So that Failure Black Friday LP wasn't sanctioned by the band

jb412

Oh boy...via Failure's FB page (https://www.facebook.com/Failureband/posts/268029976681342)

If you want to own a copy of our Magnified album on Vinyl, then you'll have to wait until someone actually releases it. The recent release by ORG music, claiming to be our album Magnified, is not. The people over at ORG Music, or perhaps the people at Rhino, (the catalog arm of Warner Bros) decided that they didn't need to check with the band before pressing, and actually left off a very important piece of the album. There is a Segue that comes right after the title track, that was left off. We are not talking about a disagreement in the quality of the mastering, or the type of Vinyl used. They actually left off content. Granted it was a Segue of roughly a minute and half in length, but to us, it is a very critical piece that is important to the flow of the album. Anyone who really knows the band's material, would know that Segues are one of our hallmarks. The one they left off is a particularly significant one that is a clear precursor to what we ultimately did with Segues on Fantastic Planet.

How this happened is anybody's guess, as the people we have spoken with so far are already pointing fingers at each other with no one willing to accept responsibility. It has nothing to do with the time restrictions of Vinyl, as there is clearly plenty of room at the end of Side A for the 1:40 Segue. This appears to be a simple case of negligence.

It is very easy for a label to get in touch with us, but even if one can't be bothered to spend the time and effort to contact the creators, and have them approve a new master before release, how hard is it to actually check the Vinyl Master against the CD or Digital version of the album, which are readily available, and as we intended, before you press up and release a 12"? 

So, for the people who already bought this impostor, we're sorry you were duped. If your a collector type, maybe you'll be into this sort of thing. And for people who are thinking about buying it, we recommend that you not. At least not until they decide to put out the actual album we made. 

-Ken Andrews

The segue always catches me off guard because it sounds almost exactly like Segue 3 on Fantastic Planet. I didn't even notice it was missing and I can't say it really bothers me that it is. That being said, it's pretty shitty and kind of really stupid to press and release 98% of a record.

AND the band obviously was not completely opposed to this coming out. When the reunion was announced someone had asked on Facebook about repressing their material and someone from the band replied that Magnified would be out in November.

I thought this was pretty silly TBH. I totally see where Ken is coming from but there's not really a need to demonize ORG here. They did what they had to do to attain the rights and materials needed to press an album that had never been available on vinyl before. I feel like any anger should be directed towards Rhino/Warner. I would really be surprised if the omissions on the vinyl were ORG's decision since they normally do great work.

Ken was probably just upset he didn't get a check from this. If he cared so much they could have gotten Comfort (which ORG also did) and Magnified pressed and made Fantastic Planet more available than the limited release that's now impossible for fans to get for under $100.

But oh well.. here's to a widely available, officially-sanctioned vinyl boxset sometime in the next year (hopefully).