SXSW 2014

stl_ben

This will be my third year in a row going. I always just crash with a buddy who lives in Austin, and then we just plan out all the free shows we want to go to (normally we find them on do512.com). Im not sure if you are getting a sxsw badge or not, i never get one because i tend to see the same artists who are playing showcases for free some other time during the week. 

tips:

• Always have a back up plan
  • Follow all you favorite sxsw bands on twitter (secret shows)
  • Support local business
  • Be prepared to walk a TON
  • Free taxi service by Chevy if you flag down one of their many marked cars
  • Auditorium shores always has some pretty killer shows for free

thats it for now

parking isn't bad if you go to an early show and stay out all day.

I never buy a badge. just pay cover at the shows I want to go to and RSVP for any free shows early online. i guess the downside is that you can't really show hop, but I just pick a showcase I like each night and stick there.

some shows are listed as "badge only", but typically if you reach out to whoever's hosting the showcase, they'll hook you up regardless of whether you have a badge or not. promoting's the name of the game, and they'll help out fans that want to go.

have little expectations and enjoy the hell out of yourself.  it's really hard to have a bad time or eat bad food.

as someone who's been going the past 16 years i can say this is the best info. ^^^^^

first of all, where are you staying? even a bike might not work well depending on where you're coming from. most buses dont' run past 11pm. 

personally, i'd say rent a car and come early and park as close to lamar on 5th as you can. sure it's a walk to downtown, but when you walk back and have an easy time getting out of downtown and onto mopac (because 35 is fucked during sxsw) to go where you're going, you'll understand. Birdwell and i literally took an hour just waiting to get out of the parking lot and then another 35 plus minutes to get around the block and out of downtown. yet no waiting when we leave when we park a mile out on the wast side or on the other side of lady bird lake. it may be a trek when you arrive, or when you leave, but you'll still be saving time and gas rather than sitting in traffic for an hour to just get on the road that's blocks away. 

and if you haven't found a place yet, good luck. almost all of austin's hotels/motels are sold out by this time. not a joke. last year someone tried in january and the closest hotel was round rock or san marcos. not to mention the prices skyrocket to 3x the cost of a normal night. 

also bikes are cool, but a lot of bikes get stolen. 

if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

this year i'm attending FILM/INTERACTIVE. so much more fun and less foot traffic/fights/dumbassery.

Tip; if you like soul music, go see the pepper pots!

You don't want to miss them. They'll likely be the main reason I'm traveling to sxsw this year

Super stoked to see The Pepper Pots again this year! The first time I caught them live was at SXSW was 5 years ago, I believe. They put on a great set, and there was hardly anyone there. If you haven't checked out the new record, go get it!

I go every year, and there is tons to do. Here are a few tips:

-First off, parking meters aren't free on the weekends anymore, and most streets in the 6th street area are all jacked up. Getting a bike or walking is your best bet. Buses and trains are a good choice as well.

-RSVP for The Pure Volume House. Usually they have shitty day shows, but extremely liberal free booze. We usually all meet there to have some drinks before we go to venues to see the day shows.

-Set up a spare email address to handle all your sxsw rsvp business. You'll get shit tons of emails otherwise.

-www.showlistaustin.com This dude only lists free shows, and it's a great resource for punk/indie shows.

-Brooklyn Vegan always throws a killer day party.

-If you don't have a badge, pick one night showcase and stick with it. I have never had a problem getting into one without a badge. I'll usually get on the guestlist, or shell out 10 bucks to get in. I think the most I ever paid for a night showcase was Charles Bradley at Stubbs, and that was 20 bucks. I always go to the Fat Wreck showcase and never have any issues. Don't bother trying to get into the megashows, it'll be nearly impossible.

-Overall, there is plenty of free booze and food to go around. Make sure to pack lots of singles to tip your bartenders.

Let me know if you have any questions. I only live a couple miles from 6th, and I usually walk down there, or grab a bus. It's my favorite staycation of the year!

Im staying at Orangewood Inn which is about 8 miles from downtown (so maybe to far to bike...).

Is mass transit worth using/looking into? Or do they end at 11 even on the weekends?

if you're 8 miles you aren't that far at all. id' sugget cutting through the neighborhoods though. probably take ya about 20 minutes to get downtown. mass transit is fine, but buses run every 20 to n hour, depending on which it is. i personally hate public transpo. it takes longer to get from a to b on bus than if i walked. 

most buses end around 11. there are a few night owls though that run till 2:30am or so, but depends on where you live. 

I might be filling in for the band Mike Mains & The Branches and would be playing with them at SXSW if I end up doing the tour.  I haven't been since 2008 when I was there with Edison Glass and Blindside.  Would love to go back though.

That band is so good. I'd love to play with them.

I doubt I'll be able to make it down to Austin for SXSW this year, but it's something I'd like to do in the future for sure.

So I understand pretty well how the showcases work...but have a question about some non-Music stuff.

Flat Stock, is that open to everyone (no pass needed)?

The film stuff, panels, screenings...are these possible to get into with out passes?

Flatstock open to public

panels i don't believe are open to the public, screenings of films to my understanding you can get into if there are open seats after badges go in.....buuuuuut, I've never done anything but the music side of SXSW

• 2 weeks later...

So I understand pretty well how the showcases work...but have a question about some non-Music stuff.

Flat Stock, is that open to everyone (no pass needed)?

The film stuff, panels, screenings...are these possible to get into with out passes?

flat stock is free to the public

mostly everything else is for paid registrants. 

in other news, i got a free wristband.. whoop.. but i seriously doubt i'll use it.