OUT NOW: La Dispute - Rooms of the House

To the "all Yip records sound the same" subscribers: Are you missing the idea where all artists (in this case, producers of music) have a style that they identify by?  For example, I know as a photographer that I gravitate towards towards other more accomplished photographers who share a style that I enjoy.  It's also a fact that ultimately when a couple chooses a wedding photographer, a lot of times they pick a photographer who has a style in which they as a couple enjoy and prefer over others.  Why is it such a big deal that, aside from this news of Yip being 1/2 the cost of most other producers, certain bands gravitate towards Yip for the work he produces?  His style is more grunge-y.  So?  Maybe these bands like that sound.  I mean most of you like certain genres of music.  Nobody's telling you that all the bands you like sound the same.

"Somewhere at the Bottom" is my favorite of theirs, but "Wildlife" has some ridiculously good tracks (King Park, I See Everything, Unison). I think these guys will have no problem releasing another fantastic album. I've listened the other two to death, so it will be nice having something new to hear.

This will also be the first time I've ever missed them live in the San Francisco Bay Area, unfortunately (I'll be in LA for The Sound of Animals Fighting... maybe I'll leave a day early to see LD there).

"experimental post-hardcore?"

What should I call them?

"post-hardcore"

Shit, guys, I didn't know we were gonna' debate genres on the internet this afternoon.  Give me a sec to prepare.

tumblr_mg2k4es6ye1qa7aydo5_500.gif

Everybody is wrong. They are Poetcore. Get it right.

Understatement.

But maybe NS will do the vinyl pressing... Sleeping on Trash was part of the 2013 sub and TWY is on Hopeless. I don't really know how that works.

Sleeping on Trash is a bsides compilation, bsides that existed on No Sleep released albums. They could release that without interfering with the new Hopeless contract. I'd say the chances of NS pressing this are non existent.

To the "all Yip records sound the same" subscribers: Are you missing the idea where all artists (in this case, producers of music) have a style that they identify by? For example, I know as a photographer that I gravitate towards towards other more accomplished photographers who share a style that I enjoy. It's also a fact that ultimately when a couple chooses a wedding photographer, a lot of times they pick a photographer who has a style in which they as a couple enjoy and prefer over others. Why is it such a big deal that, aside from this news of Yip being 1/2 the cost of most other producers, certain bands gravitate towards Yip for the work he produces? His style is more grunge-y. So? Maybe these bands like that sound. I mean most of you like certain genres of music. Nobody's telling you that all the bands you like sound the same.

It's not that Yip's production makes the bands sound the same. It's that they're all muddy sounding productions. Pity Sex, Light Years, PBC, & B&C's albums don't sound the same as in the same genre, they're just all very flat sounding. I will say that for Pity Sex it worked, and Daylight's "Jar" is more dynamic sounding than the others he worked on this year.

To my ears the records lack a certain "punch." I noticed it in a few albums I had listened to this year, and eventually realized the common denominator was him. It would be as if all of the photographers you enjoy submitted photos to a magazine and the editor put all of their unique photographs through the "kelvin" Instagram filter and published them at 72dpi.

He has his style and that's fine. Some like it, some don't. I'm interested to hear how this turns out.

Sleeping on Trash is a bsides compilation, bsides that existed on No Sleep released albums. They could release that without interfering with the new Hopeless contract. I'd say the chances of NS pressing this are non existent.

That does make sense.

I talked to a guy at the No Sleep tent at Warped Tour a couple years ago about The Wonder Years and he basically said they have something like a double contract. They're signed to Hopeless, but No Sleep does their vinyl. Not sure if that was the case with The Greatest Generation, but I recall Suburbia having both a Hopeless and No Sleep logo on it.

It's not that Yip's production makes the bands sound the same. It's that they're all muddy sounding productions. Pity Sex, Light Years, PBC, & B&C's albums don't sound the same as in the same genre, they're just all very flat sounding. I will say that for Pity Sex it worked, and Daylight's "Jar" is more dynamic sounding than the others he worked on this year.

To my ears the records lack a certain "punch." I noticed it in a few albums I had listened to this year, and eventually realized the common denominator was him. It would be as if all of the photographers you enjoy submitted photos to a magazine and the editor put all of their unique photographs through the "kelvin" Instagram filter and published them at 72dpi.

He has his style and that's fine. Some like it, some don't. I'm interested to hear how this turns out.

I absolutely see where you are coming from, you are saying it's more of a quality issue than a style.

That does make sense.

I talked to a guy at the No Sleep tent at Warped Tour a couple years ago about The Wonder Years and he basically said they have something like a double contract. They're signed to Hopeless, but No Sleep does their vinyl. Not sure if that was the case with The Greatest Generation, but I recall Suburbia having both a Hopeless and No Sleep logo on it.

Didn't happen for TGG, hence the records sounding like garbage.

Didn't happen for TGG, hence the records sounding like garbage.

Yes, Hopeless doesn't seem to care about quality vinyl.

I feel like since La Dispute has released a few things off No Sleep (all of which have had several pressings), they might be inclined to let No Sleep handle the vinyl for this release. 

Yes, Hopeless doesn't seem to care about quality vinyl.

I feel like since La Dispute has released a few things off No Sleep (all of which have had several pressings), they might be inclined to let No Sleep handle the vinyl for this release.

It's been said a bunch in this thread but apparently needs repeating. NO SLEEP WILL NOT BE DOING THE VINYL. No Sleep has nothing to do with this. Everything will be done through Staple/Better Living

It's been said a bunch in this thread but apparently needs repeating. NO SLEEP WILL NOT BE DOING THE VINYL. No Sleep has nothing to do with this. Everything will be done through Staple/Better Living

I think though that sometimes bands can have what's called a double contract cos I was speaking to some guy who knows some band at some festival and he said you can have contracts that say stuff like that and shit so it's not entirely impossible that No Sleeping will do the vinyl. No Sleeps do good vinyl so it makes sense that they do a The Dispute vinyl no matter what other label Las Disputes is with and stuff.

I think though that sometimes bands can have what's called a double contract cos I was speaking to some guy who knows some band at some festival and he said you can have contracts that say stuff like that and shit so it's not entirely impossible that No Sleeping will do the vinyl. No Sleeps do good vinyl so it makes sense that they do a The Dispute vinyl no matter what other label Las Disputes is with and stuff.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif