Instagram Record A Day

IanRees

Music was made to be listened to, not just kept on a shelf and brought out for 30 seconds while the owner gets arty for an Instagram photo

Yeah but... how can you tell people aren't listening to their records just because they took a picture? Taking photos of my stuff is all part of the physical/tactile attraction of collecting vinyl.

Well, if the records are in a wall frame I can understand that they're probably not played. But I guess some people take the photos before/after they spin 'em. I do, anyway. There's more light on my table/shelf unit than there is near my turntable so the photos turn out better. I follow a few people on instagram/tumblr etc that take photos while the record spins and you can't see shit, just a blurry label.

I guess about 30-40% of my instagram friends regularly post vinyl/music related posts anyway, so don't think I'm spamming people that much. At least it's not pictures of food or reposted twee feel-good bollocks. Was thinking about a separate instagram account just for this kind of thing but AFAIK the only way to do that on your phone is to log in and out each time.

So, I'm curious to know, what do all your friends think about your posts now? OR are most of you having separate accounts for the vinyl post?

My posts now are exactly the same as before. Except now I tag #januaryrecordaday instead of #vinyl etc... Anyone that spends more than a glancing look at my profile will see that.

I have been posting different records on my Facebook than IG though. Just to really nail home the point that I like music

Well, if the records are in a wall frame I can understand that they're probably not played. But I guess some people take the photos before/after they spin 'em. I do, anyway. There's more light on my table/shelf unit than there is near my turntable so the photos turn out better. I follow a few people on instagram/tumblr etc that take photos while the record spins and you can't see shit, just a blurry label.

i always photograph my shit on the turntable.

if i want a good shot of the record itself i will turn off the motor while it's playing so i can get a still shot with the needle on, other than that i close the lid and take pictures of the cover ontop of the lid, with the record spinning behind it.

So, I'm curious to know, what do all your friends think about your posts now? OR are most of you having separate accounts for the vinyl post?

i was starting to feel bad- but if one of my followers gets sick of seeing a record tucked in among the selfies/dogs/food/sunsets/thermometers, then they can suck it

Can't wait to do this when I get home.  I'm a little late so going to have to start on day 7 (or has it been ok to go back and do the previous days?)  I'm excited to look through pics of what people have been posting.  Is it most common to just search the tag on IG and look through the pics there or is there another application/process most of you are using?

If you want to check me out http://instagram.com/babyfrog84 or @babyfrog84 as well since they'll be automatically uploaded to Twitter.  Going to post my first one tonight when I get home but I already had assorted pictures of some of the vinyl I own on my IG feed if anyone wants to take a look.

I feel if someone who follows you has a problem with you posting a record a day then really they shouldn't follow you to begin with. It is YOUR Instagram and that is obviously one of your interests. I don't see it as spam at all.

If I get sick of someone posting a million pictures of their babies I just unfollow em.

I have been linking Most if my posts to Facebook so they have been showing up there as well. If people get annoyed with the one post I do a day then sucks for them and they can unfollow me. I did have one of my friends email me yesterday about a job coming up and she mentioned the record posts and how it looked like I was having fun lol.