PO : Sunn O))) : LA REH 012

Yes. You don't need weed.That's what all people who don't smoke weed say. But if you do smoke weed, you'll understand. You don't need to be stoned to enjoy stoner rock but there's a reason it's called stoner rock. You don't need to eat mushrooms before listening to Sleep's Dopesmoker with headphones on at full volume but then you also don't feel like you're floating in a bubble with Jesus surfing sonic waves of pure riffage that make you feel as if the two hemispheres of your brain are slowly being separated by the vibrations. You may HEAR the train coming at you in Boris' Amplifer Worship while sober but it feels like it's gonna run you the fuck over when listening to that shit while stoned out of your god damn gourd.

You guys are right you don't NEED drugs to enjoy this music but there's a reason terms like "acid rock" and "stoner rock" exist and there's definitely a reason for bands like Spacemen 3 to make an album called Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To.

I wish I could upvote this more than once.

Yes. You don't need weed.That's what all people who don't smoke weed say. But if you do smoke weed, you'll understand. You don't need to be stoned to enjoy stoner rock but there's a reason it's called stoner rock. You don't need to eat mushrooms before listening to Sleep's Dopesmoker with headphones on at full volume but then you also don't feel like you're floating in a bubble with Jesus surfing sonic waves of pure riffage that make you feel as if the two hemispheres of your brain are slowly being separated by the vibrations. You may HEAR the train coming at you in Boris' Amplifer Worship while sober but it feels like it's gonna run you the fuck over when listening to that shit while stoned out of your god damn gourd.

You guys are right you don't NEED drugs to enjoy this music but there's a reason terms like "acid rock" and "stoner rock" exist and there's definitely a reason for bands like Spacemen 3 to make an album called Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To.

I have never listened to Sunn without weed (or most music for that matter) and I honestly couldn't say that I have felt any of that or that weed enhances the music. Dunno what you are smoking...

Listen to the music loud and you should understand. I could just be delusionally high though.

Guest Justin Maheiny

I have never listened to Sunn without weed (or most music for that matter) and I honestly couldn't say that I have felt any of that or that weed enhances the music. Dunno what you are smoking...

Listen to the music loud and you should understand. I could just be delusionally high though.

If you don't think music sounds better while you're stoned, you aren't getting high enough. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks gummi candy is like the best thing ever when really high. Or that going to a sporting event, a movie, or having sex is way better after eating a brownie and taking a bunch of bong rips right? Music isn't any different. If you think nothing changes when you're stoned, I have no idea why you're getting stoned.

Guest Justin Maheiny

Let's all just get stoned and live life stoned because being stoned makes things better when you're stoned so we can live a stoned life that'd be better than if we weren't stoned because everything is stoned when you're stoned and that's better.

The last verse applies to you.

http://youtu.be/e3Ukd74TmeA

Derek & amnstypls, I'd recommend starting out with Monolith's and Dimensions.  I think it's Sunn's most accessible work (which still isn't saying a lot).  I'd also recommend headphones or an occasion where you can listen to it loud.  It's not really background music, it's something to get lost in.  I'll find myself reading or whatever and sometimes a riff will come up and I'll completely lose track of what I was doing.  Other entries would probably be Black1 or White1/2.  I also think they take some time and effort to really get into.  It's not something that grabbed me on the first or probably even the tenth listen, but I found it fascinating and kept going back and now I'm hooked.

White 2 and Monoliths are good starting points, Oracle too. They have so much stuff to plow through, it's a bit confusing at first. This music and band especially is made to be enjoyed in hi-fi soundsystems, at very loud volumes if possible, sure headphone work too, but i feel that through soundsystem speakers, the music feel more like a very warm blanket ( a very dark one too) , it litterally fills the room.

I once used Sunn0)))'s music at very loud volume to annoy some very douchy club going assholes living upstairs from my appartment, they used to wake up my kid at night with their shitty club music and loud noises, after 2 days straight Of Sunn's Discography on repeat at very loud volume ( i was away with the wife and kid ) , i can say that i never heard a beep again since. Totaly worth the letter i received form my landlord afterward..So there you go, Sunn's music can also be used as a weapon against douchy assholes... Bonus right here!!!

Other drone bands to check out  : Earth ( early stuff is drone, new stuff is more Morricone-esque ), Valeri Fabrikant, Thrones,

Also to keep on topic, i ordered this album the minute it poped online, and i can't wait to blast it at very loud volume...

I'd just like to say that Sunn weren't the first with the whole "Maximum volume yields maximum results".

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band did it all the way back in 1965 on the back of their self titled. It says;
"We suggest that you play this record at the highest possible volume in order to fully appreciate the sound of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band"

I'd go with Grimmrobe Demos at first and check if the whole black mantra will do anything for you. They would wear out this approach in the two following albums and then open their scope from White 1 and so on. They kinda turned into a whole different deal with Monoliths&Dimensions, while still sounding heavy.

It's interesting that once the first albums click and you're familiar with their wall of distortion and riffs, you'll immerse on the more experimental records that are not necessarilly as heavy (or at least a bit away from the Earth 2 worship) but your ears will be eager to get some massive distortion, seeking it amongst their new sound experiments. Sometimes they'll deliver it (like going from the intricate Big Church to the raw Hunting&Gathering) and it feels good to find them again in familiar territory.

Southern Lord has been giving away these sick looking glass ornaments along to people who order from their Sunn store.

I confess. Had considered getting it before but this made me pull the trigger on La Reh

1545111_579445268792113_283028129_n.jpg

Have to admit I've yet to listen to a single thing from them. Had their discography sitting on my hard drive over a year back until the drive failed. Been meaning to give a listen but just haven't got around to it.

That's soon about to change though.

Have to admit. I have yet to listen to a single thing from them. Had their discography sitting on my hard drive over a year back until the drive failed. Been meaning to give a listen but just haven't got around to it.

That's soon about to change though.

They have their entire catalogue streaming on their bandcamp, save you some trouble of tracking things down : http://sunn.bandcamp.com/

I haven't listened to this band much, but I went to go see them at a festival two years ago. It was the loudest goddamn thing ever, and it made my bones vibrate throughout my body. My friend threw up as soon as we walked out. So, if getting your entire body fucked up due to music sounds good, maybe this is your thing. I've never had a physiological reaction like that to music before.

This Anthony Fantano video was my first contact with them. He gives a very similar description. Definitely caught my attention. I'd love to go to one of their shows. Getting blown away by the sheer physicality of music sounds right up my alley. Most doom bands manage to get into your intestines but I reckon nothing's as intense as their wall of amps.

Listened to Black One yesterday and liked it. Pretty intense. I imagine it's not as affective through headphones though so can't wait to give it a good listen through big speakers. Definitely not surprised at anyone being concerned about neighbours hating them.

Was lucky to be one of the last three to receive that glass ornament. I'm interested in how they package that thing in with the vinyl and whether the shipping's going to cost more for it. Who knows, maybe it's not as heavy as I imagine it to be? Very stoked either way.

Guest Justin Maheiny

Listened to Black One yesterday and liked it. Pretty intense. I imagine it's not as affective through headphones though so can't wait to give it a good listen through big speakers. Definitely not surprised at anyone being concerned about neighbours hating them.

You need better headphones. Pretty sure you're not going to be able recreate the live experience at home without blowing your speakers or getting arrested.

The names were listed on the Southern Lord FB. They did the giveaway twice in 24 hours with no information as to what these things actually are.

So as for what the deal with them is, I have no idea. But they are sick looking and I am more than happy to decorate my home with it.

It actually reminds me of this Soviet spinny metal thing a neighbour of mine used to have when I was little, that you could stand or sit and spin around on. That was one sick wheel of dizziness. Maybe this is more of the same? I sure hope so. I also hope I don't receive a deadly package of purple shards.

As for recreating the live experience, I can imagine that to be impossible with any type of headphones or home entertainment system.