance.

personally, their past 2 releases have been my favorite

Same. I totally agree with you about the awesomeness of those Godspeed shows in Portland. Two of the best nights of my life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yes, I know its not hard to get... I have a copy that I spun twice. Bought it upon recommendation from a friend. Never got into it and tried again the other day. Still have no interest. I posed the question cause I am happy to give it away for free but wanted to make sure it goes to a fan of their music, rather than somebody just wanting a free record.

Feel like I should jump on that

seeing as u have interest, ill give ya first dibs. Pm me if u want it.

Guest Justin Maheiny

yes, I know its not hard to get... I have a copy that I spun twice. Bought it upon recommendation from a friend. Never got into it and tried again the other day. Still have no interest. I posed the question cause I am happy to give it away for free but wanted to make sure it goes to a fan of their music, rather than somebody just wanting a free record.

I had assumed it was hard to get since it was getting repressed. You're right though. Free is definitely a better price.