OUT NOW: La Dispute - Rooms of the House

Why is every band in the scene using Will Yip? You can deny it all you want but most the records he produced this year have very similar sounds, from bands who didn't sound similar "pre-Yip".

I don't like la dispute at all but I'll probably end up giving this a listen. Who knows, maybe it won't be annoying and wordy as hell.

Why is every band in the scene using Will Yip? You can deny it all you want but most the records he produced this year have very similar sounds, from bands who didn't sound similar "pre-Yip".

I don't like la dispute at all but I'll probably end up giving this a listen. Who knows, maybe it won't be annoying and wordy as hell.

Will Yip produced records from Pity Sex, Daylight, Citizen, Koji, Balance and Composure, and Polar Bear Club (to name a few) - yes all those records sound the same good job good effort.

Everyone is using Will Yip because he's charging about half what every other producers charge. I'm not gonna air specifics but a huge reason bands are drawn to him is that he does top notch work for half the cost.

Everyone is using Will Yip because he's charging about half what every other producers charge. I'm not gonna air specifics but a huge reason bands are drawn to him is that he does top notch work for half the cost.

do you know will? been trying to get in touch with him for a few weeks no with no luck. 

Hmmm. How many records has he done where you're aware of how much they cost?

I would go as far as saying not one band that he's recorded an LP for this year went with him because of how low he charged them. 

I would go as far as saying not one band that he's recorded an LP for this year went with him because of how low he charged them.

I don't know or care how much he charges... But It seems you may have missed where he said "he does top notch work"

If you read my post I said bands use him because he does amazing work for half the cost of other producers of his caliber. its not just the cost its how great the work is for how little he charges. I'm not saying anything bad about Will as all i've heard about him are great things.

If you read my post I said bands use him because he does amazing work for half the cost of other producers of his caliber. its not just the cost its how great the work is for how little he charges. I'm not saying anything bad about Will as all i've heard about him are great things.

No, I don't think you were trying to insult him, you clearly stated that you weren't, but that doesn't make what you said true. Some bands record in 5 days with him and some for 6 weeks or more so I would imagine his projects range in price a whole lot, but either way, he doesn't charge half of what other engineers of his calibre charge based on daily rates. A band like La Dispute could really record with anyone they wanted to. I imagine he was their first choice for reasons that had nothing to do with money. 

Will Yip produced records from Pity Sex, Daylight, Citizen, Koji, Balance and Composure, and Polar Bear Club (to name a few) - yes all those records sound the same good job good effort.

i guess similar means the same thing as "same" in your world! good job good effort

Was debating on the 2014 sub mostly for this record. Glad I waited on that! Wonder why they chose to self release over go with No Sleep, or any other label for that matter?

well it's not *technically* a self-release because it's being done via partnership with Staple Records (i.e. Vagrant) so the band is probably doing a licensing or services deal with Vagrant. use Vagrant in-house, split profit, etc

none of those records really sound similar though - each has its own unique sound and style.  please go into more depth with your opinion that it all sounds similar please.  

i find that they, for the most part, have a distinct fuzziness, and are more reserved and monotone than the bands previous releases.  thats just me though, and i'm bad at describing it, so that probably makes no sense.